Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cabinet

LMak

Reaction score
I have never heard of this brand or this cabinet and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? It looks alright and I can't see why it would sound bad when it has Celestion Vintage 30s.

Here's the specs if anyone is interested.

-2x12 Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers
-120W/8 Ohms and 2x 60W/16 Ohms
-Switchable Mono/Stereo
-16mm Plywood
-Black Tolex trim strip

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I've never had experience with Harley Benton cabs... of course I live across the pond, and they don't stock those here, afaik...

But a few of my friends on the other side of the world have used them and are fine with them..

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Street word on those is: "not the best but awesome for the money". Never owned one myself but quite a bit of people seem to agree on this. If you're looking for a V30 stereo 2x12 and aren't dead set on getting "brand X" or "tone Y" and are on a budget, go for it.

(Harley Benton is the in-house brand of Thomann, if you wonder)

LMak

Reaction score
I've never had experience with Harley Benton cabs... of course I live across the pond, and they don't stock those here, afaik...

But a few of my friends on the other side of the world have used them and are fine with them..

I'm always a bit worried when it comes to cabs. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to sound from them and what makes some cabs better than others. Especially with the massive price differences between the Beruga and Harley Benton compared to Orange and even Marshall.

LMak

Reaction score
Thanks Andromalia. I'm not dead set on a tone or on brand, I want to be left open for other genres and if I manage to popularise a relatively unknown amp make, all the better.

I did find it on the Thomann website. Makes so much sense now!

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I own one.
I know the low price tag may raise some eyebrows but let me reassure you it's a very good cab, sound-wise i like it a lot better than other (much more expensive) cabs i tried prior to purchasing it, as far as construction quality i had no problems with it so far, and i used it for several rehearsals and shows.

It's also quite light which is very important for me, i only weight 60kg but it's light enough that i can carry it around by myself.

I also read a ton of reviews before going for it and i'm certainly not the only one extremely satisfied with this cab. :yesway:

Demeyes

Reaction score
I have one, it's actually a decent cab. I have 3 other cabs in my house, 2 marshalls and a Laney and the HB sounds as good as the rest. It's a little bit lighter construction wise but it will stand upto being thrown around with other gear without breaking. My one gets used on recording a good bit as my friends use it as a house cab when they record bands and people are usually happy with the sound from it.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
They aren't great, but quite similar to the Framus CS212 - there's one of those on eBay uk for £100, I'd go for that.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
I own one.
I know the low price tag may raise some eyebrows but let me reassure you it's a very good cab, sound-wise i like it a lot better than other (much more expensive) cabs i tried prior to purchasing it, as far as construction quality i had no problems with it so far, and i used it for several rehearsals and shows.

It's also quite light which is very important for me, i only weight 60kg but it's light enough that i can carry it around by myself.

I also read a ton of reviews before going for it and i'm certainly not the only one extremely satisfied with this cab. :yesway:

this.

And Ola Englund managed to get quite a nice tone out of them... let's just hope that it's not ALL post processing. :hbang:

ToniS

Chool Whhhip
Reaction score
^^Ola uses little to no post-eq on his guitar tracks, so what you hear is basically straight from the mic :)

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
^^^^^ yeah, i know but somewhere around here someone said and others kind of confirmed that he used some post-processing, now sure about it, though....

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
Post-processing or no, the fact that both his Harley Benton and his Mesa 2x12 sound very similar is obviously good for the HB, considering how great Mesa cabs are :hbang:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
If you close mike a speaker, it doesn't really matter what cab's it in, you're mostly hearing the speakers - which are the same.

Don't go on YouTube vids dude, seriously.

LMak

Reaction score
They aren't great, but quite similar to the Framus CS212 - there's one of those on eBay uk for £100, I'd go for that.

Thanks for that tip off :yesway:

I'll wait until it's nearly finished and then I'll take a bid

Arterial

Dreamer
Reaction score
I think they're pretty good cabs.

For the price of course, the price barely covers the V30s that are in them.

Mind you that for obvious reasons, they won't be as good as a Mesa 2x12 or an Orange 2x12 =P

LMak

Reaction score
this.

And Ola Englund managed to get quite a nice tone out of them... let's just hope that it's not ALL post processing. :hbang:

This was more than helpful. It's actually a Powerball I was going to be running through the cab and hearing the Blackmore through it, it sounds awesome.

Zenerith

Reaction score
I happen to own that cabinet and i think it's great quality for the money. Sure there are better ones out there but it's more than good enough for me, i'm going to run my axe-fx II through it once i get my hands on that cursed machine :D

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
it's great quality for the money - that's right - but the CV30's are made in china, and thats WHY this cab is so cheap. But it still sounds really nice :) Its better than all other cabs with 'no-name' speakers like bugera.

The only V30's not made in China are those in Mesa Cabs.

Every other V30 cab (no exception) has Chinese made V30's and has done for about 5 or 6 years now.

Yes, that 'every' includes Orange, Diezel, Bogner, Marshall, you name it.

LMak

Reaction score
The only V30's not made in China are those in Mesa Cabs.

Every other V30 cab (no exception) has Chinese made V30's and has done for about 5 or 6 years now.

Yes, that 'every' includes Orange, Diezel, Bogner, Marshall, you name it.

Does that mean Orange and Diezel may be taking the piss slightly with their high price? Paying for the brand not for the quality of the cab?