Guthrie Govan's personal Suhr Standard for sale

• Thread starter WillDfx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
couldnt you just get suhr to build you the same guitar for about half that?

Yep, and as we've pointed out, it'd probably less than even that....:lol:

But it wouldn't have Guthrie's mojo. If that's it's going rate, he should bottle that shit and make a fortune...in lies.

Edit: That was totally off the cuff, I haven't listened to DT in forever...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

F0rte

Wood Whore
Reaction score
I'd rather pay half the price of that guitar and just order from their custom shop.....
LOL.

arkohors

Reaction score
After seeing people trying to sell "previously owned" guitars for 2-3x their worth, I had a revelation. I'm going to get some guitars, take them to shows/ music conventions and have some famous guitarists hold those guitars and strum a few chords. I'll get some pics of those guitarists holding the guitars, and then sell the guitars on ebay as "previously played by *insert guitarist's name*"

That justifies a 1.5-2x value mark up in my book :lol:

kreaturesleeper

Reaction score

Im glad you could bring some substance to the thread. After 12 years of playing guitar, im entitled to an opinion about guitars that aren't worth their price tag. Next time you should read more than 4 posts so you might actually see why someone holds a certain opinion. Seriously though, good post.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know what's more pathetic in this thread, the same "I wouldn't pay blah blah blah" or the beating up on the chap who said he didn't want the guitar for an aesthetic reason. Fucking hell guys, I'm three sheets to the wind and I can still tell you're being dicks. :lol:

How's about we just move on?

Estilo

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm cool with the following:

1) Guitar with no sig or previous ownership = MSRP.
2) Guitar with a signature = MSRP + 20ish Percent (Depending on how often he/she would sign)
3) Guitar owned by said person = MSRP + 50-75 Percent (Depending on likelihood of sale)

But tripling the value simply because he played and owned it? I mean, I dig the guy and think he's one of the best players on the planet, but at what point to you begin to to do him an injustice by trying to make money off of his name...!?

Edit: I did see a guy on eBay trying to sell a signed SE Tremonti for $4,000, so I guess anything's possible with some folks trying to make a quick buck off someone else's prestige.

Edit: To be fair, I suppose they aren't marketing it to players, it's almost more a museum piece, in which case the price is probably pennies to some investors...

:lol: I've seen an MIJ Gibson Nightingale copy supposedly played by Elvis going at $1,000,000 at a guitar store in Melbourne. How you're even going to verify I have no idea.

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
I don't know what's more pathetic in this thread, the same "I wouldn't pay blah blah blah" or the beating up on the chap who said he didn't want the guitar for an aesthetic reason. Fucking hell guys, I'm three sheets to the wind and I can still tell you're being dicks. :lol:

How's about we just move on?

I second this motion....as another guy drinking way too much tonight

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
:lol: 8 grand for a basswood body, bolt-on....!!! Guthrie or not, they have lost the plot. What was it PT Barnum said? Oh well, I suppose people can spend their money however they choose.

clubshred

Reaction score
You know, I have owned my share of Quilted Maple gee-tars and that's pretty much all that's in my arsenal now... that being said, this Guthrie guitar looks like Quilt Maple to me - not Flame Maple. In fact, the dealer sheet photo says "3/16 Quilted Maple Top"... I guess it's just an oversight. But they should make sure the description is correct.

Just my $.02

robertkoa

Reaction score
I dont care who owned it, Im not paying 8 grand for a bolt on neck.

I agree .

8 grand is high for Any guitar but it's even worse when it's a Bolt On.

I have a nice Bolt On now but would prefer set neck or neck through -but hard to find in 25.5 " scale and 22 frets set neck.

The problem when Bolt Ons get VERY expensive is almost anyone can put the CNC
parts together.

So if excellent woods and parts worth 1000 tops,
You are paying an extra 3 to 7 thousand for someone to build it who
does not have /need superior woodworking skills .

So it's preference but too much $ IMO.

Guess if you're a Fan ......of GG.

Personally I don't care who owned other than proven Hendrix for Resale .

guitareben

Reaction score
I could get the same guitar, not second hand, from Suhr themselves for something along the lines of £2500 , no idea what that is in $ but hey. and man... I love Suhrs, and WILL HAVE ONE!!

... so basically that's a lot of money for Guthrie's name ^^ :eek:

')