Hate to admit it...standard BEADGBE sounds brutal

• Thread starter BobUBastard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

unitas

Reaction score
I was in my local guitar center looking around and I saw a Schecter Omen 7 string and I plugged that motherfucker in and started administering and that bitch was in drop A. I said, "fuck you previous guitar player" *flex* and tuned that mofo up to B standard and administered metal in true tuning to a man and his young son who happened to walk by.:lol:

Fixed.

I also proclaim this true. /flex
:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
Mercenary tunes standard on 7's i beleive.

Reaction score
I loves me some Bb/Eb standard man. A little bit deeper, and little less tension, but still nearly the same. Some of my favorite bands play a half step flat as well.

Me too. I actually would prefer to play in B so I can study theory and memorize the fretboard but I cannot write in B tuning. I can only write music in Bb. If I tune any lower I just bounce up and down off the low string and call it a song

harvested

Reaction score
I play in standard B also, or standard A, but only when I cover Korn or some Standard D bands, also, my band plays in Standard...
we hate drop.. dunno why exactly but I guess we have more option with standard...

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
Acdc, Maiden, Priest(on some albums), Ozzy(Blizzard), Michael Schenker, Scorpions, Early Metallica, Skynard. Guess I answered my own question...And shown my age at the same time.....yeesh.

I'm pretty sure Metallica tuned to D standard.
Didn't they?
I don't remember.

And, I don't know if any of you guys are fans, but.. Trivium was tuned to B standard on their 7s on the Shogun album. And, all of those songs are heavy. :shred:

stryker1800

Sweet Pickle
Reaction score
my band mates love drop d, I'm also the only one who has a seven and i still rock the standard while they play the easy powerchords. For the record i don't hate drop d im just lazy and don't want to change my tunings lol.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Tbh I've never been sold on drop tunings. They might be great for the chunga chunga stuff, but they just put the notes on the fretboard in a less logical position for scales and chords, which is lame. I've always stuck with standard, whether its B or E standard.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
My band tunes 1 step down and it's an alternative/indie rock band. A Perfect Circle tunes in C# standard and it's not heavy at all...

Though lower tuning is more compatible with br00talz, they are different concepts which don't always stick together.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Drop tunings is not necessarily a factor for heaviness, the riffs make the song. Tuning might kill or help the riff in the process.:hbang:

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
I tune to standard B, often drop A but that's usually just to add an octave below what I'm playing on the 5th string, not for chugging.

Dream Theater springs to mind as a band that tunes to B standard, Steve Vai aswell.

+1 to this. I can't drop on a whim on my 7 because it has an Edge trem, but I tend to alternate which way I set it up if I feel the need to do some classy comping or just normal playing.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Metallica tuned to D standard.
Didn't they?

Metallica only tuned to D standard for a few songs, such as Sad But True and Devil's Dance (no idea/don't care about St. Anger and beyond, but generally they're in Eb standard to my knowledge). They used drop D for The Thing That Should Not Be and probably something else (drop C# for songs like No Leaf Clover).

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Metallica only tuned to D standard for a few songs, such as Sad But True and Devil's Dance (no idea/don't care about St. Anger and beyond, but generally they're in Eb standard to my knowledge). They used drop D for The Thing That Should Not Be and probably something else (drop C# for songs like No Leaf Clover).

Most of Metallica's stuff was in Eb but couple like Sad but True was def D and love em or hate them that Sad But True riff is fcuking monster heavy....

Lot of metal bands drop to Eb specially the old school stuff to help with the lack of range in the singers voice, why Van Halen did it, Ratt definitely to compensate for Percy's shocking range. But Sepultura was standard tuning for all the early stuff even Roots I think was most part standard (please correct me if I am wrong btw). The dvd with the Roadrunner anniversary CD has Dino quoting bout Andreas telling him back in the day "you don't have to tune low to be heavy!" Good enough for Andreas then good enough for me! haha!

behemoth91

Reaction score
i dont own a sevenstring but i tune to drop a# and drop b on my six string and i find it heavier then drop a on a sevenstring. and no i dont play slipknot on drop b, mainly behemoth

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
I tune in Drop A mainly for easy harmonisation, can also play around with chord shapes and get some pretty cool sounds, all with the rest being in standard

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
brutal does not lie in the tuning, and why the hell shouldn't a B tuning be brutal?

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
I loves me some Bb/Eb standard man. A little bit deeper, and little less tension, but still nearly the same. Some of my favorite bands play a half step flat as well.

:agreed: I use Eb/Bb just because I like the feel more, not for extra br00tals. :lol:

Also because I wanted to play along with Boris songs. :lol:

But yeah, sounding heavy is much more in your tone, and the way your parts are constructed. Hell, Gojira are in D standard and they're heavy as fuck. :metal:

Latest posts

')