Guitar World Announce their Guitarist of the Decade as voted for by the readers

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adieu

Reaction score
So what's the real reason there, is it culture related? Why there is no female Yngwie, Vai or Satch? Or maybe some more modern guitar heroes like Tosin, Misha or Plini? Is it too manly thing to do, play in a rock... metal band? And no, Nita Strauss isn't one.

Japan usually has a few, BUT... they consistently tend to grow overproduced and end up repackaged into an ageing pop-idol-ish glam band circa album #4 or 5

Once they bust out the manicures, glitter, and lip gloss, the end is predictably nigh

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
So what's the real reason there, is it culture related? Why there is no female Yngwie, Vai or Satch? Or maybe some more modern guitar heroes like Tosin, Misha or Plini? Is it too manly thing to do, play in a rock... metal band? And no, Nita Strauss isn't one.

Ohh well when you put it like that then of course you're right, how stupid am I........?! Why is there no female Yngwie or Vai? what kind of argument is that? I'll bite tho..... Where are all the other male Yngwie's or Vai's? There arent any beacuse there is & can only ever be one Yngwie, one Vai, one Satch, one Nita Strauss, one Jennifer Batten, one Nili Brosh, one Bonnie Raitt, one Tina S, one Nancy Wilson, and one you and one me

TBH I am convinced you're just trolling on this for the sake of having an arugment..... I'm not gonna indulge you on this mate and carry on defending or trying to prove to you why women are equally capable of playing the guitar as well as men, because its so obvious why you're wrong. You wanna voice your opinion on indivdual guitarist male or female and why you think they arent good enough then no one will have an issue with you on that as thats your right, but as you are claiming half of the human race cannot do something as well as the other half because they are the wrong sex, you really need a little word with yourself and perhaps talk to the odd female every so often...... You wanna carry this on remember you brought this up and claimed it as fact on this thread and over the course of 3 or 4 pages serveral people have responded and asked you to clairfy and prove why your right with anything other than your own opinion and so far you have offered nothing other than you just keep stating your right and how you arent being sexist (sure sign you are being sexist if you have to keep saying your not being!) and then you troll somemore on those arguing against you and keep avoiding answering anyone.... so why don't you prove to us all why you're right and its not just you hating on women out of some sense of inadequacy at having to admit that a woman could be equal to or better than a man at playing the guitar? That would be pretty "manly" of you if you did...... Edit: Why not post a video up of your playing and one of any female player you want and point out all the area's where you are so much better because your a man?

Last edited:

stevexc

Reaction score
Is this issue even on shelves yet? Anyone have an e-sub to GW?

I used to subscribe to all the mags, but it's been several years.

Saw it on the shelf the other day but didn't grab it (because I frankly don't give a shit). But I did take a peek at the digital preview on GW's site. There is no ranking whatsoever, just a list of 20 players.

TL;DR: Tremonti is dumb (or, more likely, misinformed by the UG article calling him number one); Nita Strauss shreds regardless of what's between her legs; vibrato is not hormone-dependant; @Metropolis is being a raging sexist (there's your name calling for you).

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Saw it on the shelf the other day but didn't grab it (because I frankly don't give a shit). But I did take a peek at the digital preview on GW's site. There is no ranking whatsoever, just a list of 20 players.

TL;DR: Tremonti is dumb (or, more likely, misinformed by the UG article calling him number one)

My OP was based off Tremonti Facebook post that UG were referencing. I wont get this edition in the UK till Jan some time so I had no idea beyond that UG article and his presumptous post on Facebook to name himself as #1 that it was actually 4 differnet covers and a list of 20 in no particular order

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didn't know he is long before I got to this forum. They have the McCarty, so I figured Tremonti was just a model name too.
Ted McCarty was the President of Gibson Guitars from 1950-1966, and oversaw what was considered the "golden age" of the company. Paul Reed Smith kept seeing the guy's name on Gibson patents so made a point of getting in touch with him, and McCarty ended up being a consultant for PRS for a number of years. The McCarty, a more Gibson-spec guitar than is typical of PRS, was named in recognition of his contributions both at Gibson and at PRS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_McCarty

...not that anyone cares, because we're now talking about women in music. :lol:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ted McCarty was the President of Gibson Guitars from 1950-1966, and oversaw what was considered the "golden age" of the company. Paul Reed Smith kept seeing the guy's name on Gibson patents so made a point of getting in touch with him, and McCarty ended up being a consultant for PRS for a number of years. The McCarty, a more Gibson-spec guitar than is typical of PRS, was named in recognition of his contributions both at Gibson and at PRS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_McCarty

...not that anyone cares, because we're now talking about women in music. :lol:
I know all that now, but when first finding PRS all the guitar names seemed pretty random and basically identical. Like Ibanez names but with words instead of letters and numbers.

mastapimp

Reaction score

I think they are ranked by number. Mateus Asato posted a scan of the page he appears on. He's ranked #9, ahead of (10) John Mayer, (11) Jason Richardson, (12) St. Vincent, (13) Synyster Gates.
78996865_2533457103545873_1893862195628867584_o.jpg

Metropolis

Reaction score
This thread is hilarious... one small argument can be turned into some stupid labels "place label here" by some raging feminist. Men do lots of things at top level better than women, and women do some things also better. Best these kind of people can do is take a sentence and turn it into completely something else. And critizing something, someone etc. doesn't have to never mean that who does criticizm should do it someway better.

Last edited:

Descent

Reaction score
Ouch...he's not a bad player but that just tells you how bad the general public is when it comes to good musicians and songwriters, they basically could've voted Dave Grohl with almost the same success...or wait, maybe he was in the running?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious... one small argument can be turned into some stupid labels "place label here" by some raging feminist. Men do lots of things at top level better than women, and women do some things also better. Best these kind of people can do is take a sentence and turn it into completely something else. And critizing something, someone etc. doesn't have to never mean that who does criticizm should do it someway better.
No one is being a raging feminist. People are asking why, physiologically, the best violinists and pianists in the world can be women but not guitarists. And you're ducking the question.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
No one is being a raging feminist. People are asking why, physiologically, the best violinists and pianists in the world can be women but not guitarists. And you're ducking the question.

I agree that greatness is not determined by gender, but your claim that "the best violinists and pianists in the world can be women," if you mean that the most acclaimed violinists and pianists are just as likely to be female as male, isn't universally agreed. For example, this list of greatest violinists has only one female on it. If you have a list that has 50% females on it, though, feel free to make that point. Same goes for piano.

Again, not saying you are wrong, just, from a strength-of-argument perspective, maybe you aren't really doing your own argument any more good than harm. Generally speaking, music schools are about 2 to 1 male to female, so women just don't choose music as a career as often as men do. There might be a few reasons why. Maybe it's systematic or institutional, or maybe there really are biological gender biases.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I agree that greatness is not determined by gender, but your claim that "the best violinists and pianists in the world can be women," if you mean that the most acclaimed violinists and pianists are just as likely to be female as male, isn't universally agreed. For example, this list of greatest violinists has only one female on it. If you have a list that has 50% females on it, though, feel free to make that point. Same goes for piano.

Again, not saying you are wrong, just, from a strength-of-argument perspective, maybe you aren't really doing your own argument any more good than harm. Generally speaking, music schools are about 2 to 1 male to female, so women just don't choose music as a career as often as men do. There might be a few reasons why. Maybe it's systematic or institutional, or maybe there really are biological gender biases.

What kind of sexist lists are those... Went to look couple of lists about singers, other was rock, pop, soul and so on, and the other classical/opera singers. Both lists had roughly 50/50 male and female.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

Don't worry, your lists of mostly dead white dudes has me convinced that there are no good pianists or violinists under 70.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
or maybe there really are biological gender biases.

The problem is that this has been debunked, debunked, and debunked over and over again yet people still try to discuss this point. There is no evidence that's actually statistically significant in even the loosest of definitions that says women are physiologically/biologically disadvantaged when it comes to playing musical instruments. None. The reason why there are more male musicians than female historically is women weren't allowed to as they were seen as inferior to men and similply weren't allowed to takeup a "man's job.' This culture/attitude/bias has taken fucking centuries to stamp out and it's because people keep trying to rationalise in whatever insane way that somehow men make better musicians. You can see data trending from year to year the number of women musicians increasing as attitudes and cultures change which is a good thing.

I'm not going to comment anymore unless someone has an intelligent rebuttal because I'm THIS close to going personal and I don't feel like @MaxOfMetal or @Randy banning me at the moment for doing so.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry, your lists of mostly dead white dudes has me convinced that there are no good pianists or violinists under 70.
Not my lists, but people under 70 are better represented on those lists than women.

Obviously people are so enraged by the topic that they all want to say something about it, whether it makes sense or not.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not my lists, but people under 70 are better represented on those lists than women.

Obviously people are so enraged by the topic that they all want to say something about it, whether it makes sense or not.

Practically all of them came to prominence at a time when women were mostly outright excluded or socially engineered away from being professional orchestral musicians.

That's like listing the best restaurants in Poland in 1946 and not understanding why few were kosher.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Practically all of them came to prominence at a time when women were mostly outright excluded or socially engineered away from being professional orchestral musicians.

That's like listing the best restaurants in Poland in 1946 and not understanding why few were kosher.
The claim was that the greatest violinists and pianists are women. I merely stated that's not a universal opinion and posted direct evidence (and invited contrary evidence). I never said why.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
the weird sexism of a bunch of male nerds thinking they need to write paragraphs and paragraphs defending, er, virtuoso female violinists

end result of your entire sexual development being summed up by the MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
')