Guitar World - Vulgar Display of Power

• Thread starter bradthelegend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a place where I can view articles from Guitar World's rig section, "Vulgar Display of Power?" (it's the last page of every issue) I don't want to have to track down back issues just to read one page.

Specifically, I'm interested in the December 2010 issue with SS.org's own Alex Wade, and the January or February 2011 issue featuring Stephen Carpenter. I know there are a thousand videos/pictures/articles about both of these guys' rigs, but something about seeing it in cartoon form just makes me happy. :lol:

If anyone has these issues, could you post a pic of that page? I would be eternally grateful. :hug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I can be wrong, but maybe you can ask the guys at Guitargeek.com? I think they're the guys who put together the pictures for them. :shrug:

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
I can be wrong, but maybe you can ask the guys at Guitargeek.com? I think they're the guys who put together the pictures for them. :shrug:
I've scoured that website, but I couldn't find either. I finally found a rig for SC, but it was from 1999. I'll probably send them an email, but I imagine they'll just tell me to buy the magazine.

As to getting AlexWades' one... maybe try PMing him to see if he has a copy?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
I messaged Alex, but he hasn't replied.

I finally got my hands on the December 2010 issue, and...he wasn't in it. :mad: I guess something changed before they printed that month's issue.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
I wanna know what happend to that column. Why did they stop doing it?!?!:(

The guy from guitar geek that did the column asked for a small pay increase and Guitar World dropped the column completely. That column was one of my favorite things in the mag. Everyone should email Guitar World and ask them to bring it back!

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
The guy from guitar geek that did the column asked for a small pay increase and Guitar World dropped the column completely. That column was one of my favorite things in the mag. Everyone should email Guitar World and ask them to bring it back!

wow fail on their part! :nono:

broj15

Reaction score
i absolutely love the vulgar display section. Not only is seeing my favorite guitarists in cartoon form pretty cool, but getting a little commentary by the players themselves is nice aswell. I was so dissapointed when i didn't find it in the most recent issue i picked up

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score

I agree!!:agreed: I want that column back, I would get so excited when Id see a good metal guitarist's rig in the back of it, its just so interesting to me:yesway:

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
I must say I was pretty dissapointed when it wasnt in the last copy :noway:. That was usually the first page I opened to.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score

As I said in my original post, I've already seen the 20 different rig variations he's posted. I just wanted to see it in the magazine, in that section. Kind of like a proud parent reading about their kid in a newspaper. :lol:

Oh well, at least Guitargeek's still doing it for us on their website. :)

From what I've seen, they only have big names on the website. I couldn't even find a rig for Stephen Carpenter newer than 1999. (Again, I've seen his rig 100 times, so no need to link me to a bunch of threads about his gear. It's all about the cartoons.)

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I liked these, but, there's a point where too much picture detail takes away from the overall concept of it, was just looking at the new ones and they "kinda" look like real pics, meh.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
I liked these, but, there's a point where too much picture detail takes away from the overall concept of it, was just looking at the new ones and they "kinda" look like real pics, meh.

Agreed. I can't stand things like Uber Pro Audio. It's just a bunch of stock photos of the gear a player uses, and 90% of the rig is wrong.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
90% of the rig is wrong.

From what I've saw the site admin say, he gets some of his info from wikipedia entries. :ugh:

And from personal experience, I tried to post something in one of the articles explaining what one of the listed guitarists CURRENTLY used, and he put it as the last listed guitar. And a guitar he doesn't even use anymore is still listed as if it was his current guitar. Its a small gripe, but its very misleading. :noway:

Kay, rant over. I just dislike that place. Very misleading articles.
Thats why I like guitargeek. They get their information straight from the artists and techs. :yesway:

')