Guitars with flatter necks?

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I feel like I almost enjoy 8 string necks on some guitars over a 6 string necks just because they are so much flatter.

I like having some more “shoulder” to the neck so I have a bigger landing to rest my thumb.

I feel like I get this somewhat on Ibanez necks just because they are thinner but, what I really want is a more square profile overall.

Any suggestions for companies that offer guitar necks like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like I almost enjoy 8 string necks on some guitars over a 6 string necks just because they are so much flatter.

I like having some more “shoulder” to the neck so I have a bigger landing to rest my thumb.

I feel like I get this somewhat on Ibanez necks just because they are thinner but, what I really want is a more square profile overall.

Any suggestions for companies that offer guitar necks like this?

Look for an old (giant route on the back no matter what controls, blocky heel joint, non-tilt headstock) Strictly 7. Those things were practically 2x4s. :lol:

Bearitone

Reaction score
lol! Looks like I’ll have to look into either a Jackson Juggernaut or the Mick Thomson sig

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

That says 19mm thickness at the first fret, so it wouldn't be thinner than the classic Wizard or Super Wizard neck profiles, which were 17mm. Wizard Prestige and various specialty profiles were 18mm. The Wizard II was 19mm. So that Schecter neck wouldn't be thinner than any Wizard necks except some of the 7 and 8 strings. It'd actually be equally thick as various Wizard 7 profiles.

Bearitone

Reaction score
That says 19mm thickness at the first fret, so it wouldn't be thinner than the classic Wizard or Super Wizard neck profiles, which were 17mm. Wizard Prestige and various specialty profiles were 18mm. The Wizard II was 19mm. So that Schecter neck wouldn't be thinner than any Wizard necks except some of the 7 and 8 strings. It'd actually be equally thick as various Wizard 7 profiles.
Oh my bad. RG's are 17mm to 19mm
I thought the thinnest ones were 19mm to 21mm

gclef

Reaction score
The flattest necks ive come across is the 7s wizard premium.
The 6 string feels a little less flat feeling due to the width.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
How about petrucci's ? with radius from 16 to 20" :)

To my knowledge, the only JP with a 20' fretboard is the JPXI, which is discontinued.

I have one and I love it, partly due to the 20' radius, the insane lead tone and the more U shaped neck profile (i.e. flatter without big shoulders) which make it super easy to play. I really prefer it to the JP15; no clue why they chose to discontinue it.

I had a Jackson soloist SL2H and it was great, but the neck was nowhere near flat. It was in between C and D shaped, i.e. less flat than all Wizard necks I tried, more thick and with bigger shoulders.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Flattest one I have is my RGA121. I think that’s a Wizard II.

I’ll take it out for a run for a week or so, slowly get hand cramps and then stick it back in the closet for 2-3 weeks and go back to my ESPs lol

Lax

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the only JP with a 20' fretboard is the JPXI, which is discontinued.

I have one and I love it, partly due to the 20' radius, the insane lead tone and the more U shaped neck profile (i.e. flatter without big shoulders) which make it super easy to play. I really prefer it to the JP15; no clue why they chose to discontinue it.

I had a Jackson soloist SL2H and it was great, but the neck was nowhere near flat. It was in between C and D shaped, i.e. less flat than all Wizard necks I tried, more thick and with bigger shoulders.
And the JP12, that is way easier to find second hand :)

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
And the JP12, that is way easier to find second hand :)

Thanks, I forgot that model. Unfortunately the JP12 doesn’t have the lead tone or playability of the JPXI (different neck profile).

I hope MM makes more 20’’ radius JPs.

Lax

Reaction score
Honestly, apart the body wood, if I remind correctly the 11 and 12 are the same guitars.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Kiesel Holdsworth?

Not sure what they did with the Ibanez RG565 reissue but that feels so thin and wide. Like abnormally so. Only guitar that’s ever given me wrist fatigue lol.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thin and wide sounds like a D shape - robot graves aluminum neck comes to mind.

')