Guthrie Govan

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Govan. "Sevens" is particularly awesome. I'm planning on ordering both of his technique books for my birthday if the US amazon has them stocked.

DR, do you have the january 2006 transcription of his "favorite licks" from Guitar Techniques? I've never been able to find that magazine here in the US except at borders ever once in awhile which sucks because it seems to be the best of the new age guitar mags.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Govan. "Sevens" is particularly awesome. I'm planning on ordering both of his technique books for my birthday if the US amazon has them stocked.

DR, do you have the january 2006 transcription of his "favorite licks" from Guitar Techniques? I've never been able to find that magazine here in the US except at borders ever once in awhile which sucks because it seems to be the best of the new age guitar mags.

Do you mean the tab of 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' (which I do have), or the tab from the recent interview (which I don't)?

Yngtchie Blacksteen

Reaction score
Bump for Guthrie. I have his EC album and all three Tone Merchants DVDs, and it's all good. His technique is incredible, which we all know, but it's his musicality that sets him apart from most other technical monsters. He can play damn near anything, and still knows how to write memorable instrumental tunes.

I hope the sophmore release isn't too far away, I'm really looking forward to hearing how he's progressed as a songwriter, considering most of the EC tunes were written many years back. Guthrie is the modern guitarist I have the most faith in.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Bump for Guthrie. I have his EC album and all three Tone Merchants DVDs, and it's all good. His technique is incredible, which we all know, but it's his musicality that sets him apart from most other technical monsters. He can play damn near anything, and still knows how to write memorable instrumental tunes.

I hope the sophmore release isn't too far away, I'm really looking forward to hearing how he's progressed as a songwriter, considering most of the EC tunes were written many years back. Guthrie is the modern guitarist I have the most faith in.

Agreed, I'd love to hear a CD with him covering every style of guitar known to man, I'm serious!

Yngtchie Blacksteen

Reaction score
The only thing I haven't heard him play is anything acoustic, steel-string or classical. I know he can, but what would it sound like? Does he have the versatility of Phil Keaggy or Jukka Tolonen?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Apparently he can do some insane DiMeola-style flatpicking on the acoustic, but I don't think he's ever been a big fingerstyle guy...

god_puppet

Reaction score
^Nice vid

It seems like Govan can play any style of music and sound great doing. Easily one of my favs right now.

ScareRaven

The Golden Raven
Reaction score
Yep, Guthrie is the man. An absolutely scary freak of a guitarist :eek: , I love his stuff. Seed, you are correct, he does a lot of columns for Guitar Techniques magazine. And he's got 2 instructional books out that I'm going to pick up very soon:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Guitar-2-Advanced-Techniques/dp/1860744672

Anyone here get a chance to check them out, and if so, what do you think?

I have both of them and they're very unique indeed! I've been meaning to pick up more instructional DVD's and the like recently. A friend of mine suggested these to me. Mr. Govan has a very modest approach to how he approachs instruction. It's very easy to follow his concepts and after reading through these, I realized that I missed out on a lot during my first few years of playing the electric.

')