Harley Benton Headless Prototypes

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I think it's bigger then you think.

Some still want the headless guitar to feel and look like a "traditional" guitar, but make no mistake: the body IS still smaller, and you still lose the whole length of the headstock.

And also, there are many taller/larger folks who would want a guitar that didn't look like a toy/novelty on them.

There's still lots of benefit to losing the headstock, and even just an inch or two off the back.

I"ve made this analogy before, but think about cars. Lots of people chose the more powerful engine option when they buy a car, even if they also don't also get the aero package, the racing slicks, and 5-point harnesses and the carbon ceramic brakes. Just a normal-feeling car with more "go" is still desirable.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
A "real world" benefit: A "normal" guitar case can't lay flat in the trunk of my car. It has to go in on an angle. The case that a Kiesel CL8 8-string multiscale ships in is 7.5" shorter than their normal one, and I can lay it flat in my car.

Plus, compared to their 6-string strat-style Delos model, even though that CL8 is an 8-string neck-through (so it has more of the heavier "neck" wood) with a longer scale, it's still 1.5lbs (average) lighter than the Delos, and almost that much lighter than their pretty-deeply-beveled Aries.

bassplayer8

Reaction score
Is the one with an ebony board a flat top compared to the bevel'd top of the flat black w/ maple board or are the pictures on the website tricking me?

Zhysick

Reaction score
Mahogany body + ebony board -> arched top
Alder body + maple board -> beveled top

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I think it's bigger then you think.

Some still want the headless guitar to feel and look like a "traditional" guitar, but make no mistake: the body IS still smaller, and you still lose the whole length of the headstock.

And also, there are many taller/larger folks who would want a guitar that didn't look like a toy/novelty on them.

There's still lots of benefit to losing the headstock, and even just an inch or two off the back.

I"ve made this analogy before, but think about cars. Lots of people chose the more powerful engine option when they buy a car, even if they also don't also get the aero package, the racing slicks, and 5-point harnesses and the carbon ceramic brakes. Just a normal-feeling car with more "go" is still desirable.

I get the practical reason that you can have it as a carry-on when you get on an airplane because the length is within carry-on guidelines... but headless guitars still look like dicks without tips to me.

jwguitar

Reaction score

lewis

Reaction score
some talk going around that the Dullahans have been pulled from Thomanns website/lineup because Kiesel has threatened them with legal action - citing the guitar is too similar to one of their models.

this is why we cant have nice things.
Jesus christ I hate Jeff Kiesel.
The dude recently just added a Fender Strat rip off to his lineup, but the second someone else releases a guitar that resembles something of his, then its a different story and there he is like a bad smell?

All this legal dick measuring shit that goes on has really held the guitar industry back imo

lets hope it turns out to be fake news, but nothing surprises me anymore.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

hamster

Reaction score
Some people in the Harley Benton FB group were talking about it. Think someone in there has first hand info on it

Jeff Kiesel made a public statement earlier this year explaining the situation, if my memory is good he had his lawyers send a Cease & Desist letter to Thomann concerning the Dullahan series around February on the basis that they are allegedly knockoffs of his copyrighted Osiris design.

However, the Dullahan will probably come back later this year with a slightly modified design...

I play music

Reaction score
Some people in the Harley Benton FB group were talking about it. Think someone in there has first hand info on it
Maybe they pulled it from the website till they confirm with their lawyer if the claim is (in)valid, just to go safe.

lewis

Reaction score
Jeff Kiesel made a public statement earlier this year explaining the situation, if my memory is good he had his lawyers send a Cease & Desist letter to Thomann concerning the Dullahan series around February on the basis that they are allegedly knockoffs of his copyrighted Osiris design.

However, the Dullahan will probably come back later this year with a slightly modified design...
would love Fender to do the same to them over the "Delos" model.

Guys ego knows no bounds.

lewis

Reaction score
I've said before but it irritates me because I believe it has no bearing over his sales at all.

If you are buying a Harley Benton then chances are you wont/dont/can't afford to buy a Kiesel.

If you are buying a Kiesel, you buy one. You wouldn't look at the dullahan and suddenly change your mind from USA Custom shop kiesel to inhouse music shop cheap guitar.

It's just him being a twat for the sake of it Imo.

')