Guitarist trying to program drums

• Thread starter JoeChugs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
Hey drummers/drum programmers. I'm a guitarist that wants to record and add drums to my demos, but I don't even know the basics when it comes to drumming. (nor am I good with time)

My question is, does anyone have a decent online/written resource for learning drums, specifically how to construct a rhythm.

Thanks in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gamber

Reaction score
hey there when i first started doing this stuff (i assume you have drum software) i was putting the snare on beats 2 and 4. then the cymbals were just eight notes and my kick drum would follow what my guitar was doing. And every couple bars or so when id change into a new riff or something like that id do a quick little fill

BillNephew

Reaction score
I'd say the best thing you can do is go on ultimate guitar and open up some guitar pro tabs to see how the drums are programmed as a reference for timing. Drum programming is something that comes with practice. Best of luck to you.

Chowman

Reaction score
I encountered similar problems when I first started programming my own drums, and I would say that practice is the key - start out simple, then as you become more comfortable you can begin to make the drum tracks more interesting with fills and decoration with the cymbals etc.

aturaya

Reaction score
If it isn't a blast beat, just make the kick do the same things as the guitar and put the snare on either 3, 2+4, or every beat depending on the tempo.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I just listened to the bands I like and payed close attention to their drumming, then while programming it, I would envision what a beat would go like (I have NO drumming experience at all either)

Check out some Guitar Pro tabs of songs and dissect the drumming too.

Tyler

Reaction score
you just gotta tear songs down in your head, focus on the patterns and you'll start to pick up things pretty quickly. Try tuning your ears to the drums and pushing the rest out

Mikeyprs

Reaction score
Some great stuff here, I would like to add that learning how to read and write drum tabs helped me out given my limited drum experience, and you can only get better through practice and focusing on how you want the drums to support the riff! =)

SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Reaction score
I used to have a drum machine/looper thing from the late 80s - early 90s. It was simple and straightforward. It was the easiest way to create drum beats. Now I have to use a drum machine app on an iPad.

Gemmeadia

Reaction score
I pretty much just dove into it and taught myself over time to think like a drummer. Listen closely to the drums in music and you'll eventually learn what they do and just start with basic riffs and drum beats and progress with more technical fills and cymbal hits. Eventually you will be able to put your idea into a legit recording without anyone's help! Its definitely going to take time, so dont be surprised if you dont get it at first.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
This question comes up a couple of times a week. There has been plenty written about it here.

Try the search function. :wavey:

Latest posts

')