Hate/Love Abasi's Toone? How 'bout Reyes' new one...

Reaction score
Tosin Abasi's Toone build was very polarizing for its extremely radical design.

Javier Reyes now has a similar guitar, but it seems to be much more conventional, if that can even be said (single scale, clean finish, regular controls/pickups, wooden neck, etc.).

Meet "Viceroy:"

6a00e39826b2898833016302b457bb970d-800wi

6a00e39826b2898833016302b45852970d-800wi

6a00e39826b2898833016763a8f195970b-800wi

{Pictures from Toone's website; not my own}

I personally think this guitar and Abasi's are awesome, although fanned frets would be cool on this one. I feel that this will be less hated due to the relatively organic parts and the lack of a singed finish.

How 'bout it? What do y'all think?

Some specs:
27" scale
American red oak neck
Intersecting Plane profile - down
Hickory fretboard
Swamp ash body / spalted maple top / walnut accents
Lavender hardware (?)
DA-8 / PAF-8

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos7

Reaction score
Very unorthodox, I love it though :D I believe this one has the sliding Capo? Thats a great idea.. i could use something like that :/

celticelk

Reaction score
If I was to commission a Toone, this is pretty much exactly what I'd get, down to the wood choices. Beautiful instrument.

Dayn

Reaction score
This is a Toone guitar that I really do like. If only the metal plate was a wooden plate...

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I like it, but something about the low end of that neck is fucking with me. Something looks off, not sure what. Damn nice though.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I like the head stock a lot more on this one. Overall it looks very cool, the only part I don't like is the pointy protrusion near the bottom of the first picture. I'd love to give it a spin!

Z4T888

Reaction score
Honestly, I love the wood choice, the specs are nice and the total concept is nice but It is just not visually appealing to me.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally dont like the looks that much, but i love the different and unique things that Toone comes up with. Definatly a different luither

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
^ What headstock?? lol!!

Looks awesome, Rick Toone guitars are sick!!

I know it sounds funny but that chunk of metal at the top is big enough to warrant a name of some sort. Compare it to a traditional Steinberger sized one.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Tosin's was cool, but crazy out there. I really like this, like celticelk said, if I was getting a Toone, I'd be totally down with that guitar exactly.

Props to Javier for being an all-around awesome dude, he doesn't get enough credit.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Hey, these guitars seemed to be focused on function and not so much on form. If anything I'd love to play one of these for myself and see how it plays, feels, etc. I'm sure both Tosin and Javier wouldn't have gotten these guitars if they didn't do something right. I have a massive amount of respect for those two, although I'm still kind of optimistic as to how all of the different features on these guitars are beneficial over a conventionally built guitar. Who knows, I hope Javier likes his new axe, it's definitely an easily identifiable one, though.

AnarchyDivine88

Reaction score
I actually think this Toone build looks pretty nice, unlike Tosin's Blur, which I thought kind of looked like a fucking accident, mostly due to the neck and headstock. Although I guess the point of that was to have as thin a neck as physically possible, so I can see the functionality of that. Like Slunk Dragon said, they seem to have a reason for looking the way they do. Although this looks to me like it might not be so comfortable to play. I'm sure it is though.

Congrats to Javier on a very interesting new guitar! :yesway:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the design (especially since he's using wood he didn't pull out of the fireplace stack), but I personally can't stand that headless hardware. That is waaaay too much metal and too big, compared to a steiny or Strandberg. I don't understand what the point of no headstock is if you need a big old headstock like that. And the tuner hardware is monstrous. If I were getting a headless guitar the idea would be that its streamlined and minimalist, not simply that it has the tuners at the butt. This system has way more metal than a regular bridge and HS.

Lirtle

Reaction score
I much prefer this one to Tosins. I wouldn't rock it but it seems more solid.

')