Harley Benton Amaroks! - New Chapman esque range!

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I emailed them to ask if a 7 string version of that baritone 6 is something maybe coming in the future. Also if they would consider showing off those body carves with some nice solid metallic colors instead of the typical veneers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shiyu

Reaction score
I am actually really interested in grabbing one of those to check them out. They tick almost all the boxes in my "what i need for a 6" checklist but at that pricepoint, not really being able to correct an issue with a quick neckshim or a quick fretjob (or can you... never tried on stainless) is a bit of a gamble. And also because at similar pricepoints, Agile were always a let down in terms of neck build quality. So I'm torn between that and spending the same amount of money in the used market.

I guess that's what return policies are for heh...

That's my concern as well. The Fusion IIs were cheap enough that buying one wouldn't be much of a risk. These are a significant step up in price. That said, there happens to be a B-stock Amarok on Thomann right now in the color I want...

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
That's my concern as well. The Fusion IIs were cheap enough that buying one wouldn't be much of a risk. These are a significant step up in price. That said, there happens to be a B-stock Amarok on Thomann right now in the color I want...

If you are EU based, their return policy is second to none. It's litteraly zero risk and I am not typing that to convince myself :p

shiyu

Reaction score
If you are EU based, their return policy is second to none. It's litteraly zero risk and I am not typing that to convince myself :p

Do it! I'm in the US so unfortunately I don't imagine a return would be worth it in my case, if even possible. I doubt I'll ever get to try one out in person, either.

lewis

Reaction score
anyone else hoping they blend the Amarok and Dullahan models together to create some hybrids?

I mean a fan fret, neck through, Headless model with SS frets and those EMG Retroactives in 6, 7 and 8 string with different finishes - and I buy one of each.

lewis

Reaction score
If only they made a les paul shape with these specs...
I think they will!

They had Fan Fret LEs Paul shapes before. Makes sense to keep this range name and start adding different shapes with the same specs under it

I play music

Reaction score
If only they made a les paul shape with these specs...
I think they made a limited edition high spec one but it's already sold out. And when I was looking at the Amaroks right now, the baritone was also not shown as available any more. Might have also sold out already or don't know what availability "on request" means.

AlexJPA

Reaction score
Do they look like we could swap the pickups with Fishman fluence without routing the pickup cavity?

lewis

Reaction score
Do they look like we could swap the pickups with Fishman fluence without routing the pickup cavity?

I dont think so. Not unless you want the Open Coil fishmans.

Keith merrow etc etc

JazzS

Reaction score
upload_2020-4-25_12-1-59.png upload_2020-4-25_12-5-5.png upload_2020-4-25_12-5-27.png
Comparing pickup diagrams the size difference isn't massive between the EMG's and the fishmans, so it might be doable. Might be worth asking the harley benton instagram if they have any measurements of the route.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I am actually really interested in grabbing one of those to check them out. They tick almost all the boxes in my "what i need for a 6" checklist but at that pricepoint, not really being able to correct an issue with a quick neckshim or a quick fretjob (or can you... never tried on stainless) is a bit of a gamble. And also because at similar pricepoints, Agile were always a let down in terms of neck build quality. So I'm torn between that and spending the same amount of money in the used market.

I guess that's what return policies are for heh...

Thats a great point and what has kept me away from these.

If you buy a new guitar, it almost always benefits from a quick level and minor crown. These chinese guitars don't have the greatest fretwork. New guitars always change the most in the first two years. If the frets are stainless, your only options are expensive. Do you really want to plek a $300 guitar? It would double the price if you had to ship it.

lewis

Reaction score

If you buy a new guitar, it almost always benefits from a quick level and minor crown. These chinese guitars don't have the greatest fretwork. New guitars always change the most in the first two years. If the frets are stainless, your only options are expensive. Do you really want to plek a $300 guitar? It would double the price if you had to ship it.
on Plek, Im sure I remember seeing Thomann offer that themselves.

I wonder if you approached them and sounded them about about PLEK'ing an order before they ship it to you, you could get a better deal on it?

like bartering.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
on Plek, Im sure I remember seeing Thomann offer that themselves.

I wonder if you approached them and sounded them about about PLEK'ing an order before they ship it to you, you could get a better deal on it?

like bartering.

I wouldn't want to plek it in the first two years. The neck will settle in and probably need another plek in two years.

When I buy a cheap guitar or a used one from ebay, I just level it myself. I can get about 90% of the way there (compared to plek) if there arent any major problems.

If the guitar has SS frets, I can't do that.

If the frets wear down to the point of needing a refret.. would usually take 5-7 years. I'd rather pay the $300 down the line if I decide to keep it, than the $250 up front for a plek job.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score

Just pointing out that they seem to be made in Indonesia (which doesn't take away from your post, but in my experience MiI >> MiC)

Last edited:

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Just pointing out that they seem to be made in Indonesia (which doesn't take away from your post, but in my experience MiI >> MiC)

I like them, but I have the tools/time to level normal frets.

Leveling frets actually goes very fast, what takes all the time is crowning the frets. Even just crowning jumbo nickel frets takes a ton of time, I can't imagine how much time would be required for SS jumbo frets. Probably 2-4x as much effort and requires better tools.

I would hate to start the job then find out my files have dulled and aren't cutting the frets anymore. Or have to buy super expensive files. My ebay diamond file set cost $10 and I've done 6 or 7 guitars with them.

CptnBps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really shouldn't be tempted... but I really am.
Since I got my Jericho Edge baritone, I've been on the lookout for another. The shape of the Edge just doesn't suit me (Les Pauls don't either), but it feels great, so a more stratty shaped entry level bari with those specs? Verrry interested.

')