Hate to admit it...standard BEADGBE sounds brutal

• Thread starter BobUBastard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I like to have 2 7's one tuned in B standard and on tuned in B flat. as far as brutal goes (i ahte that term) IMO that is in the hands of the players and the riffs they are playing. I like to use my B standard 7 as my main "overall" guitar so I play lots of 6 string songs on it as well.
Unfortunately until I get my Rico all I have at the moment is a 7620 in Bflat :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the record, we'd be in standard if our singer didn't whine about it. :lol: Seriously, the harmonics just sound better in "even" tunings, IMO.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
The first four albums are in A=440. After that, well, I don't care. :lol:

:agreed:

I noticed a few people saying they played a half-step down. The early albums were recorded in A=440, but for the last 10 years or more they have played them live tune a half-step down. I'm guessing James is probably losing some of his vocal range.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i still like standard B, but lately just a half step down from that is where i've been lately, can't go higher than B or lower than A# anymore

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
I guess I was just going for 7 string standard, but thats cool. Yea most old school metal tunes standard because they had the vocals that could hang with the higher tuning......fuck, it all sounds good.
On a side not though. I saw cannibal corpse at a Festival in Camden NJ last year, and they sounded like shit....Don't get me wrong, I love CC...But they tune to G on 24.5 scale Deans and it sounded like muddy shit live...I will say the album sounds Brutal and tight as balls though.

uH..................... since when has CC EVER tun to G?. They've always been either Eb standard or Bb Standard.

Psionicist

Reaction score
I love Trivium Shogun. Those songs are heavy enough in standard B, and in the Deluxe/Limited/whatever edition I got, they have a DVD segment showing you how to play some of the riffs.
My opinion, at some point you drop it so low you should just play a distorted bass and throw your guitar away.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
My band that tunes 6 strings to D standard is switching over to 7 string, and to keep our songs sounding the same I have my 7 agile tuned to A standard with daddario 9's. Kinda low and flubby on the A string but I still need to set up the action a bit more.

Anyone have any secrets? Heavier A string? I wish the floyd had an individual saddle height adjustment instead of just the 2 mounting pegs

:eek: Shit son, I used 11's for D standard and thought that was flubby. You may well dig the feel of 9's that low, but I really recommend trying some heavier strings as they just sound so much better in my opinion. I used 9's exclusively for about 10 years, because i thought lighter = faster, then I accidentally tried a set of 10.5's and my playing instantly became 10x better. Cleaner, faster and better sounding, win all around. :yesway:

I notice this too, of course when you recommended them a 7 they recoiled in nu-metal horror. /rolleyes

I noticed a lot of hardcore bands used drop-C, a few melodeath bands use B-standard or Bb-standard, I'm thinking, why don't you guys just use 7's? :scratch:

I used drop C for a lot of my old prog-metal band's stuff, and there's no way I'd be able to play some of those riffs on a 7-string. Drop C enables a lot of fingerings that are impossible or at least unnecessarily difficult on a standard tuned 7-string. Sure, if you only play power chords I could get your point, but for our style there was just no way.

adaman

Reaction score
uH..................... since when has CC EVER tun to G?. They've always been either Eb standard or Bb Standard.

+1 I can only think of a couple songs that are lower then Bb. Plus all of Pats B.C. Richs have baritone scale lengths not 24.75" ones. That being said I think his custom Ran is only 25.5

Either way I've seen them a stupid amount of times and I always leave very impressed with how amazing their live tone was :shrug:

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Most of the bands I've played in used B-standard tuning sometimes. But for some reason, I'm having a hard time writing anything in that tuning lately, so I usually play in drop-A on the 7 or drop-B on the 6.

sicstynine

Reaction score
bloodbath, despised icon, at the gates, amon amarth, soilwork, cryptopsy, sepultura...all standard b (to some point) iirc. lots of br00talzz there q:

I personally never drop tune my sevens. Been playing sevens in standard tuning from the beginning so it kinda feels "unnatural" to drop tune them q:

Mayhem was so brutal that they put dead animals on stage and killed each other, and they always played in E standard.
:lol: +1

[Edit] Oh wait, sevenstring area here, haha. forget the bands up there :lol:

Hendog

Reaction score
I play my 7 in B. My 2 6's are E and C.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
bloodbath, despised icon, at the gates, amon amarth, soilwork, cryptopsy, sepultura...all standard b (to some point) iirc. lots of br00talzz there q:

I personally never drop tune my sevens. Been playing sevens in standard tuning from the beginning so it kinda feels "unnatural" to drop tune them q:

:lol: +1

despised icon is played on a 6.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
Between The Buried and Me is in C# Standard on 6 strings.
Protest the Hero is in Eb Standard on 6 strings.
The Human Abstract has some drop tuned stuff and some standard tuned stuff, on 6 strings.
The Black Dahlia Murder and Dethklok are in C Standard on 6 strings.

As for 7 strings though

Nevermore is in Bb Standard.
Unearth is in B Standard.
Some Dream Theater is in B Standard.

wlfers

Reaction score
:eek: Shit son, I used 11's for D standard and thought that was flubby. You may well dig the feel of 9's that low, but I really recommend trying some heavier strings as they just sound so much better in my opinion. I used 9's exclusively for about 10 years, because i thought lighter = faster, then I accidentally tried a set of 10.5's and my playing instantly became 10x better. Cleaner, faster and better sounding, win all around. :yesway:

I'll give it a try sometime, I think my first step would be to just get custom gauges for the A and D strings and if that doesn't work out for me.

I'm just so comfortable with the action and tension on my 6 that I'm trying to apply it to my 7 and its looking like it wont work out that way

Latest posts

')