Guthrie Govan Appreciation

• Thread starter TheFerryMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Some of my favorite words from Guthrie is when he's asked about the "jazz-fusion" movement among a lot of modern metal/rock players these days and here is his response:

Very sound words from Govan there, a lot of time when I hear metal players saying they've got a "fusion thing going on" it just means they are playing chromatic notes over a fairly standard chord progression, when in reality there is little in the way of actual ethos of fusion in their music. I'm not saying it cannot be done, a few bands, or specifically musicians, I think do it well in metal, but I do think a lot of "jazz metal" bands are just metal bands who use a lot of dissonance and odd rhythms and throw the fusion tag on it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bey0ndreaz0n

Reaction score
Some of my favorite words from Guthrie is when he's asked about the "jazz-fusion" movement among a lot of modern metal/rock players these days and here is his response:

Hey I'd be interested to know where you got this quote from, was it an interview?

wakjob

Reaction score
Just caught him last night with Steven Wilson. Fucking incredible. He may be the perfect guitar player. Phenomenal performance by the whole band as well.

I went to this show too. I was shocked to see Guthrie on that stage. What a splendid surprise.

Probably my favorite act that night. Katatonia and Opeth were great but, not being much of a metal fan anymore, Steven Wilson made my night.

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
I went to this show too. I was shocked to see Guthrie on that stage. What a splendid surprise.

Probably my favorite act that night. Katatonia and Opeth were great but, not being much of a metal fan anymore, Steven Wilson made my night.

Saw Steven Wilson on 4/20 in DC, seeing KatPeth tonight in Norfolk. Got a chance to meet and talk to Guthrie after the whole thing. He was kind enough to pose for this rad picture with me and my buddy Joe:

JFi8apF.jpg

All around top notch performer. Never heard anyone play with his style. The way he sneaks in chromatics but retains the musicality of his phrasing is wholesomely unique to me.

(I'm on the right)

')