Guitarists that inspire you

• Thread starter hubbell1202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here lately,

Brad Paisley
Justin Lowe/Trent Hafdahl- After the Burial
Buz McGrath- Unearth
Chris Storey- (ex)All Shall Perish
Luke Hoskin- Protest the Hero

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FretWizard88

Reaction score
My last jolt of inspiration came after watching some videos of Johan Randén playing. He's a student of Mattias IA Eklundh who became known as a kind of wunderkind after playing "The Black Page" (ridiculous zappa tune) live at a swedish rock festival at the age of 12 or 13. Now he's 21 I think and an absolute monster player.
example:

I'm so envious of people like him, I've been playing for almost 8 years and am nowhere near as good as I should be. I practice all the time and I just seem to get nowhere.:scratch:

John Petrucci
Tosin Abasi
Mikael Åkerfeldt

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I could probably name about 400 guitarists really.
Everything from pop rock, post hardcore, prog tech death, post metal and avant garde guitarists have inspired.

To keep it short though, the guys that have the biggest impact on me:
Marty Friedman
Chris Poland
Joe Satriani
Toby Driver (motW, Kayo Dot)
Dimebag Darrel
Dave Mustaine
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (At the Drive In, The Mars Volta)
Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
Aaron Turner (Isis)
Buckethead
Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave)
Jim Martin (his work with Faith No More)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Trevor de Brauw and Laurent Schroeder-Lebec (Pelican)

N-j

B.T.K
Reaction score
i take a lot of inspiration from obvious guitarists like Dino Cazeres and dimebag. but lately i have been really enspired by Fredrik Thordendal and Mircea Gabriel Eftemie.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can name names forever here.

However, there's plenty of guitarists that inspire me to do my best. Though the standouts are definitely those who think outside the box, can write killer songs and arrangements, and most importantly aren't afraid of being themselves and play with the purest conviction, from all styles of music.

Though for a while it's You (Janne Da Arc) who's inspired me the most.

1200234154.jpeg

The guy on the right... and I envy and happy for him meeting the guy on the left. :bowdown:

Also, those who I've jammed with definitely do inspire me.

:yesway:

I'm not a huge fan of You's general soloing style (although he has some high-points like Möbius, Blackjack etc), I think he's an awesome rhythm guitarist. Working out his rhythm arrangements are sometimes even more challenging than learning his leads, not to mention it all fits so perfectly with the vocal lines and the bass. Then again, all the members of Janne work this way.

xenophist

Reaction score
BULB inspires me in terms of motivation more than musically. He works so hard on his music and I know that if I worked half as hard I could achieve so much more. I am sure this applies for any professional musician though. I just see it from BULB since he posts his songs on a song by song basis rather than a band who releases a full album all at once.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
I'd have to say Ron Jarzombek, Jason Becker, Johnny Cash, Paul Masvidal, Paul Waggoner, Jeff Loomis, Paul Gilbert, Jimmy Page and Joe Satriani.

')