Guitars you regret getting rid of

• Thread starter Jeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Karl. I've not sold any guitars, but quite literally every one of them is a beater.

I could probably sell all of them and end up with enough cash to buy a nice guitar, but I'm too attached to them ^_____^

I like rescuing oddball guitars from pawnshops and then dismantling them with the intention of a respray and new hardware...then not actually getting around to it till a few years later...but it's still a fun passtime ;D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
jarrydn said:
I'm in the same boat as Karl. I've not sold any guitars, but quite literally every one of them is a beater.

I could probably sell all of them and end up with enough cash to buy a nice guitar, but I'm too attached to them ^_____^

I like rescuing oddball guitars from pawnshops and then dismantling them with the intention of a respray and new hardware...then not actually getting around to it till a few years later...but it's still a fun passtime ;D

Yep, that's exactly it. ;)

I know what you mean though, I've got a neck-through superstrat here that needs a refinish and electronics/hardware, and she'd be a super player, but I've barely half the original finish sanded off...

I was also thinking of nabbing a RG7620 body and seeing what I could do with that.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
I know what you mean though, I've got a neck-through superstrat here that needs a refinish and electronics/hardware, and she'd be a super player, but I've barely half the original finish sanded off...

I was also thinking of nabbing a RG7620 body and seeing what I could do with that.

Eek, a neck-through. I don't envy you. Stripping the paint from that would sure be a hassle!!

I've been making more leeway on my Aria superstrat today...however, with clear lacquer layered on around half a centimetre thick, I've decided I'm going to go for a grungy finish because there is no way I'm going to try and remove all of that :p. I wanna try out a stone textured finish. My reasoning is that it will hide all of the imperfections :D

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
jarrydn said:
Eek, a neck-through. I don't envy you. Stripping the paint from that would sure be a hassle!!

I've been making more leeway on my Aria superstrat today...however, with clear lacquer layered on around half a centimetre thick, I've decided I'm going to go for a grungy finish because there is no way I'm going to try and remove all of that :p. I wanna try out a stone textured finish. My reasoning is that it will hide all of the imperfections :D

That's not the worst part, it's only routed for one pickup, and I was thinking it would be cool to have a HSS config. It's routed for a Fender style trem too, so if I want something good in there, that's more routing work. Was thinking of just popping a wilkinson in there and being done with it though.

The RG7620 body would be cool, because it's already routed perfectly. All I'd need to do is put a nice decal or something on it, and I'd be sorted for a cool finish.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
That's not the worst part, it's only routed for one pickup, and I was thinking it would be cool to have a HSS config. It's routed for a Fender style trem too, so if I want something good in there, that's more routing work. Was thinking of just popping a wilkinson in there and being done with it though.

The RG7620 body would be cool, because it's already routed perfectly. All I'd need to do is put a nice decal or something on it, and I'd be sorted for a cool finish.

Wilkinson for the win. One of the few good pieces of equipment that came installed on my cheap Aria :p

I've been down the pickup routing road before, and it blows. Especially when it's your first time doing it and you don't set up a jig to do it :p.

7620 would be killer :). I'm doing the opposite to my harley benton crapstick :p. I'm filling in the neck humbucker route and the trem cavitiy, and installing a hardtail :D

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool.

Anyway, I think we best shut up before we drag the thread completely off topic. ;)

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Turns out I might have a buyer for the trumpet I am selling......$800!! That's nearly all the way there for the DC727, but definitely enough to put the deposit down on it while they start it, and save up the last $200 which is no problem. Hopefully it goes through.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I doesn't miss nothing, with mine im very happy.

But i really want a second 7's.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I miss my Jem7VSBL - needed the money at the time, but damn that was a nice guitar.

I will kill for that JEM!

It's so nice the paint, and more the hardware.

BTW Jeff, that Carvin it's simple amazing!

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I will kill for that JEM!

It's so nice the paint, and more the hardware.

BTW Jeff, that Carvin it's simple amazing!

Yeah, it was. I've like changed my mind ten times since I started this thread about what my next 7 will be. Carvin keeps raising their price for the same guitar every year; it's about $100 more than it was when I got it. But who knows. It largely depends on what I get for the trumpet I still haven't sold yet.

In the running would be the Carvin, the Ibanez Apex2, and the Schecter Blackjack.

But until I can decide on something for more than 48 hours, I am not dropping any dough.

One thing's for sure; the pickups in my RG1527 need changing, because right now they sound like sloppy green apple splattered poop.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
RG550DY - great guitar, loved the maple board.
Charvel/Jackson CH2 - Awesome rock guitar, at least back then... :ugh:

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Gits I regret getting rid of? OMG...:ugh: Many vintage axes, some cool amps too.

'57 Goldtop LP
'67 Flying V
'62 Sg/LP std
'67 SG/Melody Maker 12
'71 LP custom
'62 Strat
'66 Tele (my first fender)
'69 Dan Armstrong plexiglass
'71 Rickenbacker 4001 bass
'79 BC Rich Mockingbird koa
'23 Martin 2-17
'55 Martin D18
'72 Martin D28

Ive had easily over a hundred guitars over the last 25 years or so, but these are the ones off the top of my head I regret. Especially that damn goldtop. If I had kept that till now, I could have used that toward a down payment on a condo. :wallbash: Still, I did make 10x what I paid for it, and that was 20 years ago. :shrug:

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
1 USA Hammer Diablo w/ reverse headstock. Was so sweet! Dumb ass!
2 79 Gibson SG custom. Had the big headstock full binding with the crown inlay
3 ESP eclipse not ltd.... I ended up getting that one back, never again!
4 Early 90s Ibanez saber. I had EMGs in that baby.
5 Gibson LesPaul studio lite. Even thought it had that balsa wood core it sounded great.
6 My old blue standard strat with Dimarzio TZ HB. My first real axe.

Impulse buys that I got rid of in a hurry:

Ibanez Iceman..WTF was I thinking
Epiphone LP custom...Sounded like CRAP through my Triaxis at the time
Squire strat

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
During my church daze (why can't I be just be happy, remain indoctrinated, let others do my thinking)...anyway this is about charity motivated by guilt. I was talked out of two of my guitars by a couple of cry-baby sob stories. One guy gave his to a relative and the other...DAMN!! this pisses me off to think about it, they can kiss my ass....However this is an excellent thread.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Gits I regret getting rid of? OMG...:ugh: Many vintage axes, some cool amps too.

'57 Goldtop LP
'67 Flying V
'62 Sg/LP std
'67 SG/Melody Maker 12
'71 LP custom
'62 Strat
'66 Tele (my first fender)
'69 Dan Armstrong plexiglass
'71 Rickenbacker 4001 bass
'79 BC Rich Mockingbird koa
'23 Martin 2-17
'55 Martin D18
'72 Martin D28

Ive had easily over a hundred guitars over the last 25 years or so, but these are the ones off the top of my head I regret. Especially that damn goldtop. If I had kept that till now, I could have used that toward a down payment on a condo. :wallbash: Still, I did make 10x what I paid for it, and that was 20 years ago. :shrug:
:eek: Wow! That's alot of nice vintage guitars you let go. That's a nice collection. :D

')