Guitars you are/were completely blown away by....

• Thread starter mystix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonal

Reaction score
Currently being blown away by this thing. The Charvel Dk24...

I've played Ibanez and Fender style guitars my whole life. For a while I've been realizing that my needs as a guitar player today lie somewhere in the middle of both of these styles. ....

....Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my thoughts. I LOVE this instrument. Don't let the Made in Mexico label deter you if you are on the fence, I cannot find any glaring flaws in this guitar that MIM and other import guitars are known for. Bravo, Charvel.

Completely get you there. I have an RG550EX and sometimes just find that neck way too thin to be a 'pleasure' to play. I have a Strat Plus (1995) that has a chunkier neck that feels HUUUUUGE next to it (as does my Epi Black Beauty 3 pickup).

I've got an MIJ HRR Strat from 93- their answer to Charvels etc at the time. It's got the PERFECT neck on it- but the guitar is quite fragile now (basswood- it's about as Cracked and battered as Vai's EVO). A great spec at the price then too- OFR, DiMarzio pickup (specially designed for it I believe- but close to a Super 2 or Super 3). Cost me £425 new.

I've considered looking at those Charvels as a guitar I'm confident to take out again- if I could get one with a basswood body and as near as dammit pickups as the HRR strat, I'd be chuffed. The body on that strat is properly resonant.

Totally agree with Mex too- my mate's Baja Player's Tele is gorgeous. Needs a bit of fret tidying but a great guitar. I'm happy with any guitar I've got made in Korea (PRS SE, washburn bass, Epi BB3) or Indonesia (Faith acoustic and Sire bass). I don't think top quality is exclusive to the US or Japan these days.

Asides from the HRR Strat (even my local tech still knows it well and remarks on how good it sounds after many years), my SE Custom 24 is still an absolute winner for me. Having played a couple of other peoples' PRS guitars, I wasn't that taken. Tried the SE in a shop and it was calling my name for a good few months until I could afford to do it (albeit on 9months interest free!!). I'm so glad I did. Totally happy with it. And it's another with the neck that is in the middle- not super slim shredfest or super chunky vintage. Slim enough to be easy to play, with enough girth to feel comfortable in any situation (oo-er!!). Stock pickups sound great to me too.

My RG1527 is also an absolute winner- from the time I tried it in the shop (the silkiest, smoothest frets I've EVER played!!) I still use it as my main practice instrument, though I don't really do much else with it. I love the big chunky neck and feel of the fretboard.

jco5055

Reaction score
I would not say I've actually ever been "blown away" by a guitar, but the closest so far I'd say is the Aristides 060 I tried out at Chicago Music Exchange. The place has Mayones, Suhrs, high end Jacksons, Musicmans, Charvel GGsig etc and I honestly thought nothing else there compared. Here's hoping my 070 build will be my first, though I'm sure even if it's not I'll still love it.

On a related note, though this thread is just opinions obviously but it seems like in general I always see Suhr, Andersons, and PRS PS kind of upheld as the true "best of the best" not counting if one NEEDS unique features like Strandberg eque ergonomics, and like the only guitars out there that are worth $4k+. Any others out there? Looking up all these guitars and fantasizing about being able to afford all of them helps me get through my work day haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.