Harmony...

• Thread starter Stretchnutz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stretchnutz

The Destroyer
Reaction score
what are some good harmonies for metal? Well, I know of a third below and a sixth above, but what does that mean? Like depending on what scale im using 3rd below would be three notes lower in the scale? ok so let me re-phrase the question.....what is some good metal/evil/sinister scales? And some harmony intervals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adamquek

Reaction score
I find the easiest way to understand this is to know what intervals are in the first place. Let's take C major as an example:

C D E F G A B

If you're playing against a C, the following notes would be:

C - unison/octave (depending on where you play it)
D - major 2nd
E - major 3rd
F - perfect 4th
G - perfect 5th
A - major 5th
B - major 7th

Let's take the same set of notes, and play against an A:

C - minor 3rd
D - perfect 4th
E - perfect 5th
F - minor 6th
G - minor 7th
A - unison/octave
B - major 2nd

Intervals only make sense when you gave *2* notes, because an interval is the distance between the 2 notes. When people say to harmonize in thirds, they mean to take the note that is a a third away, while playing diatonically (within the 7 notes (typically) that are in the scale). This may be a major 3rd or a minor 3rd, but it will always be a 3rd. It's quite common to see harmonies in thirds, which is no surprise as your basic triad/4 note chord is built in thirds. Take Am7 for example (A C E G).

A -C = minor 3rd
C - E = major 3rd
E - G = minor 3rd

now if we look at it all in reference to the A note
A - C = minor 3rd
A - E = perfect 5th
A - F = minor 7th

If you harmonised everything in 3rds you would get that classic Iron Maiden sort of harmony. If you could try harmonizing everything in 5ths, 7ths, or any other interval for that matter! Just try playing around with the diatonic notes and see where that takes you.

As for sinister scales...

The harmonic minor always worked well for me. It's a natural minor, only with a natural 7 instead of a b7.

A natural minor - A B C D E F G (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7)
A harmonic minor - A B C D E F G# (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7)

I also like the 5th mode of the harmonic minor, I know it by the names Phrygian Major or Double Phrygian.. not quite sure how correct those names are. I think of it as a Phrygian with a major 3rd

E phrygian - E F G A B C D (1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7)
E phrygian major / double phrygian - E F G# A B C D (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7)

Lastly, I like the diminished scale, it works great with the harmonic minor if you start on the 7th degree. The simple 4 note diminished scale would be:
G# B D F
The interesting thing about the diminished scale is that every note is a minor 3rd away from the next note. It's a perfectly symmetrical scale so you can just slide it around the neck in minor 3rds and go crazy with it. Hope this helped

')