Guitars + Plane travel = ?

• Thread starter Septor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Septor

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Really quick question here. Do any of you have any experiences of putting guitars in the hold of the plane? When my Agile comes to the UK it will have to go in the hold as it comes with the case, plus they wouldn't let me take it on with a gig bag :/ ( Maybe they thought I would garrote the pilot with my B string )

I have hared terrible things about necks being broken and finishes being cracked so a little worried here...

Also, when I go on the plane, do I loosen all the strings or keep them in tune?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
It shouldn't have to go in the hold. A lot of airlines have a policy of putting instruments in the large luggage departments up front. I don't know why. The check in guy who told me said its because, 'everyone needs music'. Stick to your guns and don't let them put in the hold.

Edit: That was a Rg2228 case as well. Fucking massive.

Septor

Reaction score
Wait sorry... so I when we check in we should ask to bring the case on board? Sorry to be a bit disparaging but they wouldn't even let me bring my classical guitar on board, let alone a massive case :S

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I think this is going to be entirely dependent on the particular airline. I know of one person who actually purchases a seat for his cello and I've seen people with guitars onboard before.

Septor

Reaction score
Hmmm I guess it's worth asking, but it's a transatlantic flight. The seat would cost as much as the guitar!

But anyone know about putting their own guitars in the hold?

Necromaster

New Guy
Reaction score
You should never let them put a guitar down below. anything can happen to it. even if they don't bang it around, in a lot of planes don't regulate the air in the cargo area and it freezes. some airlines do regulate the cargo area so that people can fly their pets around and they wont freeze to death or suffocate. Try to find out which is yours and if you want to risk it. My hardcase is 2 inches longer than any american flight companies overhead compartment so down below is the only option for me, and I have heard those horror stories about smashed necks and even wood warping from cold and wet compartments. My advice (and what works best for me) would be to see if you can mail your guitar insured to wherever you are going. It'll be expensive, but cheaper than another seat, and, if anything does happen, it will be insured.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
Wait sorry... so I when we check in we should ask to bring the case on board? Sorry to be a bit disparaging but they wouldn't even let me bring my classical guitar on board, let alone a massive case :S

Yes. Take it on as hand luggage and when you get on ask them to stow it. They have specific spaces to put stuff like that in along with jackets/ suits for the 1st class passengers. Phone in first and if they so no, take it in anyway. If you are tactful and friendly they will let you do this. I always go on the assumption that the minute you are a bit of an asshole with the check in people they will do everything to stop you getting what you want.

Septor

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies guys :) So this is the plan, I call up first to see if the hold is even habitable for my guitar. When we check in we will ask, very nicely, if we could take it on board as it is very expensive and all that. If not, it's fingers crossed, fragile stickers on, and the guitar goes into the hold :S

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
My Jackson RR24 once travelled from Helsinki (Finland) to Lyon (France) and it arrived 2 days late. The whole case was covered with ice from being in the plane hold for a loooong time. I was really pissed off when i got it, but fortunately the guitar was alright. I just needed to adjust the neck and it was as good as ever.

(Don't have that guitar anymore, sold it to get my first 7-string about one year ago. It was sad to part it, but it was the only way to go if i wanted to get a 7.)

samu

Reaction score
I carried a Strat with a soft case on a flight from Singapore to Helsinki a couple of years ago. I'm gonna fly to London in a few days time, but this time I'm bringing a hard case so I'm hoping it'll be alright this time as well.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw from my former guitar teacher's Facebook photos that he recently went to America and took his Vigier with him in his hand-luggage; he posted a picture of the body inside his carry-on suitcase, no idea what he did with the neck! XD

There are plenty of guides online for transporting guitars in planes, like how to pack the hardcase and what to tweak on the guitar for safety i.e. slackening strings, loosening neck bolts etc. That should always be a last resort though, as mentioned above you should make every possible effort to keep your guitar in the cabin and out of the hold.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It all depends on your particular airline. Call them up and check. And even if they say no, chances are that if you show up with your guitar to the plane, they won't make you go all the way back. They always have a cabinet on cabin where they store umbrellas, purses, vests, etc. That's where I usually put it. That, or I try to get inside the plane as fast as possible to find some room on the overhead compartments. That's how I've done it every single time, except once when I did call, they said no, and I decided not to bring it, since it was a short trip and I didn't really need it anyway.

I've taken my Ibanez with me countless times on several different airlines, on all kinds of flights; from transatlantic, to local flights, and nothing's ever happened to it.

Also, when I moved from Spain back to Bahrain, I moved 3 guitars with me at one time. My Carvin came with me as hand luggage, inside a very well-padded Washburn gigbag I have. I put my Washburn inside the Carvin's case, which I put inside the original Carvin box, stuffed with clothing around the case and other soft wrapping material. That went as normal luggage, and came perfectly in one piece, just the box was a little beat up. I took the risk of putting my cheapest guitar (Ibanez) inside a gigbag and putting it with the luggage. I added wrapping to that thing to no end; around the guitar, and then around the gig-bag. Thankfully, it arrived in one piece as well.

Another thing you can do is disassembling your guitar (neck and body separately) and putting them into separate suitcases, surrounded by clothing, or soft objects. I've never tried this myself, but I've heard of people doing it and working perfectly.

Also, it's not necessary to loosen the strings. I've never done it, and have never had a problem with my guitars' necks warping, or things going out of place during a flight. Actually, now that I think of it, they always held their tuning fairly well. Even my Gio Ibanez, which is the one that I take with me everywhere.

Hope this somewhat helps!

EDIT: Just for safety, make sure to stuff some clothing around the neck of your guitar, to prevent it from absorbing too much energy (and possibly breaking) from an impact. Specially around the headstock joint area, and the area around where the neck meets the body, which are very vulnerable parts.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
^ This. DO NOT ask about putting stuff in the hold. It will end up there. Say you want to take it on as hand luggage.

TheSilentWater

is a nerd.
Reaction score
When I went from the UK to Sydney via Hong Kong, I took the neck off my strat and put it in my suitcase to take on with me. Not really viable for you I assume, but for anyone that's trying to ensure that their instrument goes with them safely (provided that it's a bolt-on), it's another option if you have the room.

broj15

Reaction score
when my Father was bringing my first guitar home that he bought while he was on a business trip he just took off the strings and took the neck off and put it in his carry-on. but since your agile is probably neck though idk what to tell you :p

Septor

Reaction score
Yeah you're bro, unfortunately in this case, it is a neck-thru.

And what? It came late... covered in ice? Oh man :/ I really hope that they let me take it on board... I am going to call up to night and see what British Airways have to say.

Thank you all for you replies once again, really interesting to read through, especially Alberto, thanks for taking the time for that length post.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Any time bro ;)

Septor

Reaction score
Yes, according to BA I can take it on board as long it's under 50" long, which it's 39. Wooh :D

')