Haley Williams: Still a psychopath

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I honestly don't get why we care that much about the inner poop of a pop/rock band with a hot redhead singer.Fame comes with a price no suprise here.Like the fakeness of the rock attitude.Come on..Daddy managing and threating band members?

One question:..Would we devote 4 fucking pages if for example Madder Mortem lost two members of the line-up or her singer was a diva?..Sorry i forgot..She is a chubby raven not a hot redhead..

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
Yes it is easier to play but not easier to write.

So you're really saying that you think it would be less challenging to write a AAL song than a Paramore song?

I get that you are saying it's not as easy as some would make it out to be, but saying it's that much easier is a pretty good stretch...

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don't think there should be a "face" of any band. A band is a band. A group of people. Everyone should get credited equally. Another reason why I hate major labels...

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
So you're really saying that you think it would be less challenging to write a AAL song than a Paramore song?

I get that you are saying it's not as easy as some would make it out to be, but saying it's that much easier is a pretty good stretch...

There is a huge difference between writing something to show off musical chops and writing something that appeals to a really wide range of people both musically and lyrically.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Some of Tosin's riffs and solos are borderline, but I'm pretty sure why Tosin writes what he does has nothing to do with Haley Williams being a psychopath. Despite not knowing anything about Paramore beyond their name I am really not surprised by this since, as has been mentioned before, this seems to happen with a lot of female fronted bands.

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
I seriously doubt Tosin writes the things he does for AAL to 'show off'

Agreed.

I know the styles of writing and the reasons they are written are much different, but I just can't agree that write a pop song that is supposed to appeal a wide range of people is more difficult. You can just tell how much thought goes into more complex songs compared to listening to a popular song that repeats the same exact parts 3 or 4 times in one song.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
To clarify my statement about the beat thing: I write them for shitty Houston rappers. Yes, they are forgettable and formulaic, and none of the songs will win a Grammy, but it's much easier. I only have a basic grasp of music theory and I'm able to come up with tracks exactly like some mindless, D-list pop-rapper would have. Meanwhile, trying to wrap my head around Meshuggah's music literally gives me headaches.

More OT, though, I really hate Paramore, so I'm not sure why I'm defending those dudes. I guess that had I been in their position, I'd be pissed as hell too. There are countless other pop-rock bands just as big or bigger than Paramore that DON'T have Hayley as a vocalist.

Imagine a guy's voice over the tracks, same notes, same lyrics. Would you still like the music?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don't think there should be a "face" of any band. A band is a band. A group of people. Everyone should get credited equally. Another reason why I hate major labels...

Part of the deception is that the label and marketing probably went out of their way to surrepticiously make Hayley the unofficial "face" of the band whilst simultaneously APPEARING to be striving for just the opposite, having the band appear as equals. That way they got the sales that come from having a, ahem, highly boinkable babe for a singer as well as the support from the grassroots indie rock movement, essentially giving them "cred" for seeming as if they were actively trying to maintain their artistic integrity by not appearing as though they were trying to squeeze every dime from their marketability. It's really pretty ingenious and seemed to work quite well until the band members blew the whistle on the whole thing. I don't think any of us would have been the wiser if a member of the band hadn't explicitly stated how the band was *actually* formed.

In essence, they were trying to have their cake and eat it to. And they did. Until mister drummer boy revealed that THE CAKE IS A LIE!

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
That's like me saying "Fuck you, all your music sucks." There's no need to rip on Paramore especially if you've never even listened to them. :noway:

I think Paramore is awesome. If you gave their first 2 CDs a listen, I DARE you to not headbang at some point or another. They are catchy as hell, have EXTREMELY talented songwriting skills given their age, a SOLID powerful pop drummer and really creative melodies. That's why their name and situation is recognized on this forum.

This whole press release from Zac and Josh is totally totally insane. But it all sounds very honest and true. I'll bet its SO hard to maintain a band with a chick singer and still be a "band" and viewed as a band and not "The Hayley Williams Project." That's one of the things I liked about them so much, is Hayley always always said "I will never go solo. Paramore is a band. Everyone is just as important." To me that was refreshing, new, and original. Granted there are *some* bands that can pull this off (Flyleaf, The Cranberries, Joydrop...okay thats about it.) But for a power-pop rock band, it was refreshing.

Paramore is now officially fucked. They are going to spiral downhill REAL quick, and Hayley and her managers and father are probably going to push for her to go solo real soon. It sucks that is had to turn out this way, but as my friend called it 5 months back, "Paramore will never put out another record ever again." They are way too huge now and with all the fame and publicity and pushing and shoving going on with the label, taking full advantage of how young they are, combined with the fact that Hayley got 100% of the attention all the time, someones bound to lose their damn mind and quit.

I really really enjoyed Paramore's first two CD's, and the song "Careful" from their new CD (every other song was meh imo). Not to mention they were SPECTACULAR live, very tight and VERY powerful. I had suspected they were fabricated all along, and now that this is confirmed, it won't change my opinion on the music they put out. Good music is good music, whatever sounds good to my ears, I will enjoy, without any drama in the back of my mind. Too bad they won't be putting out any more music :ugh:

doesn;t your sig say "dont take anything to seriously. its just life."?

dont get your panties in a wad. and its not like saying fuck you your music sucks. its like saying their music was never worth listening to. infact their entire exsistance from the begining was a giant sell out. that is what give music a bad name. chill, parawhore sucks balls. its just life.

MSalonen

Reaction score
Personally, I feel like music is far too subjective to make sweeping generalizations, or to accurately say something "sucks" (or, by the same logic, rocks) beyond one's own opinion.

Also, I would say that you can't fairly judge whether or not a band/artist's music is good (again, to you) without at least giving it a shot first. You may be right, and do in fact not enjoy it. But you might end up finding new music you DO like.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
^^ understandable. my sis is a huge paramore fan. while they don't make me wanna kill myself (like metro station, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake it) i still find their music as influential and original as britany spears and justin bieber.

MSalonen

Reaction score
Fair enough, though the only other thing I want to say on that note is that music doesn't necessarily have to be particularly influential or original to be enjoyable (however, those things obviously help).

For instance, I don't find Steel Panther to be influential or original at all, but find them extremely entertaining.

But hey, we all like different things for any number of various reasons. :)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with you fully on this. While I give them props for starting the band and I do understand their frustration with wanting to be given more credit, at the same time they are too young to understand that this is a job, and they are extremely fortunate to be making millions by playing on stage. They've never had real jobs and don't understand how lucky they were. they'll realize it later, and regret it. Real world's gonna bite them in the ass!

I really don't think any of them are millionaires:lol:
The band signed a 360 deal, and in a 360 deal, you give a percentage of any type of income you make to the label in exchange for the label funding tours, promotion and marketing
There was a video of Hayley's apartment, and while she is definitely living comfortably, unless you've sold records like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, or Madonna or you're Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, you're not going to be rich in this line of work.
There's a video where Hayley shows off her apartment, and while she's definitely living comfortably, it just looks like the home of any middle class person. Doesn't even look like she cracks the 100 grand a year income barrier

I think unless Josh and Zac ever become involved in projects that become big, they'll probably be having to work day jobs fairly soon on the side.

MSalonen

Reaction score
I really don't think any of them are millionaires:lol:
The band signed a 360 deal, and in a 360 deal, you give a percentage of any type of income you make to the label in exchange for the label funding tours, promotion and marketing
There was a video of Hayley's apartment, and while she is definitely living comfortably, unless you've sold records like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, or Madonna or you're Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, you're not going to be rich in this line of work.
There's a video where Hayley shows off her apartment, and while she's definitely living comfortably, it just looks like the home of any middle class person. Doesn't even look like she cracks the 100 grand a year income barrier

I think unless Josh and Zac ever become involved in projects that become big, they'll probably be having to work day jobs fairly soon on the side.

While you're mostly right, it really depends. They've sold more than enough records to be "rich", however, if you consider factors such as those described in this particular situation (the heavy amount of label involvement, as well as that of Hayley's parents/management) that would also play a large part.

Also, the way someone lives outwardly (or is portrayed to), isn't really a good gauge of how much money they may or may not be making.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
While you're mostly right, it really depends. They've sold more than enough records to be "rich", however, if you consider factors such as those described in this particular situation (the heavy amount of label involvement, as well as that of Hayley's parents/management) that would also play a large part.

Also, the way someone lives outwardly (or is portrayed to), isn't really a good gauge of how much money they may or may not be making.

It seems a 360 deal is more geared towards keeping the artist afloat (hence with all the marketing, promotion and tour funding).
What the artist loses in financial reward, they have more "job security" as such because obviously in that situation it's just a lot easier for them to be able to score heaps and heaps of gigs.
Ultimately in today's world, being able to get marketed so well to get that fan base and being more secure is probably worth the fairly significant chunk of income the artists loses as the label gets something from all revenue streams.
Based on what I've read on 360 deals, it just seems like the band would most likely have been earning a decent middle class, above average American wage.
So definitely not rich, but if you're playing music and making more than the average American and not needing a day job you're in a good spot indeed.. Once you get to that level while playing rock music in this day and age, being rich probably isn't really a concern, as long as you're happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')