Guitar World Announce their Guitarist of the Decade as voted for by the readers

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Their songs are... very... listenable. I quite like these to jam along to and sing along to with the kids. He's a killer rock rhythm "riff" writer:

Funny side note... Tremonti is a TERRIBLE singer. (trying to find the live video where Myles looks at him like dude wtf)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
If they traded their vocalist for a hot chick with some operatic skills, I might actually like them

Not feeling it with this guy, though

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
If they traded their vocalist for a hot chick with some operatic skills, I might actually like them

Not feeling it with this guy, though
I wonder what makes you think someone being female and attractive would make a better singer.
Also Myles Kennedy has some killer pipes and I'd choose him over Stapp and Axl Rose (Myles is the vocalist for Slash's solo band) any day.

Adieu

Reaction score
I wonder what makes you think someone being female and attractive would make a better singer.
Also Myles Kennedy has some killer pipes and I'd choose him over Stapp and Axl Rose (Myles is the vocalist for Slash's solo band) any day.

...i don't like listening to dudes sing.

It's like how women's beach volleyball is infinitely superior. Because they're not dudes.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
This really turned into the "Tremonti isn't that bad" thread very quickly, especially when videos of Tosin and his influence don't even need to be posted. It's not unfair to say this magazine's readers are just wrong.

Not to mention Strandberg basically owes their existence to Tosin.

ikarus

Reaction score
Here is the one with Tosin. Are wer sure that it is even a ranking since it says guitaristS?

Y2WIIM.jpg

DeathbyDesign

*Palm Muting Intensifies*
Reaction score
A terrible singer? He's not the greatest singer of all time, but he certainly isn't "terrible".

I saw Tremonti open for Trivium a couple of years ago out here in AZ and I was surprised. The band sounded really good and his vocals were pretty close to the records. I like Tremonti more than Alter Bridge.

Reaction score
This really turned into the "Tremonti isn't that bad" thread very quickly, especially when videos of Tosin and his influence don't even need to be posted. It's not unfair to say this magazine's readers are just wrong.

Not to mention Strandberg basically owes their existence to Tosin.
Sorry. I have to disagree with you. Tosin has very little influence over the guitar community when compared to Tremonti. You really don't see a lot of his signature guitars popping up in the hands of consumers, nor his Fishman Fluence pickups, or cover videos or just about anything Tosin related other than mentions in articles and threads that basically boil down to "yeah, he plays guitar". Have you seen any footage of Animals As Leaders playing the huge rock & metal festivals? I haven't...

Even looking at album sales and chart positions, Alter Bridge has Animals As Leaders beat by leaps and bounds.

Alter Bridge's debut album sold 750 000 copies. Peaked US charts at #5 & certified RIAA Gold. Subsequent albums were BPI silver. Even Tremonti's solo album Cauterize charted higher in the US (at position 20) than any Animals as Leaders album.

Animals as Leaders highest US chart position was 23 with The Joy of Motion which sold 50 000 copies and none of their albums are certified by either RIAA or BPI.

Apples to apples comparisons with quantifiable data kinda support's the GW reader's opinions.

I saw Tremonti open for Trivium a couple of years ago out here in AZ and I was surprised. The band sounded really good and his vocals were pretty close to the records. I like Tremonti more than Alter Bridge.
I agree. I think Tremonti as a solo artists produces better music. There's only a couple of AB songs that I really like.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Duh, pop music will always sell more than music you actually might have to activate three or four brain cells to enjoy.
Tremonti probably sells a lot more gear to people who are just starting out, or think they might wanna play because their exposure to "guitar music" consists of what they heard on the radio. As far as what I would call the actual "guitar community" guys like Abasi and Govan are more or less like the Satriani and Vai of the era. If we start equating popularity to quality, guitar music is gonna be dead like everyone says it is already soon enough. Next thing you'll see one of the dinguses from FFDP on one of these polls.....

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I'm just amazed Zakk Wylde isn't on one of the covers.
He would be if it were up to me. I know he's a polarizing person, and I know people hate his overuse of pinch harmonics, but if we're talking most accomplished guitarists he should be up there. And he has a pretty good voice when he wants to. He's the guy that got me into guitar, so maybe my opinion is biased.

I've never once considered Tremonti for his playing or his influence, just the stuff I've listened to I've never crossed paths with his music. I remember early in his career he was kind of a meme, but as far as I can tell he's gotten much better over the years and writes good stuff. Not really able to give a good opinion though, because he's just never been an entity to me.

Much the same, Tosin hasn't influenced me at all. Monster player, sure, but I would bet most guitarists don't even know who he is unless they happened to see him at Generation Axe or something. I only know of him because of this place. He's probably influenced a lot less people just because of how niche his sound and guitar brand is.

In any case, Guitar World awards are kind of meaningless anyways. Those magazines became irrelevant to me ever since the internet was created. Am I dating myself here...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
you mean really boring?
Abasi I don't know well enough to weigh in on - what I've heard is very unique, but also not really for me.

Govan... I don't love his solo playing or his style when left to his own devices, but he's a stupendous guitarist and I've really enjoyed what he can bring to a band situaiton. His playing on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Ghost Stories)" was fucking stunning.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
It's always interesting to see what people are noting in their own exploration of music or the circles they work in. For the last 8-9 years Tosin, Misha, the 'Shuggah dudes, Lucas Mann, Sarah Longfield, John Browne, etc always come up in conversation about guitars/music, but I don't think I've heard one person mention Tremonti since Creed was still a thing. But then it seems a lot of people have the exact opposite experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')