Hand coilng pickups? Just a thought, give you opinion

Reaction score
I am sitting here in class and reading on active pups, and I was thinking of my less powerful passives at home, and I read about the coiling, can I add more copper to the coils? I dont know much on the actual wiring of pups, but I have worked in car audio amps and you can add alot more power by bridging and adding in coils, as well as replacing the coils in the speakers with larger coils to increase what the speakers can handle... Can this be done with pickups? Any opinions? The pickups I have now are such shit... Harmonics dont even ring through... Any other pickup I have they do.. Should I just replace them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Adding more wire does not necessarily make the pickup increase in output. It might get a slight increase, but this is hardly linear increase. Your pickup will however lose clarity and darken with more wind on it.

Pickup output is a function of mostly magnet, a part winding. DC resistance is not a proper measure of pickup output in the least bit. Look on the dimarzio site, at he mV ouput vs DC resistance. A lot of higher outputs have more winding, but more winding does not necessarily give a pickup more output.

Better to just replace them.

Reaction score
Adding more wire does not necessarily make the pickup increase in output. It might get a slight increase, but this is hardly linear increase. Your pickup will however lose clarity and darken with more wind on it.

Pickup output is a function of mostly magnet, a part winding. DC resistance is not a proper measure of pickup output in the least bit. Look on the dimarzio site, at he mV ouput vs DC resistance. A lot of higher outputs have more winding, but more winding does not necessarily give a pickup more output.

Better to just replace them.

Awesome man, thanks for the info. I might tryy it on some junk pups on an old Kay I have. It's my experimental guitar. Thanks for the info!

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
the tone of a coil also as a lot to do with the resonant frequency of that coil... since a pickup is essentially an RLC circuit (R from the long length of wire, L is the inductance of the coil and C is the capacitance of the coil) there is a frequency in which the output is a maximum.... the Q factor of this spike is also important, it tells how "high" this spike at the resonant frequency is.

you want very low capacitance, which is why BKPs and lundgrens sound so much better, because they are scatterwound, the coil capacitance is decreased due inconsistant coil layering, thus allowing for more tone to "shine" through.

when winding a coil, youre trying to match the winding resistance with the inductance to create a resonant peak at the frequency you want while keeping the capacitance as low as possible (it will still be there and it must still be taken into consideration).... and for the resonant peak calculation, its a very simple formula that i dont feel like diggin up this second, but PM me if your interested, it wont take me long to find

so no, adding more wire to a pup will not increase output without dramatic sacrifices.... you will most likely make the pup sound much shittier... unless you feel like engineering a whole new coil with your given magnet, your better off just buying new pups

Latest posts

')