Guitars we own.

• Thread starter Digital Black
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
what is everyones favorite gear? you have and maybe you want? and why? I love my Damage Control Engineering Preamp and my EVENTIDE dsp 7000.....and my very own amp called a Billy VII 120 watts of mosfet power stereo 1 rack space...16lbs....bridged 320watts

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a GNX3 right now, just for recording. I love the 2101, just can't get the fucker to sound like anything less than bottled ass when run into Cakewalk.

A Mesa 412's on the list as well. Anyone want to buy an, erm, "Vintage" peavey 4x12 for say... $2000? :D

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
are you useing some sort of tube buffer before you go into your computers sound card? I use a VHT valvulator on (L) side and a Access BS2 (R) side to give me a little variation of tones when mixing but blended together :lol: ...well I like it :eek: ...I also use the BS2 for live situations I have it as a splitter before my power amp...Like Butter :D .....makes crunch more crunchy and adds sustain and makes solos more silky.....I been using Genz Benz 2x12 Flex cabs they handle the low stuff really well and you can fine tube port them. :agreed: ... :eek:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nope. The last tune I recorded, Midwinter, was done double tracked with a GNX3 and engineered by Josh, so he might be able to tell you a bit more about the setup, but the to-disc tone that he got was pretty fuckin' great in my opinion.

http://www.sevenstring.org/audio/midwinter.mp3

Everything I've done with the 2101 has been an adventure. If you hit my music page, Cloudline was done single track mono, One Fell West was single track stereo. OFW sounds a _little_ better, but the overall tone of both is horseshit compared to the stuff JC mixed for me. Doubletracking it helps a ton, but still with all of the emulators and whatnot in the 2101 and the fact that I'm running the onboard compressor AND a separate rack compressor before the mix, either I really blow at mixing or the 2101 just isn't a really good studio preamp unless you can mic up your cabs (another endeavor altogether).

I'll wait on Josh to tell what the actual setup was, I know it was something like Guit-> GNX -> RNC Compressor -> Motu -> RNC -> soundcard, but I'm not sure exactly.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
I like it sounds really good....worth a second and a third listen...soon as my web master gets off his lazy AZZ and gets my web site complete i will have all my stuff on there..I am working on a solo shred cd with all the rythmes done with 7's and i even swtched on of my Carvin 727's to have a high C string instead of a low B..ear beanding ehheheh!!!! the Bi-o-itch was to get the bass guitar to sound differnet to the 7's when clean they absorb the same frequenceys..but i found a secret to that..that i will not reveal....my studio thingy...hehehhe!!!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
here's all my stuff.

IM001438.JPG

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is that a custom finish on the 7621, or did they come in natural like that?

That looks great!

Edit: Is that a fixed bridge?

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, it's a custom finish done by it's previous owner. looks like he just stripped off the black and put some kinda clearcoat or stain on it. i'm wanting to get it redone, not like a new finish, but a darker stain. it's a bit too yellow for my taste. but i got it cheap, and it's my first 7string :)

yeah, the rg7621 has a fixed bridge. the rg570 has a floating trem. i couldn't play Tool on it, or any alternate tunings for that matter. my desire to belt out Tool songs was primarily the inspiration for looking for a fixed bridge guitar. and when i saw the ad for the rg7621 on Jemsite, i jumped on it!

J

Josh

Nice! I love fixed bridge guitars...trying to change the tuning (or even string gauge) is such a pain in the ass on a floating trem. :agreed:

I wonder what the wood looks like under the paint on my RG550? Hmmm.... :yum:

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
Josh said:
Nice! I love fixed bridge guitars...trying to change the tuning (or even string gauge) is such a pain in the ass on a floating trem. :agreed:

I wonder what the wood looks like under the paint on my RG550? Hmmm.... :yum:
there's only one way to find out :D

...but, it's a gamble. it could look cool, it could look like crap lol

what kind of finish does it have on it now?

J

Josh

It's just a gloss black. I've had this guitar for almost 10 years...it's been around the block and back, so I'm really not worried about messing it up. :D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Josh said:
It's just a gloss black. I've had this guitar for almost 10 years...it's been around the block and back, so I'm really not worried about messing it up. :D

If you touch that guitar, I'll kick you in the 'nads!

That thing is the intonation god dude. I've played the CRAP out of your 550 and the thing stays true better than any guitar I've ever played. Don't touch it, it's blessed!

J

Josh

Chris said:
If you touch that guitar, I'll kick you in the 'nads!

That thing is the intonation god dude. I've played the CRAP out of your 550 and the thing stays true better than any guitar I've ever played. Don't touch it, it's blessed!
:lol: I've had it apart a few times already though, and it still stays in tune. I can pretty much let it sit for 6 months and not have to tune it when I pick it up again. :agreed:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Josh said:
:lol: I've had it apart a few times already though, and it still stays in tune. I can pretty much let it sit for 6 months and not have to tune it when I pick it up again. :agreed:

It's the lucky headstock crack. It adds tone, I tell you!

(if you do decide to do it, come up here and do it and I'll do my 550 with you) ;)

J

Josh

Chris said:
It's the lucky headstock crack. It adds tone, I tell you!

(if you do decide to do it, come up here and do it and I'll do my 550 with you) ;)
You'll have to come to Derry if I do it. :p Garage=pwn workshop. :agreed:

J

Josh

Chris said:
Oh hell yes. :D

Always wanted a natural finish 'guit. :)
:yum: Well I say we get some paint stripper and see how it goes! :lol: The worst that's gonna happen is I have to repaint the 550. :D

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
Josh said:
:yum: Well I say we get some paint stripper and see how it goes! :lol: The worst that's gonna happen is I have to repaint the 550. :D
and if you do repaint it, you can definitely do better than gloss black ;)

')