Happy NGD to me!!! Agile 930

• Thread starter Trip78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I just got an 8. Don't make me sell it for one of these. :squint:

ProgShredder73

Reaction score
have to admit im really surprised you think the neck pickup sounds warm and buttery. i would have thought a 30" scale would brighten everything a rediculous amount. i might have to buy one of these :)

Trip78

9 String Nube
Reaction score
Originally it wasn't supposed to ship until April, but I ordered it the first day the custom shop opened so I guess it was one of the first ones finished. I've heard some people think the Cepheus pups have no character, but they seem pretty versatile to me. Haven't had a chance to really crank it with the wife underfoot, but they have handled everything I've thrown at 'em so far.

Reaction score
Having character and being versatile are 2 different things, imo. As you said you went from passive to this, being your first active? I don't think any active can compete with the character of a wellmade and balanced passive pickup. that being said, try taming an active in a mix, sooo much fuzz, it is an "active signal" after all. but I jam from EMGs as we speak, can't wait to try a new passive pick getting installed in my friends rga8, we all know how much those stock pups suck...but ya get your wife back to the kitchen and out from underfoot, crank that shit and see what happens....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
And forget about deep bends on that 30" neck. It just ain't happening.

You could just put a lighter set on there and take care of that. All my long scale guitars get a string set equivalent to either a 9 or 10 set at 25.5"

Also, tell me about the trem on the lowest string. Does it slacken that string super fast, compared to the others? I know on an 8 string Kahler when I press the bar down I have to mute the lowest string a bit because it goes slack after pressing the bar just a little, and starts rattling around while I'm still pressing the bar to drop the pitch of the higher string(s).

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Congrats - that is a BEAST!

Surprised to see a 9-string stud mount Kahler Pro on that! How are you liking that one? I'm a huge fan of Kahlers (have owned Hybrid trems and fixed bridges plus a few of the vintage Pros).

Also, tell me about the trem on the lowest string. Does it slacken that string super fast, compared to the others? I know on an 8 string Kahler when I press the bar down I have to mute the lowest string a bit because it goes slack after pressing the bar just a little, and starts rattling around while I'm still pressing the bar to drop the pitch of the higher string(s).
That is an (fixable) issue on all Kahler trems. The only solution I can think of is to raise the saddles a little - this will raise your action but you may find a sweet spot where it's just right. Kahlers are so easy to set up and tweak so it shouldn't stop you from experimenting a little...good luck!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That is an (fixable) issue on all Kahler trems. The only solution I can think of is to raise the saddles a little - this will raise your action but you may find a sweet spot where it's just right. Kahlers are so easy to set up and tweak so it shouldn't stop you from experimenting a little...good luck!

Yeah, there's actually no way to fix the issue without modifying the cam. The problem comes from the string being significantly thicker on the low end than the high end, so when the bar goes down and the cam comes forward you end up with the string thickness (from a vertical standpoint) coming into play, whereas the highest string really only has a linear horizontal vector that it moves along. I've experimented quite a bit with roller height, jacking around the location of the ball in the saddle to see if the high string farther back in the saddle would introduce a similar vector, etc. The only way raising the rollers could eliminate the effect of the cam and string thickness is if they went up so high as to lift the string off the cam completely, which isn't really possible.

A Floyd style fulcrum would avoid this, but on a guitar like this the lowest saddle would be so far back you'd end up with a similar problem as the strings farthest from the fulcrum axis would have the largest radius to the axis, and therefore the most significant drop.

Anyway, I've figured out a couple of work arounds, but it's still an issue that needs to be addressed by an asymmetrical cam, IMO.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Tapered strings! nice. It's too bad Rondo doesn't do that same finish with flame maple.

ockis23

Be Excellent to Each Other
Contributor
Reaction score
Big congrats! That thing is a damn sexy beast:hbang:

Skygoneblue

Frankensteeeeein!
Reaction score
The key to a sexy Agile is a dark fingerboard. I hate those natural/maple colored ones. This is beautiful!

Trip78

9 String Nube
Reaction score
I have not been able to get the arm to screw in (I’ve been so caught up in learning to play on 9 strings I had not done much more than put the bar in and give it a couple half-assed turns and just enough to make sure everything works and stays in tune), so I emailed Kurt and told him the problem. He offered to take the guitar back and see if their shop can fix it, but I don’t want to part with the guitar that long. He said he would have Gary call me. I assumed Gary in his shop or something. Friends, I just got off the phone with the legendary Gary Kahler! Who better to troubleshoot the problem than the man who invented the bridge? He said if my tech can’t fix it, he’ll overnight me a new bridge. I’m a bit verklempt…

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Friends, I just got off the phone with the legendary Gary Kahler! Who better to troubleshoot the problem than the man who invented the bridge? He said if my tech can’t fix it, he’ll overnight me a new bridge. I’m a bit verklempt

Holy Ballsack! I love Gary, all the Kahler vids are just amazing.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I had a 7 string bass, so i can relate to how insane that thing might feel :lol:

I'd say get a .38-.08 set of strings for the first 6. That'll help you out. .85 or .90 for the low C# is what i currently use (though mine is a 6 string at 30" scale tuned to drop C#), and the low f# and B is a matter of preference. i'd say .50 and .65 or something like that.

Latest posts

')