Guy showing his Wes Lambe 8-string

• Thread starter Desecrated
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey D

Reaction score
I have a question for yall. Whats the point of fanned frets? What difference does it make compared to regular frets?

to quote ralph novax:

Why Fanned-Fret®?

The "fanning" of the frets results from manipulating the scale length of the bass side of the neck relative to the treble side: the fret spacing is wider for the long scale and closer for the short scale.

Looking inside a grand piano, or at a harp, we see that the string lengths vary with the pitches of the strings. But fretted instruments are traditionally constructed to a single scale length, negating the benefits of scale length relative to pitch. Since there are relatively few strings on most stringed instruments, compromises are made and string gauges are manipulated for workable results. Players, accustomed to the compromises of single scale-length construction, are often pleasantly surprised by the richness and clarity of Fanned-Fret® instruments. When the fanned-fret concept is applied to the six-string guitar, the resulting instrument has a "focused" sound - clear, articulate and balanced. Some players say "more in tune" or "more accurate."

One of the real advantages of the Fanned-Fret® concept lies in its application to instruments like the seven-string guitar, eight-string guitar, five-string bass, six-string bass, baritone guitar, and mandolin. The range of tunings and number of strings force compromises that make these instruments poor performers or even impractical when constructed with the traditional single scale-length. The fanned-fret concept addresses those problems and makes these intruments playable and practical.

Why is Scale Length Important?

Scale Length influences both the tonal quality of the notes produced and the tension of the string at a paticular pitch. The tonal effects of scale length are crucial to the final tone of the instrument. Woods, hardware, and electronics act as "filters" to string tone. They do not produce tone of their own and only modify input from the vibrating string. If paticular harmonics are very strong, or altogether absent, those characteristics will be present in the final tone of the instrument.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel S

Reaction score
critasim can be made with no need of ability
i could just be some wanker with 1 finger and half a foot
however my comment would still be valid

Reaction score
to quote ralph novax:

Why Fanned-Fret®?

The "fanning" of the frets results from manipulating the scale length of the bass side of the neck relative to the treble side: the fret spacing is wider for the long scale and closer for the short scale.

Looking inside a grand piano, or at a harp, we see that the string lengths vary with the pitches of the strings. But fretted instruments are traditionally constructed to a single scale length, negating the benefits of scale length relative to pitch. Since there are relatively few strings on most stringed instruments, compromises are made and string gauges are manipulated for workable results. Players, accustomed to the compromises of single scale-length construction, are often pleasantly surprised by the richness and clarity of Fanned-Fret® instruments. When the fanned-fret concept is applied to the six-string guitar, the resulting instrument has a "focused" sound - clear, articulate and balanced. Some players say "more in tune" or "more accurate."

One of the real advantages of the Fanned-Fret® concept lies in its application to instruments like the seven-string guitar, eight-string guitar, five-string bass, six-string bass, baritone guitar, and mandolin. The range of tunings and number of strings force compromises that make these instruments poor performers or even impractical when constructed with the traditional single scale-length. The fanned-fret concept addresses those problems and makes these intruments playable and practical.

Why is Scale Length Important?

Scale Length influences both the tonal quality of the notes produced and the tension of the string at a paticular pitch. The tonal effects of scale length are crucial to the final tone of the instrument. Woods, hardware, and electronics act as "filters" to string tone. They do not produce tone of their own and only modify input from the vibrating string. If paticular harmonics are very strong, or altogether absent, those characteristics will be present in the final tone of the instrument.

That was a really good explanation, thanks for it!
Bold red: My instructor said something to me about how if you play a certain scale, like Bb Major, some notes won't be EXACTLY on point (like, to the cent) because of the scale length of a guitar. Is this what you are trying to get at, or am I just butchering it?:scratch:

Eddie Loves You

Reaction score
That was a really good explanation, thanks for it!
Bold red: My instructor said something to me about how if you play a certain scale, like Bb Major, some notes won't be EXACTLY on point (like, to the cent) because of the scale length of a guitar. Is this what you are trying to get at, or am I just butchering it?:scratch:

With any tempered instrument (guitar is one, fanned fret or otherwise), hardly any notes in any key are truly in tune.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much only the open strings and octaves will be perfectly in tune on a guitar. It has nothing to do with the scale length though.

')