Guitarist you most want to see pick up a 7

• Thread starter omentremor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
I wanted to say Opeth, but I now say no. I like Mikael's minimalism.

That said;

Daath
Gorod
Amon Amarth
Swallow the Sun

I would also like to say Opeth but I will probably regret it because it will probably scare me to death :D

Opeth must be the heaviest band I've heard in standard tuning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PhillCantu93

Some guy, I suppose.
Reaction score
Michael Romeo, Yngwie Malmsteen, James Malone, Ryan Knight, Michael Keene, and basically every guitarist I like that doesn't play extended range...

CapenCyber

Reaction score
Can you even IMAGINE what those bastards could do with a seven string? Would be amazing.

Although all of my research indicates otherwise, "Guilty of Dispersal" and "Guilded Cage" SOUND like 7s, but they probably just tuned down.

They probably were 7s, I spoke to the guitarist at MDF this year and asked him about it, he said they tour with the 6s usually because of space issues but they do use 7s too.

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
I would also like to say Opeth but I will probably regret it because it will probably scare me to death :D

Opeth must be the heaviest band I've heard in standard tuning.

I agree. I think it would add a whole new dimension to their scariness.

I'd like to see:
Paramore
BTBAM
Born of Osiris
Flyleaf
*Gojira*
Muse
Rage Against The Machine
System of a Down
Tool

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
I hear Marlon from Abhorrent want to start playing 7s. Should be interesting.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Jack white. However I would be really interested in WHAT 7 string he'd pick up. There aren't many old goofy fiberglass 7 strings lying around.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Andy Mckee
Paul Waggoner
AJ Minette

Tides Of Man/Dance Gavin Dance/Closure In Moscow/Circa Survive (and whatever bands of that style) would be interesting with high A 7's.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I want to see the BTBAM guys with 7's, that would be fucking sweet

YES

Paul Masvidal from Cynic. Although Cynic's sound has been getting progressively less heavy since their reunion, I think he'd come up with some interesting sounds.

Also, Daniel Mongrain from Martyr. His intricate, heavily thought-out riffing style with the heft of an extended range guitar would sound immense.

Agreed that would be pretty sick

THIS!

THESE!

The Red Chord
Static-X
Lamb of God
Within The Ruins
Staind (may not be metal by any means, but it would be nice to see Mike play a 7 since hes got so many DOWN-tuned 6s)

It baffles me that the dudes from Within The Ruins dont use 7s considering they tune down to Drop Ab on 6s.

Can you even IMAGINE what those bastards could do with a seven string? Would be amazing.

Although all of my research indicates otherwise, "Guilty of Dispersal" and "Guilded Cage" SOUND like 7s, but they probably just tuned down.

Doesnt the lead guitarist have a 29 fret Washburn?

Marc Okubo from Veil Of Maya!

He would come up with some ridiculous chord shapes if he used 7s. Same with Micheal Keene. It would be awesome :D

Andy Mckee
Paul Waggoner
AJ Minette

Tides Of Man/Dance Gavin Dance/Closure In Moscow/Circa Survive (and whatever bands of that style) would be interesting with high A 7's.

AJ with a 7 would be absolutely AMAZING. Him, along with Dean and Tapley would do ungodly things with 7s

abstract

Reaction score
Now now, the thread title said guitarist, not hack :lol:

I think he'd need to build a 7 out of an ironing board. Anything else would be too easy, and therefore take no skill.

Marco Sfogli, Thomas Erak and Alex Pareja (if the bands I knew them from, TFOT and TN12LLY respectively, were still around), David Gilmour, Joel Parent (Ninjaspy), Skwisgaar and Toki.

epsylon

Reaction score
I'd say Mikael Åkerfeldt without hesitation. This guy is incredibly creative. He's a great musician, probably not the best technically, but he's a genius in terms of sonority, harmonisation, arrangements, and doing unpredictable changes of mood in a song.
But he's only played (AFAIK) on 6 strings and in standard tuning so far, so a 7 could definitely be a huge - and hopefully good - surprise.

Otherwise, I'd say Obsidian C from Keep of Kalessin (one of the best and imho underrated metal guitarists), I think it could definitely be used with success considering how much this band (KoK) rocks.

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
Jack white. However I would be really interested in WHAT 7 string he'd pick up. There aren't many old goofy fiberglass 7 strings lying around.

Closest choice would probably have to be something like this:

DanoModSeven.JPG

Mikael Akerfeldt...shoot, I can't even think of what he'd do on a seven. It'd probably be cool.

Can't think of many, really.

But he's only played (AFAIK) on 6 strings and in standard tuning so far, so a 7 could definitely be a huge - and hopefully good - surprise.

Nah, they've used drop-D pretty extensively throughout their career, and in recent years mike's been experimenting a little with open tunings as well. Ghost reveries in particular.

epsylon

Reaction score
Nah, they've used drop-D pretty extensively throughout their career, and in recent years mike's been experimenting a little with open tunings as well. Ghost reveries in particular.

Well, my bad then :)
What I meant was that generally they didn't use anything really low tuning (like B or A), and that 7 strings would definitely increase the range compared to what they usually do.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks 7's wouldn't work so great for Protest? I think their unique sound/style wouldn't be affected by them..

Latest posts

')