Guthrie Govan

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

god_puppet

Reaction score
He's a great guitarist, one of my favs at the moment. I recommend everyone check out his cd, Erotic Cake, its a great album.

Sleeper

Reaction score
god_puppet said:
He's a great guitarist, one of my favs at the moment. I recommend everyone check out his cd, Erotic Cake, its a great album.

+1 to that. The cd is outstanding. Plus by all accounts he's a really nice humble guy, which is cool.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm a little worried seeing as the entire Jemsite community flipped over the guy. This means he's probably really technical, bizarre, quirky, and vaguely Zappa-esq, which means I probably won't like it.

...but I'll certainly check out his Myspace to be sure. :)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm a little worried seeing as the entire Jemsite community flipped over the guy. This means he's probably really technical, bizarre, quirky, and vaguely Zappa-esq, which means I probably won't like it.

Well, ummmmm...yeah, lol! His stuff's got far more substance than typical shred fare though, so I'd still check him out.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
All of the stuff I've heard from Mr. Govan, while very technical, is still very tasteful. One of these days I'm gonna order his album :yesway:

Paul Warren

Contributor
Reaction score

No need to worry. One of the most tasteful and articulate players out there. I first discovered him about 3 years ago at a clinic in LA and was sold. His playing is so diverse and well-structured with tasty phrasing, it's a shame he gets lumped into the "shred" genre. He's got a rock fusion band and a jazz fusion band, so he's really not shred at all. Light years ahead of standard shred stuff...

paul

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Guthrie Govan is awesome, I saw a video of him playing EJ's Manhattan on the EJ forums a year ago and I was impressed, I seen a whole bunch of videos of him on tone merchants too, what a fantastic guitar player. :agreed:

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad I can be of some use around here!
Man that mix he has over at MySpace is insane, he's all over the place!

bulb

Reaction score
yeah dude, this guy is up there with mattias eklundh for me as far as the most creative/articulate/technically amazing while still insanely tasteful guitarist out there...
That rhode island shred song is beyond amazing and he calls it country haha!

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell I was just listenning to Rich Murrays Guitar Channel and Guthrie comes on again, so I was going to start a thread on Guthrie, looks like someone already beat me to it:scratch:

Dang he's got riffage up the wazoo!

Reaction score
Wow, didnt really k ow he was such a great guitarplayer. Didnt he work for some english guitarmagazine or something? I think I remember his name from "guitartechnique". Awesome video. I will check out more from him.

Ibanez_Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, Guthrie is the man. An absolutely scary freak of a guitarist :eek: , I love his stuff. Seed, you are correct, he does a lot of columns for Guitar Techniques magazine. And he's got 2 instructional books out that I'm going to pick up very soon:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Guitar-2-Advanced-Techniques/dp/1860744672

Anyone here get a chance to check them out, and if so, what do you think?

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen him two times and both times very impressed.he will be playing at NAMM 2007 at Tone merchants he's worth checking out..... even if you cannot play what he does it is fun to see him....even with a closed mind!:hbang:

Carrion

Et tu, Brute?
Reaction score
Amazing player. His Erotic Cakes album is pure genious with a lot of diversity.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
jesus christ this guy is really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWqaotodtE

Awesome, thanks!

Here's some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YpF7k2jkMM

and this is just sic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKRbPvPeWB8

From what I am watching this dude is schooled in practically every dimension known to guitar. I'm watching him play slide guitar, fuck me...jazz, fusion, metal, country, blues

More stuff, I am floored this guys is insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lx5ZtUdyk

')