Guitarists that inspire you

• Thread starter hubbell1202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Luuk

Reaction score
Thordendal + Hagstrom (don't like Holdsworth that much :ugh:), the guitarists of Amenra, Devin Townsend, John Frusciante, Brend Hinds + Bill Kelliher, Dimebag and a lot more I forget right now..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sakito and Hitsugi of Nightmare, and Aoi and Uruha of The Gazette are currently influencing me and the direction I want to take my music. I've kind of stopped chasing speed and now I'm working on songwritting.

Not much for Nightmare, but Aoi and Uruha are a great example of a 2-guitar band really using those 2 separate guitars to enhance the songs in ways that 1 guitarist couldn't. Very much like Sugizo and Inoran of Luna Sea, who are obviously the big idols of Aoi and Uruha.

When I started playing with a second guitarist, GazettE and Luna Sea were my main inspirations when arranging the songs for 2.

bigswifty

Reaction score
Tosin
Bulb
Petrucci
Loomis
Micheal Romeo
Akerfeldt
Andy Mckee... (for the acoustic),
Holdsworth
and Dan and Pin!

Adamame

Reaction score
you actually think I don't know who Holdsworth is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

<<<Not a mind reader. I meet guitarist all the time that don't even know who Alex Lifeson is. If Holdsworth is mentioned it's " is that the dude in the old Carvin catalogs?".:fawk: Here's some Hagstrom action from the House Of Blues. Thordendal was hiding in the shadows.
l_4d0475570e65732b404b1992409c78bb.jpg

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
<<<Not a mind reader. I meet guitarist all the time that don't even know who Alex Lifeson is. If Holdsworth is mentioned it's " is that the dude in the old Carvin catalogs?".:fawk:

any guitarist worth his salt knows who Holdsworth is, and any Meshuggah fan worth his salt will know how much of an influence he is on Thordendal.

you're preaching to the choir here, so don't give me any lip :fawk:

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Vai
Petrucci
Devin
Cynic guys
Shuldner
Michael Keene
Bulb
Between The Buried and Me
Unearth

off the top of my head :yesway:

bigswifty

Reaction score
I've noticed a bunch of people stating Adam Jones....and I have to 2nd him as well....

Now that I think about it, I'd have to agree.
Not entirely because of his playing, but because of the feel and the fact that he merges visual art with music.
I also love some of the lyrics off the Lateralus album.

hubbell1202

Rufus Alexander
Reaction score
I also dig on some Dave Matthews....he's a great songwriter

hmm....

I really enjoy the guitar work on the last two All Shall Perish albums. Chris Storey....and...uh...

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I can name names forever here.

However, there's plenty of guitarists that inspire me to do my best. Though the standouts are definitely those who think outside the box, can write killer songs and arrangements, and most importantly aren't afraid of being themselves and play with the purest conviction, from all styles of music.

Though for a while it's You (Janne Da Arc) who's inspired me the most.

1200234154.jpeg

The guy on the right... and I envy and happy for him meeting the guy on the left. :bowdown:

Also, those who I've jammed with definitely do inspire me.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Mikael Akerfeldt and Muhammed Suicmez will forever be my two biggest influences, as well as Fredrik Thordendal.

Recently, I've been loving Tosin Abasi and Jeff Loomis a lot. Specifically the "Zero Order Phase" Jeff Loomis.

Honestly, if I may, I'm also heavily influenced by the 90's era of New York hip-hop. Mobb Deep, Big L, Jay-Z, Kool-G-Rap, Gangstarr. That ol' real shit, ya know?

')