Guitars Built by Members of SS.org [pic heavy]

Purelojik

Reaction score
Took a look at your site/Instagram, that Redwood topped single cut is hot.
Thanks bud sadly I’ve since cannibalized that build. But I did make a buncha good recordings with that. It’s one of those builds that when I would look back at it I’ve made too many design mistakes that it eventually caused a visceral reaction lol

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
HEY ALL!
So I haven't been back here in over a year and I thought I'd post up some stuff I've been building over the past year or two. Just got into my first choice fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Geriatric Medicine after completing residency and man has time flown by.

I've moved from Vegas to Reno and set up shop at a maker space here called Bridgewire. Pretty cool little place. I've been wanting to post more stuff here but it became so easy to just post on IG (akm_guitarworks) and the blog I've had since I started building (Akm.xyz). Anyways Enough rambling let's get to the good stuff.
So Here we go!

Koa Mini Guitar Prototype
Specs:
Scale Length - 15in
Wild Figured Koa Top
African Mahogany Body
Indian Rosewood Fretboard and Headcap
Roasted Birdseye Maple Neck
BWB binding
Jescar frets, Hipshot hardware with string saver saddles, Bourne’s pots
DiMarzio Vintage MiniBuckers
Daddario strings
Finished with Odie’s Oil and Waxes

One Piece Claro Walnut MultiScale 26-25
Body: Claro Crotch Figure Walnut on One Piece African Mahogany

Neck:Roasted Flamed Maple on Ovangkol and Pau Ferro

Hardware: Hipshot

Pickup: Dimarzio Vintage Mini-humbucker

Finish: Odies Oil, Wood Butter and Wax

My Personal Buckeye Burl 24.8in Scale Guitar
Body : Black Limba
Top : Buckeye Burl
Neck : Pau Ferro
FB : African Blackwood
Ivoroid Binding, Jescar Frets, Hipshot Hardware
Daddario Strings
Mcnelly Pickups “Saint Nick” Set w/Custom Treble Bleed mod
Seymour Duncan Lil’ Screamin Demon w/coil tap (independent circuit – can be blended in) - Replaced with McNelly Dual Blade Pickup
Finish : Odies Oil and Wax Products

Black Limba Mini Guitar 18in Scale Length
Specs:
Scale Length: 18in
Neck : Quartersawn Pau Ferro | Richlite FB |Koa inlay
5 Layer Pickguard
Pickups: GFS Alnico V Gold Foil - Surprisingly good for the price
Frets: Jescar Jumbo
Strings: Daddario 12-60 Tuned E standard
Finish: Odie’s Dark Oil | Butter | Wax
Buckeye Burl Knob by Clay Carrillo of Archipelago Glass

All pictures taken by myself on a Fuji XT10 | 56mm f1.2 | 35mm f2
But do the mini guitars djant!???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
They do, but in moderation. Everyone wants to know if they can Djoint but no one asks whether the SHOULD Djant. Please remember to always Djoirt Responsibly
I imagine these are better suited for leads, aren't they? The low strings are still relatively high pitch?

Purelojik

Reaction score
I imagine these are better suited for leads, aren't they? The low strings are still relatively high pitch?
My koa mini guitar is higher pitched, kinda feels like constantly soloing on the high strings with distortion. With cleans it actually fits my low voice better for singing strangely enough. The most recent mini with the oickguard is actually in standard tuning with 12-60 strings on there and sounds really deep for how diminutive it really is with that 18 in scale

Pimiboj

Reaction score
Hey guys first post here, Just finished my first guitar ever. let me know what you think!

It's a neck through strat with a Limba body, Wenge/Padauk 5pc Neck, Ziricote top and a Birdseye Maple fretboard.
Hardware: Hipshot bridge, Hipshot Griplock Open tuners and Fishman fluence Modern pickups

VkRvkxzl.jpg

sEtNCmul.jpg

MikeNeal

Reaction score
Hey guys first post here, Just finished my first guitar ever. let me know what you think!

It's a neck through strat with a Limba body, Wenge/Padauk 5pc Neck, Ziricote top and a Birdseye Maple fretboard.
Hardware: Hipshot bridge, Hipshot Griplock Open tuners and Fishman fluence Modern pickups

VkRvkxzl.jpg

sEtNCmul.jpg

If that's your first ever, then you really need to stick with it!

Incredible work

Tatu Aleksi

Reaction score
Here's my guitar build from 5 years ago. Still my go-to guitar. I ordered the neck from a local luthier with the measurements I wanted. I actually wanted to get a spruce body guitar at that time since my first guitar had that and it has really good tone to it. And since spruce is rarely used in guitar bodies, I decided to build one myself.

Finnish spruce body (natural color wax), maple neck and pau ferro fretboard.

As you can see, it already has some "mojo", the wax isn't really a hard finish, so a lot of pick hits can be seen in the guitar. However, I've tested some guitars with and without lacquer and I chose to go without. Maybe I'm just crazy, because quite much the only scenarios where you can hear the difference are playing without amp and with a really good clean/crunch amp setting, and there it's already a quite subtle difference. But I don't really care so much for the looks, it's more of a tool for me, and it's really responsive, inspiring and dynamic guitar to play. Spruce as a tonewood is really balanced and has great attack to it.

It has BKP Juggernaut pickups, with a volume knob and 3 way toggle switches for both pickups (wired as humbucker/off/coil split). I've actually ended up using mostly the split coil positions. By the way, I love the combination of Neck humbucker + split bridge pickup on cleans.

Anyway, pretty versatile guitar and it has quite low action. Nice to play, and my absolute favorite guitar. The neck is pretty fat profile compared to most shred and djent machines, which is really good for me :) I think it's 21 mm at 1st fret. Radius is 16".

Also, I've only adjusted the neck like once in the last two years, that's how stable it is.

20190209_122703.jpg 20190209_123214.jpg 20190209_123256.jpg 20190209_123358.jpg

Last edited:

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Figured I'd post the pictures here too. My second build.

Specs:
25-26.5" Scale length
Neck-Through Body
Neck: 5 piece Walnut/Maple
Body: Black Limba with Quilt and Burl maple top
Fretboard: Cocobolo
Bridge: Hipshot Singles
Tuners: Hipshot Locking
Pickups: Homebrew
Finish: Tru-Oil back and neck, 2k on the top and headstock

IMG_8994.jpg IMG_8995.jpg IMG_8996.jpg IMG_8997.jpg IMG_8998.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
HEY ALL!
So I haven't been back here in over a year and I thought I'd post up some stuff I've been building over the past year or two. Just got into my first choice fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Geriatric Medicine after completing residency and man has time flown by.

I've moved from Vegas to Reno and set up shop at a maker space here called Bridgewire. Pretty cool little place. I've been wanting to post more stuff here but it became so easy to just post on IG (akm_guitarworks) and the blog I've had since I started building (Akm.xyz). Anyways Enough rambling let's get to the good stuff.
So Here we go!
lrm_export_20170629_021008.jpg

lrm_export_20170629_021447.jpg

Koa Mini Guitar Prototype
Specs:
Scale Length - 15in
Wild Figured Koa Top
African Mahogany Body
Indian Rosewood Fretboard and Headcap
Roasted Birdseye Maple Neck
BWB binding
Jescar frets, Hipshot hardware with string saver saddles, Bourne’s pots
DiMarzio Vintage MiniBuckers
Daddario strings
Finished with Odie’s Oil and Waxes

img_2313-1.jpg

One Piece Claro Walnut MultiScale 26-25
Body: Claro Crotch Figure Walnut on One Piece African Mahogany

Neck:Roasted Flamed Maple on Ovangkol and Pau Ferro

Pickup: Dimarzio Vintage Mini-humbucker

Finish: Odies Oil, Wood Butter and Wax

img_2526.jpg

My Personal Buckeye Burl 24.8in Scale Guitar
Top : Buckeye Burl
Neck : Pau Ferro
FB : African Blackwood
Ivoroid Binding, Jescar Frets, Hipshot Hardware
Daddario Strings
Mcnelly Pickups “Saint Nick” Set w/Custom Treble Bleed mod
Seymour Duncan Lil’ Screamin Demon w/coil tap (independent circuit – can be blended in) - Replaced with McNelly Dual Blade Pickup
Finish : Odies Oil and Wax Products

img_6359.jpg

img_6361.jpg

img_6363.jpg

Black Limba Mini Guitar 18in Scale Length
Specs:
Scale Length: 18in
Neck : Quartersawn Pau Ferro | Richlite FB |Koa inlay
5 Layer Pickguard
Pickups: GFS Alnico V Gold Foil - Surprisingly good for the price
Frets: Jescar Jumbo
Strings: Daddario 12-60 Tuned E standard
Finish: Odie’s Dark Oil | Butter | Wax
Buckeye Burl Knob by Clay Carrillo of Archipelago Glass

All pictures taken by myself on a Fuji XT10 | 56mm f1.2 | 35mm f2

These are the absolute coolest! You really have an eye for design and how to incorporate the wood's figure into it!

warped

Reaction score

Specs:
25-26.5" Scale length
Neck-Through Body

View attachment 68497 View attachment 68498 View attachment 68499 View attachment 68500 View attachment 68501

Wow - great finish! It has a real 3D/Hologrphic/Oil Slick sort of appearance to it - amazing job

Adieu

Reaction score

Specs:
25-26.5" Scale length
Neck-Through Body

View attachment 68497 View attachment 68498 View attachment 68499 View attachment 68500 View attachment 68501

How is that all-maple(?)-looking headstock joined onto that multipiece neck?

Or is that a rear headstock veneer?

JohnnyWanders

Reaction score
Damn...I've seem some.of the sweetest and wierdest axes on this thread...good job guys.

Just throw some seymour.duncans or hate knuckles.in em and call it a day...hahaha

electriceye

Reaction score
Well, I completed my first build in nearly two years. Not sure where the time goes, but a little miffed at myself it’s taking me so long to build. Part of my problem is that I have started about 7 builds, so I tend to be a bit discombobulated/disorganized (depression doesn’t help either). Anyway, I’m pretty damn happy with this one. I was going for a nice, classy, raw, superstrat. No finish, other than Tung oil everywhere and clear coat satin on the face of the headstock to protect the logo. African mahogany with Peruvian walnut strip. Highly-figured BE maple neck and board, with carbon rods, SD Distortion Mayhem set pups. I made thee neck a little thicker than I’m used to. I was going to for something similar to my EBMM AXIS. I actually like it. Playing through my Line 6 Pod UX, it CRANKS. Great tone and sustain. I ran into a few issues, that can’t necessarily be fixed, but this is only my third build. Main problem is I had to move the bridge back 1/4”, so re-stringing this thing is a giant pain in the ass, due to the string holes not lining up well anymore. Oh well.

Next up is another superstrat and korina V!

8C28E323-3752-4118-BB50-AA80BA78EE8A.jpeg 6BE342F9-0655-40C1-89A6-7219C73ADD8D.jpeg 16FABE8F-A60F-47E4-8567-49286255366E.jpeg BB76D41D-7AE5-4002-A5EC-FC97BEFEA850.jpeg