Guys, how to get this kind of sound?

• Thread starter HollowmanPL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HollowmanPL

Reaction score
Eloo

Maybe you will help me.
I'm trying to nail this kind of bass sound:

I don't know hod to describe this sound. It's like a fuckin' laser or somethin :)
I just have no more ideas how to get this.
It depends on the bass guitar?amp? pickups? playing? distortion (MXR?)?

Cheers guys

Matt

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

knuckle_head

Reaction score
There is more tone than distortion to my ears . . . best way to do this is the distortion of your choice combined with a straight unaffected signal, as distortion has and can rob you of bottom.

I hear no sludge in this. Use higher tension to get to the tuning they're in to keep upper transients intact.

. . . . my $.02

idunno

Reaction score
Thats a good tune. If you wanna hear a laser listen to the plasma rifle! The bass is like a hot knife through butter.

about 26 seconds in its really clear.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
Eloo
It depends on the bass guitar?amp? pickups? playing? distortion (MXR?)?

Yep, all of the above.

My guess is that bassist is playing with new, very bright strings; jumbo frets; and pretty low action; all of which should help you get a sound similar to that on the video. The string brand can make a really big difference. Try to find out what strings that bassist uses. If you can't, I would recommend starting with Rotosounds, they are usually bright and metallic.

And, like you mentioned, the bass, amp, pickups, playing and effects will all make a difference. Your technique will definitely matter, remember to practice as much as possible!

It can take a lot of time and experimentation to discover the tone you want (it took me years). You should also take opportunities to hit up your local music stores and play with their basses and effects to see what gets you closer to the tone(s) you want.

knuckle_head

Reaction score
Higher tension is your friend . . . . if for no other reason than the clarity I hear in your sound sample note for note.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Sounds like someone banging away in D standard with pick on jazz coils. Lot's of pick attack, boosted mids and treble to accentuate the clanky-ness of the sound. I actually saw Exodus on the tour for the album OPs song is from, it was a good gig.

')