Guys with families..your job vs your sanity?mid life crisis

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
You have a family to support. You have 2 choices

1) work at a job that is so stressful and keeps you busy from 8am to 11pm. You barely have time to eat or piss with co workers that makes you want to lose your mind ..your health too. You barely have time for your kids and wife.

Or

2) work as a cashier at a supermarket and keep your sanity and live longer

One pays ok and one barely pays for anything...which do you pick and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Support my family. unless some took a gun to your head and forced you to get married and have kids.

Is this a real thread.

can we talk about tone wood instead.

maybe take your family on vacay b4 buying that Aristides?

Walter W.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I took a job this year that was better but came with a pay cut. I have made up for the pay loss by working a few hours on my off days. Your health and family are more important, where there's a will there's a way.

vejichan

Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys and yes I took my family on a vacation recently and on the fence about going back to the dungeon which I called work. I felt how much I missed out on being with my family during my vacation that i am thinking about taking a pay cut and a different less stressful job.

Descent

Reaction score

1) work at a job that is so stressful and keeps you busy from 8am to 11pm. You barely have time to eat or piss with co workers that makes you want to lose your mind ..your health too. You barely have time for your kids and wife.

Or

One pays ok and one barely pays for anything...which do you pick and why?

Look actively for new employment while going to work at current one. Put your network (friends, family, church, witch coven, etc.) to good use.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Look actively for new employment while going to work at current one. Put your network (friends, family, church, witch coven, etc.) to good use.

This is what I meant to say.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
After way too long I finally cut my hours down to only two days a week. I simply couldn't handle the mental, emotional, and physical stress any longer. In my case I've been blessed with a very supportive wife. She also begged... many times with tears streaming down her face, for me to quit. I couldn't quit altogether and starting over at the bottom rung of another company's ladder wasn't an option but I had to lessen the burden as it was literally eating me alive. As others have said... it is not worth it. Make sure to communicate openly to your wife about your feelings when things are weighing heavily on your mind. Hopefully you can count on her for compassion and understanding.

And above all else... don't piss with coworkers. That doesn't solve anything.

Demiurge

Reaction score

You've posted a lot about your job stresses- are you comfortable saying what you do for work? 15hr days with no break is insane. While the work I do isn't the greatest in terms of work/life balance, I can say that there are "white collar" jobs out there that aren't that brutal.

Exchanger

Reaction score

A very repetitive job with bad posture in a noisy/busy environment and the occasional rude customer. Not what I regard as a job that keeps you sane. I'm sure there is something better than your current situation, but I think you want to stay away from being a cashier (no disprespect towards people who do this, but it just doesn't seem like an enjoyable job)

Adieu

Reaction score
Hi. Yes. I'm a stay-at-home husband and my wife is a stay-at-home wife. We're looking for something with year-round river, lake, ocean, snow, and desert views. Our budget is 7 million.

Wow. That IS a 15 hr/ day job... sounds stressful.

Have you considered murder-suicide?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Hi. Yes. I'm a stay-at-home husband and my wife is a stay-at-home wife. We're looking for something with year-round river, lake, ocean, snow, and desert views. Our budget is 7 million.
:lol:

sleewell

Reaction score
rarely in life are there only 2 choices. i have 4 kids and my wife stays home. i have been at my job for 9 years now. started at the bottom and keep moving up. life is stressfull but i have time in the morning to eat with my kids and i pick them up after school.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
There has to be a middle ground. If not move to where there is. The only way I work until late is because it comes with the territory of being client facing. But it’s also not 24/7.

Everyone has a dollar value their time is worth, sounds like whatever you’re making for 8-11 is not high enough.

So jump ship.

tedtan

Reaction score
Unless you have equity and/or stock options and a short term exit strategy, it's not worth putting in that many hours unless you love everything about what you're doing. And even then it's questionable.

I'm with the group that says start looking for something better, even if it means moving, but keep working until you find it.

Nick

Reaction score
there is a lot in between what you have described there. That looks like CEO schedule vs cashier.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
8am to 11pm? Do it for three years and make plans where invest the five millions you earn. If it's less - think about it. If the salary is significantly less - quit.

Latest posts