Have you ever been confused on what instrument "is you?"

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I wasnt talking about my specific guitar really, just guitar in general. I think it sounds like garbage for clean/poppy stuff, esp when comparing it to Piano. Its just that some instruments have their "place" in certain types of music.. and sure its "ok" to use certain instruments in those ways, but I dont enjoy hearing my instrument that way.

I was in a band with a keyboard player the past few years, He was a phenominal songwriter, the issue is when he wrote his scores in Sibelius/finale with the proper instruments, then transposed them to "common" instruments, like guitar/bass.. They just sounded like garbage. He had like piano-style lines that he wanted played on guitar, and I did them exactly as he wrote them in notation but they never sounded right, and he'd get all frustrated like I was doing something wrong, but I was playing EXACTLY what he wrote out for me. Anyways, my point is, certain instruments sound better for certain things, and I personally dont like guitar for those kind of things. Sure, acoustic folk music is wrote for that purpose, but can you imagine if Elton John or Stevie Wonder played guitar instead of piano?? Wouldnt work with such power that they have with piano

So, you're saying that a guitar doesn't sound right when played pianistically, and that if one is composing for guitar using the piano idiom, it sounds awful? I'd agree with that. That's what separates decent composers from great composers.

I like how you completely toss guitar out of the pop music genre. When I try to pick out Elton John's most driving song, I go to "Saturday Night's Alright (for Fighting)." Oddly enough, the power in it comes from the guitar, and the keyboard is barely audible.

I suppose you're right. I can't imagine how all those pop songs make it on the radio, given that many of them use guitars, played in the guitar idiom. Toss in Billy Joel, and we have another piano player who had guitar driving quite a few of his hardest hits. "Big Shot" is definitely not bad for "acoustic folk music," wouldn't you say?

Personally, your response just makes me think that you have a lot to learn about music, and about how to use instruments to their fullest. It makes me laugh (in a sad way) that your impressions of guitar are based on trying to make it into a keyboard. It's like someone who thinks that they can pull off replacing the guitars from other "acoustic folk musics" with a keyboard, like the music of Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles.

Ah, well. You're young. As you learn more, are exposed to more, and gain perspective, I think you'll probably refine your statement to something a little more understandable. To believe that an instrument has certain natural strengths is great. To force an instrument into a stylistic idiom which doesn't fit it may not work.

Gotta say, though, your reduction of guitar to "acoustic folk music" is pretty amusing, especially posting here on SevenString.org. *laugh* How did you find this forum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE bass guitar, with guitar in a close second.
Also, I dig the hell out of really low-tuned, unusual, and uncommonly used instruments.

Such as...

Upright bass, viola, bass flute, bass clarinet, contrabass sax, sub contrabass recorder

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Well when people think of me, guitarist comes to mind. (I've even been referred to as 'that heavy-set dude that plays guitar'. :rofl: )

But I have been messing around with drums lately and really liking the idea of getting good at them. Also, despite my ultra-terrible attempt at it onstage once, I wanna take lessons to do death metal vocals.

I had to learn beginning piano when I was going for an AA in music, so I know my basic theory and can do all the major/minor chords on a piano as well. I improv on a one now and again. I've also learned some beginning bass stuff and even learned stuff like the intro bassline on the song Peace Sells, But Who's Buying.

Still guitar is the instrument that I always fall back to. I just love the power that it has. It can do so many things and with the right gear, can make virtually any sound. It's like the worlds largest toolbox for me. Drums are cool, but you're really only limited to beats. Bass is cool to, and has a pretty wide canvas, but not the same kind of range as the guitar. Vocals....well there's only so much you can do there.

In the end, the guitar is where it's at for me. But +1 to learning to do all those instruments as it will broaden your horizons. It can also get you more gigs (and in turn more $$$) as you'll be able to sit in on just about any gig. It can also help you save money when it comes time to do a recording, since you won't have to hit up other people to play on said recording. ;)

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
So, you're saying that a guitar doesn't sound right when played pianistically, and that if one is composing for guitar using the piano idiom, it sounds awful? I'd agree with that. That's what separates decent composers from great composers.

I like how you completely toss guitar out of the pop music genre. When I try to pick out Elton John's most driving song, I go to "Saturday Night's Alright (for Fighting)." Oddly enough, the power in it comes from the guitar, and the keyboard is barely audible.

I suppose you're right. I can't imagine how all those pop songs make it on the radio, given that many of them use guitars, played in the guitar idiom. Toss in Billy Joel, and we have another piano player who had guitar driving quite a few of his hardest hits. "Big Shot" is definitely not bad for "acoustic folk music," wouldn't you say?

Personally, your response just makes me think that you have a lot to learn about music, and about how to use instruments to their fullest. It makes me laugh (in a sad way) that your impressions of guitar are based on trying to make it into a keyboard. It's like someone who thinks that they can pull off replacing the guitars from other "acoustic folk musics" with a keyboard, like the music of Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles.

Ah, well. You're young. As you learn more, are exposed to more, and gain perspective, I think you'll probably refine your statement to something a little more understandable. To believe that an instrument has certain natural strengths is great. To force an instrument into a stylistic idiom which doesn't fit it may not work.

Gotta say, though, your reduction of guitar to "acoustic folk music" is pretty amusing, especially posting here on SevenString.org. *laugh* How did you find this forum?

Nope. Not even close.

I said I PERSONALLY, do not want to play guitar on those kind of things. It sounds fine for the most part, altho certain things DO sound better on Piano, like you agreed with in the first line.. but ME as a guitarist, I HATE playing those kind of things on guitar, thats the point I was trying to get across.

Nice condescending attitude though; I dont see ANYONE changing my opinion that for me, I've been thru the runs of almost every genre of music in full-band situations over the past few years, and thats the conclusion I came up with. I dont like playing guitar for those situations. Its not a hard concept to grasp really, but since you seem to think you are so "experienced" and "wise" in music, I guess you are entitled to your completely wrong and ludicrous opinion.

And didnt I say Guitar works GREAT for rock/metal? Thats obviously guitars primary role in the music world (and classical/bossa nova), and how you find this forum. Its primarily a metal forum, you can't deny that, and that is what I will play when playing guitar as a hobby; Metal/rock/shred/classical. For real world bands though, I would prefer to play bass or alto on the variety of music you see in session work. And thats 100% my personal feeling, I dont like strumming chords or comping all day.

-----

And to emphasis on my post, When I mentioned my specific guitar, I meant specific guitar as in my Carvin's. The guy was suggesting they might be set up wrong or something, which is not the case. And the 2nd part of that statement, I meant to say guitar is ACCEPTABLE for other things, but its not as good as instruments that are intended. Elton John's best pieces (in my opinion, dont like that Fightin song) are written on piano, and if you tranposed them to guitar, they wouldnt work as well. Thats MY opinion, but Im sure many would agree who are not biased guitarists. When you write a part on an instrument that is complex like Piano lines, it is hard to replicate that on a completely different instrument and maintain the same feel.

The other part, I will also stand by. When you write certain parts on instruments, and you then ask other instruments to play them, theres a high probability they will not work. Write a slap bass part, then try playing it on piano, will it sound as good? (obv not, you cant get that percussive slap).. And thats what I meant, my last band member was doing shit like that, writing parts that emphasizes an instruments strengths, then trying to transpose it to other instruments, and it wouldnt sound good..

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Vocals....well there's only so much you can do there.

Maybe this will change your mind.

On, topic, i've always known i'm a guitar player, but most of the time i'm also the best drummer present or the only guy who can play drums (my drummer lives about a half hour away), so i find myself playing a lot of drums with most people. It gets old, to say the least.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Well when people think of me, guitarist comes to mind. (I've even been referred to as 'that heavy-set dude that plays guitar'. :rofl: )

But I have been messing around with drums lately and really liking the idea of getting good at them. Also, despite my ultra-terrible attempt at it onstage once, I wanna take lessons to do death metal vocals.

I had to learn beginning piano when I was going for an AA in music, so I know my basic theory and can do all the major/minor chords on a piano as well. I improv on a one now and again. I've also learned some beginning bass stuff and even learned stuff like the intro bassline on the song Peace Sells, But Who's Buying.

Still guitar is the instrument that I always fall back to. I just love the power that it has. It can do so many things and with the right gear, can make virtually any sound. It's like the worlds largest toolbox for me. Drums are cool, but you're really only limited to beats. Bass is cool to, and has a pretty wide canvas, but not the same kind of range as the guitar. Vocals....well there's only so much you can do there.

In the end, the guitar is where it's at for me. But +1 to learning to do all those instruments as it will broaden your horizons. It can also get you more gigs (and in turn more $$$) as you'll be able to sit in on just about any gig. It can also help you save money when it comes time to do a recording, since you won't have to hit up other people to play on said recording. ;)

Yea man, I do agree that guitar is probably the 2nd most versatile instrument after Piano, its pretty insane how much stuff you can do on it, but I just dont enjoy doing most of the stuff outside of metal/classical on it, so thats my determining factor. Comping and strumming chords is boring, but grooving on bass or walking bass lines is so fun you can do that all day. Horn section lines are also amazingly fun, probably the funnest time ive ever had in bands.

yeh, another thing to think about, theres a million guitarists out there, but a lot less bass/sax, so you get more work that way, and once people know you as a session guy that is reliable and trustworthy, they might even call about guitar too (since im sure ill keep my guitar skills "decent"..) so thats a big bonus. I dont want that to sway my opinion too much though, want it to be truely what I enjoy doing. and lately, these past 2 weeks, has been much more fun on bass/alto than guitar when doing the runs on more genres.

avenger

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you want to make money so do whatever you think will make you the most money and don't worry about playing what you want/enjoy playing.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to think that playing chords was boring, and I only really wanted to play solos. But the more I played in different bands and different situations, the more I started analyzing the arrangements and compositions I was playing,and how the entire band sounds, rather than just thinking about my own parts. So I started seeing the band as a team producing a song, not as myself playing a guitar part.

So in short, I get a kick of just being in a good-sounding band. And it's up to everyone to make that happen, a constant balance of leaving room and taking the spotlight, and everything in between.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I always wanted to play drums, but parents got me a guitar instead ("drums are too big, too loud, too expensive!" fast fwd 8 years and I own a full stack and have been through at least 6 guitars...).

I love the guitar, but I will learn how to play drums when I have the space, money and time for a kit. I don't know if it will be more "me", since I am not that good any time I get on a kit, but I'm damn well going to do it!

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I used to think that playing chords was boring, and I only really wanted to play solos. But the more I played in different bands and different situations, the more I started analyzing the arrangements and compositions I was playing,and how the entire band sounds, rather than just thinking about my own parts. So I started seeing the band as a team producing a song, not as myself playing a guitar part.

So in short, I get a kick of just being in a good-sounding band. And it's up to everyone to make that happen, a constant balance of leaving room and taking the spotlight, and everything in between.

its not that at all, cause I love playing bass in bands, just sitting in the pocket following the drummer all day.. Bass is basically the backbone of every band, other than drums. Anyone who are just thinking of their own parts should probably not play music with bands, thats like basics 101 for music, esp if you want to get paid as a musician. I can't play with those people, which is a lot of guitarists unfortunately.

')