Guitar World Announce their Guitarist of the Decade as voted for by the readers

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
75310401_10157298227253558_720409566231134208_o.jpg

Alter Bridge Offical Facebook Quote:
"Mark Tremonti - Guitarist Of The Decade! #1 thanks to our friends at Guitar World and to everyone who voted!!"

https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/posts/10157298231088558

Transcription of the Vai Headcutting Duel from Crossroads too :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I mean, good for him or whatever, but this could be seen as more of an indictment than accolade.

The narrative popular in music journalism is that guitar-based rock is on the decline, and having this go to someone who made their bones in the 90s (but still hanging-around now) does little to refute this. Who'd he edge-out, Dave Grohl or Billy Corgan?

Joan Maal

Reaction score
¿¿¿ Tremonti ??? The rest of the list has to be funny

Reaction score
I think Mark is a phenomenal guitarist but I probably wouldn't call him the guitarist of the decade...
Guys like Tosin/Gregg from Allegaeon have literally been doing really interesting stuff musically for 10 years now.

Honestly, this is incredibly long deserved for him. I've listened to Creed since Human Clay (took a lot of flak in school for that too), but even then he was an awesome guitar player. Then, his song writing in Alter Bridge and his solo stuff is top notch.

I think the other thing that needs to be considered here is that Mark's influence in the guitar community is much more vast than that of many of the other guitarists at the moment. His endorsement with PRS has lasted for freaking ever and he was one of the original two (Santana being the other). His sigs actually sell not only to hard rock & metal guys but appeal to just about everyone. His signature amp is WILDLY praised all over the internet, I think he has the most popular lessons over at Fret12. Not to mention how much he tours for both shows and clinics...

When you throw in how great of a songwriter he is, his influence and his work ethic, it's definitely easier to see why he's the top pick.

wankerness

Reaction score
I mean, good for him or whatever, but this could be seen as more of an indictment than accolade.

The narrative popular in music journalism is that guitar-based rock is on the decline, and having this go to someone who made their bones in the 90s (but still hanging-around now) does little to refute this. Who'd he edge-out, Dave Grohl or Billy Corgan?

agreed with all of this. I had no idea this guy was even still playing after Creed broke up!

Dave Grohl at least is still mega-famous!

mastapimp

Reaction score
I think Mark is a phenomenal guitarist but I probably wouldn't call him the guitarist of the decade...
Guys like Tosin/Gregg from Allegaeon have literally been doing really interesting stuff musically for 10 years now.
The man has skills but I agree that he's not someone I'd put on the "top guitarist" list for any of the last 10 years. I guess he's the closest we have to a traditional guitar hero these days that puts out commercially accepted music and plays a somewhat "normal" guitar.

I didn't even know he was still touring...must have missed him as opener for all those Sevendust dates last year.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Mark Tremonti is one of those guys who seems to be all over guitar magazines etc but I don't know anybody who actually listens to or claims influence from him

edit: he does have some great gear though

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
agreed with all of this. I had no idea this guy was even still playing after Creed broke up!
The first two Alter Bridge albums are actually really good. Third would have been too if it wasn't smashed to fuck in the mastering stage.

I like Tremonti, no shame there. Writes killer riffs, the first Creed album was great and all the shittiness after that was mostly Scott Stapp's fault, and between the demise of Creed and the first AB album the guy put some serious time in woodshedding and working with Troy Stetina. These days, seeing that guy getting prominent thanks in the liner notes of an album is pretty damned cool.

Guitarist of the decade, eeeeeh.... But, I dig his playing.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Tremonti is a good player. No questions there. But guitarist of the decade? I’m not even into Animals As Leaders as much as I was when the first record came out, but Even I’d say Tosin deserves the title. Ultra creative, does try to keep pushing boundaries, and he’s managed SOME mainstream crossover, as minor as it may be.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
Ah yes, when people think of music in the 2010s, the first person they think of is Mark Tremonti. 2010 - 2019, forever known as the era of the tribal tattoo and oversized barbell earrings.
That's pretty optimistic about the era ending :D

Sollipsist

Reaction score
A group of musicians that listen to a niche sub-genre of a niche genre on a forum for niche guitars find this an odd choice.
And on the other side of the spectrum, TDPRI finds him an odd choice for the exact opposite reasons :D

I suspect it's like the Oscars or Grammys, where you get an award mainly because you did something important 10-20 years ago that they ignored in favor of the flavor of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')