Hardest solo?

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the singer from Dark Fortress actually did this solo, if I'm not mistaken.

yup
you can check out some of his other guitar work with his band Noneuclid.

As for difficult solos:

Daniele Gottardo's 'Scarecrow's Dance' is brutal tough, even for guys that spend all day doing 8-finger tapping runs and licks

and Derek Taylor - 'Children That Hate Toys'
First guitar solo is really difficult

Workhorse

Reaction score
Some of Michael Angelo Batio's songs have some pretty intense solos, like No Boundaries.

Intense is an understatement, more like insane. He has a handful of good musical pieces, but the dude is a great picker and can sweep like its no ones business.

Experimorph

Reaction score
I can't play them nor have I even tried it, but Guthrie's solos, such as Fives, are pretty intense.

Someone pointed it out already: I find many fusion players' solos are way up there in comparison to more basic metal shredding.

bnosam

Ibanez Player
Reaction score
Intense is an understatement, more like insane. He has a handful of good musical pieces, but the dude is a great picker and can sweep like its no ones business.

If only he could learn to be a bit more tasteful wit the rest of his music, and less shreddy, he would be an even more amazing musician.

His sweeping is insane though.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

(Eve of Seduction)

Ah, good find - I had never heard that song before, and I can't help but feel like the intros here are heavily borrowed from it:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Interesting how many people would put Fermented Offal Discharge as one of the hardest solos. I thought the same when I first heard it but with anything enough persistence and you can learn it.

For me the hardest solos I've tried to learn our from guitarists who have a certain mojo that is nearly impossible to imitate like Guthrie Govan and Andre Olbrich(Blind Guardian).

jimwratt

Reaction score
I never fully understood the fixation on learning note for note solos. It's kind of a "shred" thing to do, but it was always more interesting to me to learn what they're doing in the solo then figure out how to apply it to my own ideas. A lot of what makes a solo hard to learn/play are the personal touches and idiosyncrasies of the player at hand. If you want to get into that, I get it, but I always wondered why people would have a problem with someone doing a cover of a shred song but with their own solo.

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
I'm trying to lean the Nightmare solo (Synyster Gates) and I'll admit, it's easier than it seems but harder than I'd like.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I find I can play most of Dimebag Darrell's or EVH's stuff more or less accurately. It's more or less in line with the way I like to play, so it's like we speak the same language.

I can play some of Marty Friedman's solos too: Rust in Peace or Countdown to Extinction stuff.

Anything above that (and there's plenty nowadays), I don't think so. I really like modern death metal, djent, etc., but I could only play some bits of that kind of music.

Jazz or fusion is kind of alien to me. Sometimes it's not that it's technically difficult to play, but that it's almost another language. Learned some of Django Reindhardt's music, and its "feeling" is hard to replicate.

I'm tempted to learn something from Psycroptic, but I'm sure I'll fail (and learn something in the process).

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I used to be able to play all of Sequoia Throne by Protest the Hero. That whole song is a fuggin guitar solo. The legato bridge is actually harder than the sweeps at the end.
There was a time I could also play The River Dragon Has Come by Nevermore
The Aftermath by Origin
Akeldama and The Ancient Covenant by the Faceless
Selkies by BTBAM
but that was long, long ago...
I can still play parts of all of those pretty sloppily :lol:

Rosal76

Reaction score
I'm tempted to learn something from Psycroptic, but I'm sure I'll fail (and learn something in the process).

I have learned a few of their riffs in the past and some of it was difficult for me. They have released 5 guitar tablature books all tabbed out by Joe Haley so the notes are correct. I really want to spend more time covering Psycroptic songs (I have 4 of the 5 books they released) but the Necrophagist and Obscura songs that I'm covering takes up a lot of time.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool necrobump for once!

I don't think I've ever played any solo with 100% accuracy. The closest might be a Matchbox 20 song that just had one note played over and over in an eighth note rhythm for four measures. I've attempted to learn some frightening things from Ron Jarzombek or Buckethead, but at such a low accuracy that it's probably not worth counting. Everything in between is, well, in between. So I guess I don't know how to answer the question the OP had.

One of the most mind-boggling things I've attempted was "Stick Pit" by Buckethead. I love the techniques used on the main guitar riffs. The A part is an open string let to ring out whilst an adjacent string plays a half step lower and quickly hammers-on to another note a half step higher than the ringing note, which makes a cool dissonance. The B part has some nifty pinky stretches. But the coolest technique is in the C part of the main riff, where you palm mute from the fifth string down to the second and pick an arpeggio whilst your left hand pinky taps on a bass note on the offbeat sixteenth notes...

Then the solo starts really slowly with a fixed left hand position but some really awkward pick timing and before long bursts into a frenzy of two finger right hand tapping pseudo-twelve-tone-serial nonsense. You can fake it pretty easily for anyone who doesn't play or isn't intimately familiar with the song and probably get a pass on that part if you know the technique but don't pay attention to the specific notes in the flurry, but that's not really any fun, right? :rofl:

Then, there's the polar opposite of trying to learn Django Reinhardt solos, where it's easy to get the notes right with some patience, but nailing the phrasing and the intricate details is so much more important to make it believable. So, on paper, it looks easy compared to modern shredders, but in practice, it's nearly impossible to channel the original performance in a meaningful way.

And then everything in between is, well, still, in between.

On second thought, I might have been boffing that Matchbox 20 solo much worse than I ever thought I was...

Rosal76

Reaction score
^

Damn!!! I'm gonna have to hear and see Buckethead play that song. I'm gonna try and find if there's a Youtube video of him playing it live.

InHiding

Reaction score
I would say some Shawn Lane stuff sounds the hardest I've ever heard to the point where he is so fast and otherwise using a peculiar style that's it almost like it's not a guitar anymore. So fast it sounds slow in a way... I won't ever bother trying anything like that ever I think. Not a huge Shawn Lane listener even though I have respect for the guy so I'm not able to point to a particular song.

')