Hardcore Dancing

• Thread starter BoredomKills
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Eh maybe, and perhaps they gain more fans than they lose by promoting violence. But it is the only reason that I do not go to metal shows.

It's frustrating as hell because a simple change would work out at most shows: just move the damn pit to the back and let people who don't want to be a part of it stay in the front. Moshers aren't watching the band anyway, why do they need to be near the stage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
When ever i see a 'new' metal band, i see kids doing that hardcore dancing and it just pisses me off. I saw Anteria once in a local venue and there were these 2 pretty boys and they were doing that hardcore dancing. me and my mates decided to teach them a lesson and ram them. The 2 twats got kicked out XD. But i do hate it and i love it when i go to a gig and the bands front man calls them out.

So simple rule if you see hardcore dancing at a metal gig and you want to do something about it just ram them till they stop. :p

JoeyW

Reaction score
So you would rather get hit in the face than get pushed? You, sir, are an odd one.

That's what I'm saying though, I think there's some confusion on the difference between hardcore dancing and hate mosh.

JoeyW

Reaction score
Hate mosh?

Now we are making shit up.

Noooo it's an actual thing haha. Like I said, Hardcore is pretty huge out here so everyone and their grandmother listens to Terror on a regular.
The main difference I see is that hate mosh is kind of the more violent/kill each other kind of mosh where hardcore dancing everyone seems to respect everyone else's space.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ What's with the gigging in rainmacs thing in hardcore? I'm seeing that more and more often

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
I went to Mayhemfest a few weeks ago, and there were no pits for Slayer. But there were a bunch of hardcore dancers. I mean the stupid ones too, who don't even do it for the music. They were "dancing" to Dead Skin Mask, the intros to South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss, etc. They even "danced" to Motorhead's Ace of Spades. I'm losing faith in humanity.

Djdnxgdj3983jrjd8udb3bcns

Reaction score
Hardcore dances irritate me no end. I appreciate that they might be doing "their thing" but frankly it's asking for trouble. In a push/circle pit sort of situation everyone expects their personal space to be thoroughly invaded and it's all part of the show. Hardcore dancers seem to expect everyone to get out of their way so they can imitate a ragdoll being violently bludgeoned from every direction. Obviously, try to avoid the general area if you don't want to be involved, but if these kids want to take up half then venue then it makes life difficult for everyone else.

And the funniest thing I've seen at a gig is a group of my friends doing the macarena in the centre of a pit at Sepultura :'D

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
ITT: People who've never had anyone hardcore dance to their bands complaining about how much it sucks.

I don't do it personally, but I have a few friends that do and mostly everybody in the Savannah area isn't a total prick about it, they help each other up, they don't try to hit people, etc. Really it's when people try to push mosh is when it gets out of hand.

When ever i see a 'new' metal band, i see kids doing that hardcore dancing and it just pisses me off. I saw Anteria once in a local venue and there were these 2 pretty boys and they were doing that hardcore dancing. me and my mates decided to teach them a lesson and ram them. The 2 twats got kicked out XD. But i do hate it and i love it when i go to a gig and the bands front man calls them out.

So simple rule if you see hardcore dancing at a metal gig and you want to do something about it just ram them till they stop. :p

BRTky.jpg

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
ITT: People who've never had anyone hardcore dance to their bands complaining about how much it sucks.

I don't do it personally, but I have a few friends that do and mostly everybody in the Savannah area isn't a total prick about it, they help each other up, they don't try to hit people, etc. Really it's when people try to push mosh is when it gets out of hand.

wow the few hours difference between us is a huge difference in kids at shows. in Columbus, i went to my friends' bands show, and was right up by the stage taking pictures, and a 6'6" dude straight up punched me as hard as he could in the side of the head, knocked me silly for a good 10 minutes. most of the kids here run around knocking the crap out of people without care for who gets hurt. at the venue i work with, we are talking about having a policy that if you are hardcore dancing and continuously hit bystanders, u will be asked to leave.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
wow the few hours difference between us is a huge difference in kids at shows. in Columbus, i went to my friends' bands show, and was right up by the stage taking pictures, and a 6'6" dude straight up punched me as hard as he could in the side of the head, knocked me silly for a good 10 minutes. most of the kids here run around knocking the crap out of people without care for who gets hurt. at the venue i work with, we are talking about having a policy that if you are hardcore dancing and continuously hit bystanders, u will be asked to leave.

Well that's how it should be. If you're being a prick, you need to GTFO. And there's the occasional asshole at the shows here, but for the most part it's usually pretty friendly.

Just, the elitism in this thread is lolworthy to me.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
Fuck being asked to leave. Your thrown out, bouncers pick you up, and hurl you onto cement.

flint757

Reaction score
I love it on both sides when people disagree they are either called stupid or elitists and that doesn't even pertain to just this subject matter. Movies, music, concerts, politics, whatever...

I've been to concerts where moshing breaks out in the middle and I've been to concerts where moshing takes up most of the venue. Kind of hard to just get out of the way. That being said I don't do hardcore so I've never encountered any hxc dancing.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of the South Park episode where everybody hates the pan-flute bands, but when they leave town they are overrun with..

images

Trade "pan-flute players" with "hardcore dancers" and "giant hamsters" for

images

Reaction score
That is bullshit. You're going to a fucking concert - a live display of musicianship, not some fucking dance-off. I expect to be able to watch musicians play without having to be on my guard the whole fucking time from idiots who are not even watching the show.

You can dance/fight/push wherever the fuck you want, I can only pay close attention to the musicians if I am close to the stage. Therefore you need to stay the hell away from the stage.

BRO, it's life. You just have to deal with it or leave. Don't know what else to tell you. I don't dance anymore either. I just watch the show, which I agree is the primary reason anyone should be there. No one is going to cater to your every need at a show and prevent you from being hit or keep the dancers from your view. All of us who want to see the show will use our best judgement to find a good location and stay alert. Some venues even have upstair bars and balconies to watch the show from. Be resourceful.

Go to a hardcore show; get hit.

Go to a thrash show; get pushed (and push moshing isn't exactly safe and harm-free)

Go to a hip hop show; get shot or plain ol' beat the fuck up.

Go to a black metal show; have your blood drank.

Go to a dupstep show; accidentally make out with a dude.

That's just the way things are, man. I agree, any type of pit rough housing shoould be done away from the crowd or front. I also agree that alot of those hardcore kids are dicks but you have learn to live with it. Adapt and man up, just like the rest of us.

You don't have to like it but you have to deal with it, bud. I'm sorry.

We all come from different inlfuences and backgrounds which makes our preferences different. Which I find to be awesome. I used to push mosh, too. When I was 14 and listened to BTBAM and Ed Gein and stuff. So, we are similar, you and I. haha

I grew up listening to hip hop and punk as a kid, fought alot, and always lived in the hood. So when I got into deathcore and metalcore with breakdowns and stuff, pits and stuff all seemed pretty normal. Doesn't mean I like hurting people.

If you grew up listening to classic rock, lived in a small quiet town, and evetually got into heavier music, perhaps pits and dancing came across as totally unthinkable. Doesn't mean you're a weirdo, just means you like to take it easy which is a-okay to me.

NOT bashing classic rock by the way, I love listening to some old jams. This is just a disclaimer to those who are easily offended.

Alot of hardcore kids I knew were raised in very tough predicaments and and had it worse than me so heavy music and pits were an escape. Alot of dudes whom I knew that hated that stuff(which is totally fine. Not bashing anyone) grew up a little easier. Not saying this is always the case, but just think before you judge, dude.

Basically, we're all agreeing that no one should be hurt unecessarily but anti-dance guys, keep it real. It's here to stay. Nothing we can do.

*shrugs*

This is a very sensitive forum so I just want everyone to know that I do not mean to offend anyone or piss anyone off. I am simply putting forth my opinion on a public social site. lol

Reaction score
I won't lie; seeing people do any sort of movement to my set, which includes hardcore dancing, gets me excited.
That's about the only upside.

I respect the people that dance and respect others while doing so. there's nothing wrong with a good time. However here in Ft. Wayne Indiana there are these so-called "crews" that have been mentioned before and it's absolute BS. I've never heard of a push mosh "crew" though, surprise?

I'll give a few examples from some shows I've played/attended where hxc dancers ruined the show for me/others.

Whitechapel in 2010: There were multiple push mosh pits and two wall of deaths the whole show. no one was hurt. But when the local deathcore band hit the stage and the hardcore dancers came out, a dude spin-kicked someone, who retaliated by breaking his nose, curbstomping him and sending him to the hospital.

Within the Ruins in 2011: There's this one douchebag I see at EVERY big metal show here, one of the ones who always does some stupid spin, drops his hat, picks it up, and repeats. My group of friends and I were standing LITERALLY at the very back. This guy, after kicking some girl and getting into it with her bf, kicks my brother in the fucking chest. He is my little brother and needless to say I am pissed. He comes back a few minutes later and about does it to me, but I push him, we death stare each other for a while, and he leaves us alone for the rest of the show. I however am warned that he is one of the top members in this fucking "crew" by some guy who also did not like the douchebag.

Winds of Plague 2011: During a local Deathcore band's set of course, they have a chant and all the faggots in the crew go up to the people minding their own business and jump on their shoulders and yell the chant. Me and my friend Jason were among those people in the front. So when one of the same guys comes back and kicks him, he pushes him back to the ground (he's a pretty strong guy). And then he gets punched in the head by multiple crew members and I have to pull three or four guys off of him... I am a pretty scrawny guy too. We are then watched the rest of the show, which especially sucked because we played a few bands after this and all the guys were giving us nice little stares which we played.

JL/Contortionist 2012: Most recently was a show outside of Fort Wayne but almost as bad, up in Portage in a shitty venue that was actually a fucking bowling alley. We played and then during Chimp Spanner's set the promoter's nephew was singling out my vocalist's brother, repeatedly kicking him. The kid has fucking Epilepsy so once he finally kicked the little fat kid back and he flipped our friend off, our group of about 20 people flipped him off and he went crying to his gigantic brother, who was about 6'9'' and a good 350 pounds, who doesn't confront our friend that actually kicked his brother but of course goes for the biggest guy in our group. Nothing violent happened but we were warned that if it happened again we wouldn't play with the promoter again; I don't care though because the promoters were assholes and were the same ones who SUPPORTED that shit local band KING that set fire at The Contortionist's Lansing show.

But yeah. Just my negative experience with hardcore dancers. There's a few more but shit I've been typing for a while.

Last edited:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
So bscly ITT: All hardcore dancers = heartless tough guy assholes that cause nothing but trouble. How could I have been so blind.

Reaction score
So bscly ITT: All hardcore dancers = heartless tough guy assholes that cause nothing but trouble. How could I have been so blind.

No way. Some of my friends from other bands or whatnot hardcore dance and they're great guys. Just the majority (at least around here) have no respect whatsoever.

')