Guitars you are/were completely blown away by....

• Thread starter mystix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
$3500 BRJ? Did it have $2500 stashed in the control cavity?
No this was in 2008 long before it came out that he was a scamming douche. This was during the days when everyone was raving about how amazing they were. I got it off Boogie Street Music while I was deployed in Iraq. It was a fancy neck through mahogany body with quilt top. I wasn't blown away with the guitar or the service. Especially for the price I paid. It had chrome hardware but they tossed a gold trem bar in the case. The case was a joke. It was just an empty fucking case with a bunch of random cut up pieces of felt covered foam from making other cases tossed inside and not secured. The mini toggle for the boost broke off in shipping. The guitar played just as well as any Korean LTD or Ibanez I had up to that point. It was pretty disappointing in comparison to how my plain black KH4 ESP from the custom shop played.

Mikeitloud

Reaction score
I've had my PRS Torero for about 2 years now, I still can't get over how much I love this guitar.
I also recently got a Jackson SL2 soloist, Another great guitar! I now have a problem... which one do I play. They both have blown me away
1469d6fb-78a6-4209-a9c5-31a6bd0ed22c-original.jpg

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
No this was in 2008 long before it came out that he was a scamming douche. This was during the days when everyone was raving about how amazing they were. I got it off Boogie Street Music while I was deployed in Iraq. It was a fancy neck through mahogany body with quilt top. I wasn't blown away with the guitar or the service. Especially for the price I paid. It had chrome hardware but they tossed a gold trem bar in the case. The case was a joke. It was just an empty fucking case with a bunch of random cut up pieces of felt covered foam from making other cases tossed inside and not secured. The mini toggle for the boost broke off in shipping. The guitar played just as well as any Korean LTD or Ibanez I had up to that point. It was pretty disappointing in comparison to how my plain black KH4 ESP from the custom shop played.

You had a $3500 guitar shipped to the FOB or back stateside for your return?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Reaction score
No it was shipped home. I had a BC Rich ASM pro and a Gibson flying v shipped to the fob.

Korean BCR blew me away being flawless and great playing for like 6-700USD hard currency in those days.

pott

Reaction score
Out of those I still own:
* Vigier G.V. Wood. Seriously impecable, unique, incredible instrument. I absolutely adore it
DSC_3163 (Large).JPG
* MusicMan JP15. I love MM as a brand, but out of all their models the JPs have always been my least interesting/favorite by FAR. The JP15, however, is something else entirely. It just feels incredible to play, touch, hear... great instrument
IMG_20180628_132245275.jpg
* My Waghorn. It's too good, I can be scared of playing it. But I do anyway, because a guitar is a tool, and if they do not get wielded, they are useless. That guitar is everything I expected it to be and more. Stunning musical instrument
IMG_20181124_191357481 (Large).jpg
DSC_2950 (Large).JPG
* All my Aristides are great. My 7-string is an absolute precision machine and my fanned-fret 6 is Perfect. These guitars get better every time and given how high they started, that's high praise
DSC_9217 (Medium).JPG DSC_3216 (Large).JPG

Out of those I no-longer have:
* My MusicMan Albert Lee HH. This one got stolen. It was my #1. I've ad other ALs, and they were equally good (MusicMan is a consistent brand, by-and-large) but that one was MY #1. Not a replacement. Not a proxy. It was the one...

Last edited:

xDarkCrisisx

Reaction score
My Brent Hinds Flying V

Went into my local Sam Ash on a whim one day just because I hadn't been in there in years. Played a bunch of Jacksons and ESPs because I never dug the traditional Flying V shape. On my way out I saw it hanging next to a Snow Falcon and figured I might as well try both. Played the Falcon and just didn't like it. The pickups were not for me, and almost just bailed there.

Holy shit man, the second I held the Brent Hinds, the neck just felt perfect for me. I never used to like big necks (didn't like very thin either) but it just felt right. Played it through a Fender Mustang IV digital combo and because of the lace pickups I could make it shriek like I was playing out of an Orange tube head.

I played that guitar alone for a solid hour, and for the rest of the week I couldn't stop thinking about it. I went back exactly one week later and tried it through an OR-15 and 2x12, the store was dead so I could really play at a good volume and just bought the guitar right then and there. Got it set up for my preferred tuning at the time (D Standard) and was on my way.

I use a custom setting in Bias FX with this guitar that will let me go from a perfect Windhand tone, to a dead on Gojira tone just by adjust the volume(s) and the tone. This guitar is just a juggernaut and I honestly think about getting a 2nd one just to have it in multiple tunings.

Attachments

• 18199027_10211303177867936_4655988816801474332_n.jpg
    18199027_10211303177867936_4655988816801474332_n.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 24

elkoki

Reaction score
My 2015 Ibanez Prestige RG665 guitar in Firestorm Orange was way beyond my expectations. I already owned a 2006 RG1570 and 2010 RG1420F guitars which have the Wizard Prestige necks so I already had experience with thin necks but the RG665 has the thinner Super Wizard Prestige that completely killed the Wizard Prestige. Had no idea that 1 millimeter could make a huge difference in playing.

Don't RG1570's also have Super Wizard Prestige necks?

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
I’ve had a bunch that’s blown me away, probably will miss a few.
Ibanez PGM301 - had forever, still fits like a glove
Suhr Modern
Charvel Dk24 pro-mod with the roasted neck in Army Drab
Caparison Horus FX-AM

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Not mine, so I don’t have a picture. But everyone knows what a Charvel GG looks like. I played the ash one for a bit, and it’s seriously the nicest bolt-on I’ve ever played.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
I've had my PRS Torero for about 2 years now, I still can't get over how much I love this guitar.
I also recently got a Jackson SL2 soloist, Another great guitar! I now have a problem... which one do I play. They both have blown me away
1469d6fb-78a6-4209-a9c5-31a6bd0ed22c-original.jpg

Put an OFR withwBig Brass Block on that Torero. You'll thank me.

Also, the Torero is a gateway drug.

Mikeitloud

Reaction score
Put an OFR withwBig Brass Block on that Torero. You'll thank me.

Also, the Torero is a gateway drug.

Ya tell me about it..... I traded my Epiphone les paul for a Custom 22, about a month later, even though it's an SE, it's still a great guitar. I'm really happy with the FR1000

Of all the guitars I've had with floyd's they have always have been licensed..... = garbage, the FR1000 is miles better, and good enough for me

Musiscience

Reaction score
The Suhr S3 I once had. The feel, finish, sound, woods and overall quality was breathtaking. Really regretting parting ways with it at the moment, especially with HSS GAS.

Yul Brynner

Reaction score
I've only ever been blown away by a Fender maybe two or three times in my life. But. One thing I can say about Fender that I can't say about any other brand is that I have never been disappointed with a Fender. The necks are always comfortable and they always feel and sound like I expect a Fender to. The one custom shop Fender I own and the other one that I played both went above my expectations of a Fender. They are probably the most consistent quality of the big companies.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
The one guitar that still sticks with me mentally to this day with how awesome it was, has to be the Charvel Guthrie Govan sig. A guitar I can never afford nor could I justify owning, but by gum it played like butter, sounded incredible and made me play *and* sound way better than I actually am. I was going through some kinda mini EVH combo/head if I recall. Also the matte finish was so smooth it seemed almost completely frictionless.

boogie2

Reaction score
My first Tom Anderson was an eye opener. I had a strat that I loved and had played for years that was starting to have neck warp issues. I was in a little shop looking for a replacement. I had been trying out custom shop Strats and generally being pretty underwhelmed by them. They had recently lost their Anderson dealership but still had one classic hanging on the wall. The guy handed it to me and said try this. OMG! The tone and the feel of the guitar were SO much better than the high end strats I had been trying. I was sold in a heartbeat. Since it was their last one they gave me a blowout price on it too! Still own it too many years later.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Parker fly deluxe. I’ve played plenty of USA guitars and was never really thaaat impressed, but when I got my Parker it changed everything about how I look at quality and design. Completely blows me away

broj15

Reaction score
Honestly really loving the aria pro II ts-500 I bought off a friend of mine. I mainly bought it from him for sentimental reasons (really liked the band he used it in). However when I got it and plugged it in I was blown away. People always say tone is in the fingers, but in this instance it's definitely in this guitar. No idea what kind of pups are in it (aftermarket of some kind, as the originals woulda been black & cream) but along with the brass nut this things screams. I've got it set up in drop A right now, and the lows are super thick and palm mutes are chunky, yet still tight through most rigs I've ran it through (Peavey vk100, Roadmaster, and musician 400). Not to mention the neck is surprisingly thin for a "vintage" style guitar, but not as flat as an ibanez, which seems to suit me better these days.

IMG-20181028-171935.jpg