Harley Benton 8 String Jazzmaster - Andrew Baena Sig

• Thread starter lattjeful
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
I kind of understand all the critics, but hey it is a 8 string that is NOT a super strat.....
Variation is a good thing, also a little color in life is nice!

I will most likely not buy it because
1) I have fur sure no need for a other 8 string
2) Buying it feels like waste to me, there is enough cheaply produced stuff in the world, I try to contribute less to that

But ultimately I'm glad this abomination exists, for some reason those weird guitar-like instruments with 6 strings come in many more varieties than the real 8-string deal.... time to strike back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
I'm definitely intrigued by this, seafoam green aside. Keeping it simple seems like a good approach for keeping the price:quality ratio in the right place.

But only if it's available in something that's not sfg 😒

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
This is great for Andrew and his brand, but for me there is nothing to get excited about a signature model that will probably be made of firewood and shitty parts, at the expense of exploited workers to keep costs low. I'm very cynical about these extreme low budget guitars.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is great for Andrew and his brand, but for me there is nothing to get excited about a signature model that will probably be made of firewood and shitty parts, at the expense of exploited workers to keep costs low. I'm very cynical about these extreme low budget guitars.
Yet for some people it's the only option to enjoy guitar, and used market isn't really a thing in every part of the world.

Having owned and still own plenty of HB guitars - once you get it set up and correct the issues with electronics/hardware (if present) it's far from firewood. But that's just my opinion..

electric

Reaction score
I don't know and don't care who this guy is, probably another YT solo "artist" cringelord, but HEY, if that means HB puts out better instruments while keeping the price down, all the better. That annoying Agufish guy apparently had some contribution in the creation of the HB Amarok and the result is pretty good, absolutely unbeatable in that price. You wouldn't belive how much enjoyment that one brought me. Of course it needed work, but i enjoy tweaking and modding them anyway.

Regarding the instrument: looks decent, hate the green, kind of like the reddish/natural and i can see it as a good mod platfrom. The HB baritones are decent enough, but the bodies are all soft woods and the QC is hit-of-miss. I assume they are going to use more decent woods on this one, and all their roasted necks are pretty solid already. The Jazzmaster shape is not that bad, and from the IG pictures the body seems kind of thick. Hate all you want, but some their higher-end series models are very nice.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Also should I know who this guy is?
YouTuber who does gear demos and reviews. He's also got a band, but his primary notoriety is YouTuber. It's such a weird space at this point. I mean, I like Baena, and I know signature guitars have always gone out to people for the primary reason of expanding the guitar brand's reach, but it seems so overt now that brands are REALLY doing this purely for the money. It's like anyone with a follower count on socials who also happens to play some guitar gets a signature from someone.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Andrew is one of the few youtubers I do like, as well as his band Carcosa. He seems the most regular to me and not like most other obnoxious youtubers, thankfully.

That said, I'd never buy this guitar. I don't like Jazzmasters at all and non Fender ones are even worse when they tweak the body shape. The lower "horn" on this is dogshit lol

Last edited:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Looks ridiculous to me but gotta respect that they're offering something different

And I don't really agree that HBs are firewood, they used to be in the past but they've gotten better. I have a HSH Fusion with the roasted maple neck and if you upgrade the electronics and pickups then you've got a lot of guitar for little money.

Biggest problem for me is the baseball bat necks, I wonder if they're offering a different neck shape for their sig artists.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Andrew is one of the few youtubers I do like, as well as his band Carcosa. He seems the most regular to me and not like most other obnoxious youtubers, thankfully.

That said, I'd never buy this guitar. I don't like Jazzmaster at all and non Fender ones are even worse when they tweak the body shape. The lower "horn" on this is dogshit lol

You ever watch James Grealish (Chilled Guitar Reviews)? He's my favorite on youtube. As normal as it gets in terms of personality and his videos are pretty relaxing.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
This is the guy who did all of the DOOM covers, right?
This is the guy who still can’t hold a guitar pick correctly and has been dragged by the online guitar community at large for it.

I still don't fully understand why the chugga-chugga guys don't just use baritones (except when they play Meshuggah covers). This guitar would look 1000% better as a baritone.
“But… but… my perceived dick size, bruh…”

Today's Harley Benton buyers are the smug sevenstring users of the future. Before you know it they'll be all growed up and arguing about J.Customs and ESP's.
Wait until they bring back Sevenstring’s favorite old phrase like 5-10 years in the future.

When in doubt…

…just buy a used Prestige.

Latest posts

')