Guitarists whose vocal talents go unsung...

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What guys can we think of who get celebrated primarily for their guitar playing when their singing is actually more than respectable?

First ones who spring to mind for me...

Eric Johnson: He doesn't have a huge range, but he gets the most out of what he has. Plus, he's an extremely poigniant lyricist, which is something that tends to get ignored when people talk about his music.

Steve Vai: Mostly the same comments. A lot of people hate his voice, but he's developed a lot over the years. Lyrically, Real Illusions was stunning...

Richie Kotzen: OK, not quite true, as lots of people know him primarily for his vocal stuff, but a lot of guitarists still just think of him as a shredder. Prone to the occasional dumb lyric, but on the other hand, he has written some lovely stuff...

EDIT: I just realised what I've done... The awful pun in the title was totally unintentional...honest! :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I always considered Eric Johnson a great singer (not just because I like him as a guitarist), his range is great, I especially love his singing on Venus Isle and Alien Love Child's Live and Beyond. :agreed:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kurt Cobain. All ya'll focus on what a shitty guitarist he was, and totally miss his awesome voice. :agreed:

On a more serious note, this thread would be incomplete without a mention of the incomparable Leo Kottke.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Muhammed from Necrophagist, the guys from Nile, and most of all, Adam D from Killswitch Engage - the sheer range and versatility that man has is astounding...
A lot of people like Alexi Laiho, but I can't stand his voice. I suppose its cool that he can sing while playing some of the technical stuff they do, but his actual style just annoys me. :noway:
Jens Kidman from Meshuggah - Psykisk Testbild-era should probably get a mention too - some of that stuff was mega technical and to sing over it, well...

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
Jens Kidman is unreal. That 10 minute video of random Meshuggah stuff had this partwhere he is just straight up screaming into the mic. It's a miracle he hasn't lost his voice yet.

I'll add John Mayer. His guitar playing has been getting a ton of attention lately, but IMO his voice has improved vastly.

thor von clemson

Reaction score
One of the guys from Soilwork. I think it was their guitarist who recently left but I saw them live once and I was really impressed with his singing and background vocals while he played guitar.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
KAI

SODDING

HANSEN

:shred:

sod everyone else, he might as well sing for everyone else, he's halfway there!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
+1 on Kai Hansen, hes really good.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Michael Sweet from Stryper...oh wait...I guess he's known for his crazy singing, oops, lol, I was thinkin the other way around.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
wow...you need to hunt down "walls of jericho" by helloween, he wins on that...

actually, just wins in general

')