Harley Benton Headless Prototypes

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to belabor my usual arguments, but this is less headless and more 1/4-headed guitar with bridge mounted tuners.

I'm all for workarounds to just cutting the butt off the guitar off but I think one semi-non-negotiable thing about being headless is size/weight, and this thing isn't substantially smaller or (I'm assuming) lighter and the not-a-headstock thing is embellished beyond just being big enough to fit the headpiece.

Guy in the video said it was designed by someone that's not into headless guitar for people that aren't into headless guitars and that comes across quite clearly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Not to belabor my usual arguments, but this is less headless and more 1/4-headed guitar with bridge mounted tuners.

I'm all for workarounds to just cutting the butt off the guitar off but I think one semi-non-negotiable thing about being headless is size/weight, and this thing isn't substantially smaller or (I'm assuming) lighter and the not-a-headstock thing is embellished beyond just being big enough to fit the headpiece.

Guy in the video said it was designed by someone that's not into headless guitar for people that aren't into headless guitars and that comes across quite clearly.

and let's all agree that headless guitars with junk in the trunk behind the tuners are always bad and should be outlawed.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I keep seeing the "headless guitars that aren't uncompromisingly-ergonomically-designed shouldn't exist" argument, and it seems so bizarre to me.

A new car comes out that has more power. Is it a "waste" if they also didn't make it lighter? Sure, they could remove the stereo, door handles, switch from steel to aluminum and magnesium, use a plexiglass windshield with just one wiper, stickers instead of headlights, and use non-adjustable carbon fiber seat shells...but why isn't having a car with more power just a worthwhile step? And why is having a guitar that's 2lbs lighter and is missing 6-7" of eye-poking and wall-dinging and weighty headstock not still worthwhile?

Even if they still have some "junk in the trunk", it's still almost always smaller than a "normal" guitar.

R3nG1kV.gif

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Eh... changed my mind... I'm looking for a budget headless and in this case, I think I'd rather go for the NK.

So... Agufish designed this?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I keep seeing the "headless guitars that aren't uncompromisingly-ergonomically-designed shouldn't exist" argument, and it seems so bizarre to me.

A new car comes out that has more power. Is it a "waste" if they also didn't make it lighter? Sure, they could remove the stereo, door handles, switch from steel to aluminum and magnesium, use a plexiglass windshield with just one wiper, stickers instead of headlights, and use non-adjustable carbon fiber seat shells...but why isn't having a car with more power just a worthwhile step? And why is having a guitar that's 2lbs lighter and is missing 6-7" of eye-poking and wall-dinging and weighty headstock not still worthwhile?

Even if they still have some "junk in the trunk", it's still almost always smaller than a "normal" guitar.

R3nG1kV.gif

That's a fair point, but, for me, I happen to like import tuners, Lotus cars, etc., not American Muscle, so I'm all about lighter weight. :lol:

But, I think the real question is just why do people want headless instruments. Obviously most people want them right now because they're trendy. But, there is the compact nature of them, which suggests a little less wood behind the bridge. Lighter weight helps if portability is the main concern. And, I personally think long scale instruments (especially basses) should be headless just to prevent neck dive.

It's a shame that builders are just randomly jumping on the headless bandwagon, without really designing it from the ground up. The strandberg kind of brought headless back, and was innovative. Prior to that, the Steinberger was a cool take on "only what you really need" for the guitar. But, I'd like to see someone come up with a clever idea. Who knows, maybe there is a neat way to approach headless with a whale tail tuner section, and a body closer to the nut, or something totally different from what we're seeing.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I'm more annoyed by those 2/3 cm of wood over the nut then the too much wood behind the bridge.
If you are making an headless instrument, ffs, just cut the headstock out like kiesel/steinberger.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whos gonna be the one to steer this into a tonewood debate? I sense it coming

lewis

Reaction score
Whos gonna be the one to steer this into a tonewood debate? I sense it coming
Hahaha
On that, where do these peoples argument still stand with Aristides???

That tone wood sounds siiiic..oh wait

Erm erm, actually it sucks where is the rosewood?

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
It's technically not really an electric guitar tbh, more like some pickups and hardware on some wood

EchelonXIII

Reaction score
I have played a few of these Indonesian made fusions, and for the money they are very very VERY good. Obviously, there is a large amount of variance within the models as QC is somewhat lowered in order to provide the low price that is has. But luckily Thomann offers amazing customer service so getting a 'new' one if one gets a lemon is no problem at all (at least, in the EU).
If these guys make it into the market with a roasted maple neck I'm totally getting one and putting the Fluence Modern set in I've got laying around.

Dyster

Reaction score
id happily sell my kidney for a ormsby if that actually covered the cost of importing one :D i wouldnt mind one of these HB`s if they are priced reasonably wich i assume it will be

')