Guitarmory Pickups - General Consensus and changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I worked for Guitarmory for 5 years up until recently. What's funny is that none of the absolute fuckery that is going on is Rob Chapman's fault, it's all on Michael (who also still owes me money too). Me and the other customer service guy quit after deciding we had enough of Michael's broken promises and spotty/nonexistent pay for the work we put in. It went on for way too long.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
I worked for Guitarmory for 5 years up until recently. What's funny is that none of the absolute fuckery that is going on is Rob Chapman's fault, it's all on Michael (who also still owes me money too). Me and the other customer service guy quit after deciding we had enough of Michael's broken promises and spotty/nonexistent pay for the work we put in. It went on for way too long.
Frankly think it's well past time for this stuff to come out. He's screwed so many people along the way, gotten people to work for him for free, and basically had me subsidizing his business to keep things rolling because my concern for the customer was too great, while he was knowingly overloading me with orders. I was paying two part time employees just to handle his orders too, and I never missed a payment to them while Michael was behind by 5 figures at times. The fact he built a guitar brand by not paying me chaps my ass even more. I have it on good authority his current builder cut him off due to non-payment too, which is why he's going to the 4th pickup builder in his tenure as owner. It's always the same crap with this guy, but people will constantly talk about how honest and stand up he is in comments sections.

Sorry for the rant but I'm done with being nice.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Another vote for Elysian. Great pickups and Adam is an awesome guy to deal with
Add another - if you get some exotic set the build might take a month, but it'll turn out great and you'll almost certainly love the set (especially if you consult with Adam on what you're looking for).

The Monster With .

Death row; water buffalo
Reaction score
Dang, sucks to read how bad things were/are behind the scenes at Guitarmory. I feel bad recommending them in the past.

Xiphos804

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dang, didn't realize how bad the situation was. I've ordered a few pickups but was never happy with them.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I guess thats why Devin Shidaker quietly dropped them recently lol.

Anyways y'all should totally still get pickups from Elysian instead. Adam's a fucking saint.

...Would be cool if a mod did a title change and added "Order Elysian Instead" :lol: :lol:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I got this email last night. Had no idea I was even a part of a newsletter, but I unsubscribed immediately. I find it funny how it says "Recently, we supported Cerberus Guitars" as if it's some random company, when reality is, it's just Michael's own guitar company he started...

I never liked the Guitarmory pickups I tried, but I absolutely loved the Elysian's I've owned. Another +1 for Adam.

guitarmory.JPG

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess thats why Devin Shidaker quietly dropped them recently lol.

Anyways y'all should totally still get pickups from Elysian instead. Adam's a fucking saint.

...Would be cool if a mod did a title change and added "Order Elysian Instead" :lol: :lol:
Didn't just quietly drop from them either. Dude took the Cauterizer with him and just has Balaguer wind it now in house. :lol: :lol:

USA Devin Shidaker Cauterizer

Also, yeah, consider me another +1 for Elysian

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are people calling michael out on social media? This stuff needs to get out there, so future customers don’t get screwed over.
Not from what I've seen. My online footprint is generally pretty limited though so take that with a grain of salt. Only really see him whenever a new batch of his guitars is ready to be sold or whenever somebody in Modern Metal Facebook Group #46 needs a new set of pickups.

Hell, SSO is the only place where I've really heard about issues with Guitarmory, past and present.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He's a moderator in a large 7-8 string group on FB, and anything that's come up there ultimately gets deleted, including a reference to him paying me.

Are people calling michael out on social media? This stuff needs to get out there, so future customers don’t get screwed over.

Another reason I hate FB groups. Shitty business practices are so so easy to cover up and censor.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
I actually ordered a pair of Red Stone 8s with these Padauk covers in probably April - May 2020. I was getting ready to move in a few months, and was fortunate to get ahold of the owner pretty quickly into the process of having these made. There were a few weeks where I didn't receive any updates. But I got them shipped to me by probably mid-June. Funny story is, every time I get an 8-string - I haven't been in love with it enough to commit to the labor. So I still haven't even tried these.

Definitely sucks to hear what's happened to everyone else. I'll count myself fortunate.
RedStone8s.jpg

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He's a moderator in a large 7-8 string group on FB, and anything that's come up there ultimately gets deleted, including a reference to him paying me.
He's in the Modern Guitarist group too, I think. 8k people. Not a moderator there though. Might be a good place to bring it up?

Xiphos804

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually ordered a pair of Red Stone 8s with these Padauk covers in probably April - May 2020. I was getting ready to move in a few months, and was fortunate to get ahold of the owner pretty quickly into the process of having these made. There were a few weeks where I didn't receive any updates. But I got them shipped to me by probably mid-June. Funny story is, every time I get an 8-string - I haven't been in love with it enough to commit to the labor. So I still haven't even tried these.

Definitely sucks to hear what's happened to everyone else. I'll count myself fortunate.
View attachment 127002
Nice Captor X, they're incredible.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’m thinking about posting this in the Modern Guitarist FB group. @ElysianGuitars do you mind if I do? I don’t want to drag you into something you don’t want to, but I’m thinking maybe this will shame him into giving you what you’ve earned.

“Mods, delete if inappropriate, but I figured someone needs to post about Guitarmory. While I don’t personally have anything on order with them, I HAVE been burned a lot by small guitar companies, so I always feel if there’s a business that has entered scammer territory, we need to look out for each other. Guitarmory is ghosting a number of people who have paid for pickups and not received them. And Adam from Elysian is apparently owed thousands for winding for them, and has not been paid. Anyway, buyer beware. And if Michael wants to chime in and clear it up with the individuals, even better.”

')