Guy showing his Wes Lambe 8-string

• Thread starter Desecrated
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very cool. I love that warm tone and those cool jazz chords. This guy is fantastic! :yesway:

jammy

Reaction score

You have to know the song for it to make sense...more of a technical excersize than a "tune" that bit of playing.

Those sections would normally be taken by a pianist's left hand and the bassist in a trio

Here we are chaps. Shame I can't find a video of John playing it, but this is the intro/first solo from the original with a silly animation as a video

Daniel S

Reaction score
no
that guitarist still doesn't play it even close to how it should be played
srry
giant steps=smooth jazz

Mikey D

Reaction score
no
that guitarist still doesn't play it even close to how it should be played
srry
giant steps=smooth jazz

I'm actually that guitarist and as stated I had only been playing 8 string (or normal guitar for a few months) so I didn't expect it to be that good.

You obviously don't mean giant steps=smooth jazz as in the genre...but I still don't get your point.

I would also be more than happy to have somebody, maybe yourself, show me how it should be played.

Eddie Loves You

Reaction score
You obviously don't mean giant steps=smooth jazz as in the genre

I hope not, but you never know when dealing with the "internets"

I would also be more than happy to have somebody, maybe yourself, show me how it should be played.

hahahahaha :yesway:

BTW, My WL should be here next week! I don't know if I'm brave enough to put up a video as soon as you did, though.

jammy

Reaction score
I'm actually that guitarist and as stated I had only been playing 8 string (or normal guitar for a few months) so I didn't expect it to be that good.

You obviously don't mean giant steps=smooth jazz as in the genre...but I still don't get your point.

Ace. Where abouts in the UK are you?

Mikey D

Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually in Birmingham at the moment studying for a jazz degree at the conservatoire.

I've been on this forum for a while, but tend to stay over in the 'jazz section', now I know why...much more constructive comments in there! :)

Eddie, what did you go for in the end wood-wise? I'd like to see it when you get it. I was lucky enough to find a "used" one for a little less than new price, but still had to pay import tax etc...my wes is unfortunately on ebay at the moment as I have to pay for some serious double bass repairs which I need for my studies. But as soon as I have the funds again, I'll definately be buying another WL guitar.

I should also point out that although I have only played guitar for a few months, I have played electric bass for quite a few years previously.

Eddie Loves You

Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually in Birmingham at the moment studying for a jazz degree at the conservatoire.

I've been on this forum for a while, but tend to stay over in the 'jazz section', now I know why...much more constructive comments in there! :)

Eddie, what did you go for in the end wood-wise? I'd like to see it when you get it. I was lucky enough to find a "used" one for a little less than new price, but still had to pay import tax etc...my wes is unfortunately on ebay at the moment as I have to pay for some serious double bass repairs which I need for my studies. But as soon as I have the funds again, I'll definately be buying another WL guitar.

I should also point out that although I have only played guitar for a few months, I have played electric bass for quite a few years previously.

I got a walnut body/maple top, maple neck, macassar ebony FB. I'll definitely post pics! And I'll check out your guitar on eBay too.

Daniel S

Reaction score
it was sarcasm

it needs more energy
you played it like you were lying down in a coffin
is what mean

Mikey D

Reaction score
it was sarcasm

it needs more energy
you played it like you were lying down in a coffin
is what mean

Ah I see...wonderful. Thanks for your comments.

Well, just for you, when I actually get to grips with playing the 8 string [if I haven't sold it anytime soon] (because strangely enough I am just a beginner and as such I really do thank you for your critiscism) I'll post a video of me playing it again.

Until that day, I still look forward to your version so I can learn how to play giant steps 'properly'.

Reaction score
I have a question for yall. Whats the point of fanned frets? What difference does it make compared to regular frets?

royuno

turns it up to 11.
Reaction score
That's some ridiculously amazing playing there sir, on a ridiculously fascinating guitar.

')