Has anyone A/B'ed the Engl Invader 100 and the Invader 150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
After speaking with Misha we're going to chalk up his liking the 100 over the 150 to the Engl cab the 150 was being pushed through at WMC. :lol: Has anyone else compared the 100 watt version to the 150 watt version? I know the volume difference won't really matter as it's 10x the wattage for 2x the volume, plus Engl amps are well-known for their ability to run on a linear taper when it comes to volume. :wub: For those who have played both, is the 150 tighter at all? Any difference between the two really? :shrug: I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these and if the special order is going to be a pain I might just grab the 150. I found a way to get like a good $280 off the 150 if I grab it so it would still end up less than the Invader 100 at normal price. :D I wasn't sure if the different power section would be the equivalent of the Mesa Dual Recto vs the Triple Recto, or if it would be a non-issue as the Engl power amp section seems to act differently than that of a Mesa. :idea: Any help gents? :scratch: Thanks! :wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
FW15_main.jpg

It has the same blue switch!

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i've read about dudes here in germany selling their 150W invaders for the 100W version after it came out. I've never read/heard about anybody doing the oposite, or who has liked the 150W version over the 100W one. It seems to be the general consensus with this amp.

The only reason i see for getting the 150W version over the 100W is if you're getting a much better deal for the 150W one.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
i've read about dudes here in germany selling their 150W invaders for the 100W version after it came out. I've never read/heard about anybody doing the oposite, or who has liked the 150W version over the 100W one. It seems to be the general consensus with this amp.

The only reason i see for getting the 150W version over the 100W is if you're getting a much better deal for the 150W one.

Oh okay cool, thanks for that info! :yesway: I'll end up getting about $280 off the 150W version or $270 off the 100W one, so nah not a huge discount over the 100W one. :D I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope they can special order me one of the 100W versions from Engl! :wub: It's weird that Engl doesn't post the 100W version on their website anymore though, are they planning on discontinuing it or something? :scratch: :ugh:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
It's weird that Engl doesn't post the 100W version on their website anymore though, are they planning on discontinuing it or something? :scratch: :ugh:

afaik, they actually never had it on their website. For some reason i have the impression they don't take too much care of it anyway :shrug:

btw, major congrats on your amp choice :metal:

i'm actually still trying to settle on a head and the invader is currently on top of my list. I'll be looking forward your review+picstory

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh okay cool, thanks for that info! :yesway: I'll end up getting about $280 off the 150W version or $270 off the 100W one, so nah not a huge discount over the 100W one. :D I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope they can special order me one of the 100W versions from Engl! :wub: It's weird that Engl doesn't post the 100W version on their website anymore though, are they planning on discontinuing it or something? :scratch: :ugh:

How much of a savings will this translate to when you sell it to us on here? :lol:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
EL34s come to life when they're pushed! The more I turn up my invader 100 the more complex it gets. It's so dynamic and harmonically rich at practice/gigging (same volume to me :D) that it almost sounds like it has a light chorus on it. I mean this in a VERY GOOD way! I can't imagine you'd be able to push the 150 that hard without blowing out windows.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
hey joe, try KT77's in there and tell me how that goes. im curious.

damn you ENGL fanboys.. i havent even SEEN one...

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
EL34s come to life when they're pushed! The more I turn up my invader 100 the more complex it gets. It's so dynamic and harmonically rich at practice/gigging (same volume to me :D) that it almost sounds like it has a light chorus on it. I mean this in a VERY GOOD way! I can't imagine you'd be able to push the 150 that hard without blowing out windows.

You say this as if blowing out windows is a bad thing sir. I say to thee nay! :hungus:

An amp cannot be deemed tr00 until it shatters windows, ear drums and old ladys' hips for miles around. Only then can it be deemed tr00 and br00tal.

Ext789

Reaction score
I would think the 100 watt invader would be tighter... but maybe I don't know what i'm talking about:lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Mmmmmhhhmmmmmm :agreed:
:rofl:

Goddamn it guys you're not helping here! :rofl: In all seriousness though, I really am set on that amp. Note how I haven't gone out and splurged on a "new amp of the week" in almost a month now! That's like a record! :idea: :lol: Hopefully I can get my order in soon so I can get $270 off... that would be awesome. :agreed:

[action=Matt]still thinks that Joe needs to sell him his Invader 100... PWEEEEASE Joe?!?![/action] :wub:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Goddamn it guys you're not helping here! :rofl: In all seriousness though, I really am set on that amp. Note how I haven't gone out and splurged on a "new amp of the week" in almost a month now! That's like a record! :idea: :lol: Hopefully I can get my order in soon so I can get $270 off... that would be awesome. :agreed:

[action=Matt]still thinks that Joe needs to sell him his Invader 100... PWEEEEASE Joe?!?![/action] :wub:

Just hold on to it for a while after you get it so I have time to replenish my funds before you sell it :yesway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')