Guitar tones you love and have shaped your tone..

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
Guitar Pro 5, the 'Les Paul' 'Metal Kirk - Rhythm' RSE soundbank.

Seriously. That is the best tone I have ever heard. So much low end clarity when it's down an octave.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Keith Merrows tone since he got his Rhodes Colossus, Killswitch Engage from End of Heartache to now (pre End was better music, post End is better sound :lol: )

And a tone that I've always loved since before I started playing guitar was Cradle of Filths tone on Midian... I can't get that creamy sound out of my head!

Amanita

Reaction score
Pixies, Tortoise, Neurosis, Isis, Osric Tentacles, Caspar Brotzmann, Fred Frith
and old Mastodon effin rulez :)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Lately it's been Daron Malakian on the Toxicity album. He's just got a good mix of raw heaviness and clarity. He's not necessarily a favorite player of mine, but i dig that tone and i find myself with a similar tone when i shape mine.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Early Yngwie, and Vinnie Moore's Mind's Eye and Time Odyssey albums.

phugoid

Reaction score
SRV
Eric Johnson
Satriani
Marty Friedman's lead tone on Rust in Peace
early EVH's rhythm tone

I'd like to say that they've "shaped my tone", but let's get real.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
Dimebag, Robb Flynn/Phil Demmel, and Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman, but I've always tried to stay away from copying anyone's tone, because part of being a musician is finding your own voice via your guitar tone.

Besides, almost everyone is already ripping off Dime's tone now...

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Adam Jones of Tool (you know the one...)

Aaron Turner of Isis

Aaron John Gregory of Giant Squid, the band that also renewed my efforts to find a cellist.

Mike Schiedt of Yob

Hearing these bands literally changed my life and made me reexamine the way I was approaching my art, and as a guitarist it was their guitarists whose sound and styles had the most influence on me. The tone I'm still chasing is heavily influenced by all four.

I guess I owe some credit to Andrew Southard (formerly and once again) of Giant Squid for making me want to start keys again, too!

Lifestalker

Reaction score
I ride Ron Jarzombek's dick...constantly. Love his tone. I know it's mostly due to his extremely tight/clean playing. If I remember correctly, he still uses the Johnson J Station to record then adds effects later on.

I can't shape my tone to match all of these but, I love them for unexplainable reasons.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Keith Merrow might be my biggest influence tone wise, however I feel like my tone itself is pretty unique.

')