Guthrie Govan's personal Suhr Standard for sale

• Thread starter WillDfx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jgaul79

Reaction score
Would someone be able to explain something to me? I'm not fully up on Suhr guitars or what they run for new and all of them that I have seen look exceptional. Is their asking price inflated that much just because Guthrie use to own that guitar? What they are asking for this just seems absurd to me.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Is their asking price inflated that much just because Guthrie use to own that guitar? What they are asking for this just seems absurd to me.

Totally. The price is way up because Guthrie owned it.

That said, if I was going to pay 8 grand for one of his guitars, I'd want one of the main players. I wonder if it will sell.

kreaturesleeper

Reaction score
Im not saying there is. However if Im paying 8 grand for a guitar that has one, I dont expect it to have a chrome neck plate. Ive seen tons of beautiful guitars that have countersunk neck screws, and no plate whatsoever, that were built for a lot less. I understand the price is inflated due to the nature/history/previous owner of the guitar. Im just stating my opinion on how I would (not) spend a down payment on a car for a wall hanger/trophy... with a bolt on neck

Meanwhile in another thread for 1 grand:

IMG_1363_zps1cf7b92a.jpg

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
Im not saying there is. However if Im paying 8 grand for a guitar that has one, I dont expect it to have a chrome neck plate. Ive seen tons of beautiful guitars that have countersunk neck screws, and no plate whatsoever, that were built for a lot less. I understand the price is inflated due to the nature/history/previous owner of the guitar. Im just stating my opinion on how I would (not) spend a down payment on a car for a wall hanger/trophy... with a bolt on neck

Meanwhile in another thread for 1 grand:

IMG_1363_zps1cf7b92a.jpg

So a bolt-on with a plate is something worse than one without one? :lol:

mniel8195

Reaction score
yeah i don't understand your neck plate argument. you cant really have one on that style of guitar.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
8K5 is way over the top. It's triple the price of a new one ? I don't see Govan's name being that collectible.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I dont care who owned it, Im not paying 8 grand for a bolt on neck.

I don't give a fuck about bolt-on or not, I'm not paying 8 grand for a guitar, full stop.

Bolt-on necks are not inferior by any means (not objectively anyway, from there it's all personal preference).

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm cool with the following:

1) Guitar with no sig or previous ownership = MSRP.
2) Guitar with a signature = MSRP + 20ish Percent (Depending on how often he/she would sign)
3) Guitar owned by said person = MSRP + 50-75 Percent (Depending on likelihood of sale)

But tripling the value simply because he played and owned it? I mean, I dig the guy and think he's one of the best players on the planet, but at what point to you begin to to do him an injustice by trying to make money off of his name...!?

Edit: I did see a guy on eBay trying to sell a signed SE Tremonti for $4,000, so I guess anything's possible with some folks trying to make a quick buck off someone else's prestige.

Edit: To be fair, I suppose they aren't marketing it to players, it's almost more a museum piece, in which case the price is probably pennies to some investors...

kreaturesleeper

Reaction score
So a bolt-on with a plate is something worse than one without one? :lol:

yeah i don't understand your neck plate argument. you cant really have one on that style of guitar.

The bolt on with a plate or without one has nothing to do with playability, nor did I say it did, NOR did I say bolt on necks were inferior to set necks or neck-thrus. My "argument"(opinion) is that I wouldn't pay 8,000 dollars for a guitar with a chrome neck plate, because its not pleasing aesthetically. Not sure how much clearer I can make myself.

snowblind56

Reaction score
The bolt on with a plate or without one has nothing to do with playability, nor did I say it did, NOR did I say bolt on necks were inferior to set necks or neck-thrus. My "argument"(opinion) is that I wouldn't pay 8,000 dollars for a guitar with a chrome neck plate, because its not pleasing aesthetically. Not sure how much clearer I can make myself.

So you are saying you would be open to a gold or black neck plate? :scratch:

Personally, I like how Jackson does their neck plates, but I would also not pay $8000 for any guitar.

2013-01-06100422.jpg

kreaturesleeper

Reaction score
Im saying Id prefer countersunk screws over a neck plate, period. If people think a chrome pot metal neck plate looks good on an $8,000 guitar, awesome, they probably like the way single coil pickup rings look too.

jgaul79

Reaction score
Edit: To be fair, I suppose they aren't marketing it to players, it's almost more a museum piece, in which case the price is probably pennies to some investors...

True, but don't most investors look for a ROI? I know he is a great player and all, but I can't see that guitar being worth that even 20 years from now. I could be wrong, maybe this Suhr will be the next Clapton "Blackie" or Eddie's "Frankenstein" guitar and Suhr will produce a couple hundred of them and sell them for $20k each.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Suhrs are truly awesome guitars, I'm absolutely in love with mine, but I would NEVER pay $8K for one regardless of who the prior owner was. :2c: :lol:

')