Half Stack Speaker Questions

• Thread starter hazuken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which speakers for my new 4x12?

• Celestion G12T-75

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Eminence Swamp Thang

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

hazuken

Reaction score
I snagged a Carvin V3 head, and it's matching 4x12 comes with Celestion G12T-75's. I'm not sure how this will work with my 7 string (tuned to Bb standard). I was looking at some Eminence Swamp Thangs, which seem to be a good idea for low end. Should I buy the Carvin 4x12 ($600), or buy an empty 4x12 cab and stick 4 swamp thangs in it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I have two V30s and two C90s (Mesa Black Shadow 90) in my 4x12. Fucking awesome combination, and the best of both worlds: thickness from the V30s, and clarity and low-end punch from the C90s.

irg7620

zombie
Reaction score
The Black Label Electro Voice speakers that Zakk Wylde uses are really good. they have 3 more decibels of response or something like that and sound good. Any speaker that can handle that low of bass or frequency is good. as long as it sounds good to your ears.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Get rid of 2 of those 75's and swap them for V30's. Best speaker combo ever IMO. Trust me, you will be happy! The speakers together cover alot of ground!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
Get rid of 2 of those 75's and swap them for V30's. Best speaker combo ever IMO. Trust me, you will be happy! The speakers together cover alot of ground!

This is the Bogner combination. :yesway:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the Bogner had the Classic Leads in it?

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Get an Avatar or Earcandy cab with a pair of Swamp Thangs. I plan to do the same. That'll go nicely with my G-Flex cab. :agreed:

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
everytime i play my jsx head with a cab with v-30's it sounds reeaallly harsh and ear piercing, but not in a good way. i'm also looking for a new cab, one that can sound like some really chugging mesa-like-crunch, but not getting rid of the beautiful clarity i get with the jsx. any ideas? i was looking at the carvin cabs wit hthe g12T-75's....but i dont know...any ideas??

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
tongueofcolicab said:
everytime i play my jsx head with a cab with v-30's it sounds reeaallly harsh and ear piercing, but not in a good way. i'm also looking for a new cab, one that can sound like some really chugging mesa-like-crunch, but not getting rid of the beautiful clarity i get with the jsx. any ideas? i was looking at the carvin cabs wit hthe g12T-75's....but i dont know...any ideas??

based on what i've read here ... and it's hard to aruge with bogner ... i'd buy 2 g12t'75 and see where that takes me. or even 2 g12t-100's

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
ive got the regular marshall 1960A with GT-75s and i think it works well, IMO by themselves V30s can sound a little harsh but are good if you constanly have trouble hearing yourself in a live mix. however combined like the X patern, or when i put my buddies v30 loaded randall XL cab under the marshall the sound is just perfect. plus with the v30s not being pointed straight at me i don't get as much ear fatigue.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
It really depends on what you play. But if you're more of a riff guy, then I say the Swamp Thangs are pretty sweet speakers.

And the Bogner combo really isn't too shabby either. I've played a few of their cabs and have been very impressed.

Shaman

Reaction score
Swamp Thangs are great speakers. I have a Marshall 2X12" with Swamp Thang's and it kicks ass.

Swamp Thang's are just what the description on eminence.com says. Tight and still bright, so your B doesen't get muddy. They really keep the tone tight even at high volumes.

I totally recommend these speakers. I have had mine for some months now, and I like 'em more every day.

shishin

Reaction score
I have a V3 halfstack and I thought it did well with my sevenstring. I have one available for a lot cheaper if you're interested...

')