Guitar World Announce their Guitarist of the Decade as voted for by the readers

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
You know what I think the difference is? Nita is presented as guitarist first instead of a woman first. There's no shortage of "guitar chick" sex objects, so to speak, but we're seeing more and more women being treated as musicians first. Her praise is earned via her playing instead of her outfit.

I would disagree this. She's been previously known from an all female Iron Maiden cover band... and it would be stupid to say that looks don't matter in her case, when it obviously does.

And guitar playing being a highly physical act... I don't know what's the fuss about saying it like that. Music isn't sports and it involves lot of other traits too, but it's still how it is.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
for you maybe

While I'm sure there are people who, for physical reasons, cannot play guitar, I highly doubt there is a meaningful divide based primarily on gender.

While women have on average 30% less skeletal muscle (upper body), is that conceivably enough to make a low impact physical activity like guitar difficult for an average, healthy person?

efiltsohg

Reaction score
While I'm sure there are people who, for physical reasons, cannot play guitar, I highly doubt there is a meaningful divide based primarily on gender.

While women have on average 30% less skeletal muscle (upper body), is that conceivably enough to make a low impact physical activity like guitar difficult for an average, healthy person?

i was just making a half assed movie reference

Metropolis

Reaction score

Probably not too much, but you can sometimes hear lack of strength in vibrato and picking technique along female players, generally they play so much differently. Couple of I've listened and watched recently; Lari Basilio, really delicate and classy sounding fusion style with nice phrasing and all that, but just lacking in vibrato. Same goes with Sarah Longfield, tapping for days but there is just no feel, something is just missing. What I'm trying to say that these players often choose that kind of playing style partly because of their physique.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably not too much, but you can sometimes hear lack of strength in vibrato and picking technique along female players, generally they play so much differently. Couple of I've listened and watched recently; Lari Basilio, really delicate and classy sounding fusion style with nice phrasing and all that, but just lacking in vibrato. Same goes with Sarah Longfield, tapping for days but there is just no feel, something is just missing. What I'm trying to say that these players often choose that kind of playing style partly because of their physique.

Eh, doesn't really track to me.

There are plenty of players of all stripes that have mediocre vibrato, and plenty that simply don't engage vibrato the same way.

It just sounds like you're reaching for a "scientific" reason to an issue that's purely emotional, whether that's your intent or not.

I'm not calling you sexist. I just don't think you have this right. :)

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score

I call bullshit on this. In standard tuning, I can only really bend/vibrato on 9s, maybe 10s on a good day, yet an ex girlfriend played 11s all-day everyday. Gender has fuck all to do with that.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, doesn't really track to me.

There are plenty of players of all stripes that have mediocre vibrato, and plenty that simply don't engage vibrato the same way.

It just sounds like you're reaching for a "scientific" reason to an issue that's purely emotional, whether that's your intent or not.

There have been a couple of youtube videos exploring this. If those are to be beleved as accurate, then this idea is plausibly correct. On the other hand, it might be audible differences in vibrato due to cultural reasons. But, at any rate, there is no data proving that female player's vibrato reaches as wide as the typical male's, and there is a ton of anecdotal evidence and the logical conclusions drawn from basical physiological data that such is the case.

That's not to say that narrower vibrato is a negative thing, either. There are plenty of female guitarists who play perfectly.

TL;DR - he might not be right, but he's probably not wrong...

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score

It is sexist. I'm pretty sure I would be fired or at least talkedto by HR if I spewed what was said at work.

But, at any rate, there is no data proving that female player's vibrato reaches as wide as the typical male's, and there is a ton of anecdotal evidence and the logical conclusions drawn from basical physiological data that such is the case.

TL;DR - he might not be right, but he's probably not wrong...

The lack of data proving something relatively specific does not disprove it. If you have any evidence to prove that women vibrato on average is less wide and you can prove it is due to physiological differences, please present it. Otherwise you are just pushing conspiracy

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
it would be stupid to say that looks don't matter in her case, when it obviously does.
I stand by what I said. I didn't know her from that other band, and I have zero interest in her looks. That cover isn't presenting her as a sex object, even if you've personally decided that she's attractive.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Very rarely does talking about women on the internet end well.

Nowadays it ends being offended. Meaning that there is no data about it doesn't mean that this phenomenon doesn't exist, because it's in the ears of a listener. Which may not again have too much to do with a players gender. Sometimes I just think why there is not just as good female players and why they generally don't have the same touch to an instrument.

I call bullshit on this. In standard tuning, I can only really bend/vibrato on 9s, maybe 10s on a good day, yet an ex girlfriend played 11s all-day everyday. Gender has fuck all to do with that.

That's one case... different styles, guitars etc. maybe? I wouldn't play on 11's in standard tuning and prefer 9's or 10's.

Troy Grady should do a scientific as possible video about playing mechanics between similar style players of different gender. But he would still end up called a sexist motherfucker :fawk:

I've seen videos about where people tried to guess players gender only by listening them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')