Have you ever paid too much for a guitar?

• Thread starter ThomasUV777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
Yes, all the time. The thing is, and I learned this long ago - you can earn more money. Work harder, sell some stuff, etc. You'll forget about the money eventually once you have it back.

But some guitars only come around once in a lifetime. You have to do what it takes to get them when they are available. My opinion.

Is this your guitar collection?

An extensive guitar collection featuring rare Ernie Ball / Music Man, Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, and Peavey guitars. Signature models I collect are Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani, Nigel Tufnel, Phil Collen, Warren DeMartini who

Are you Bill Gates?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
Paid $1000 AUD for my RGA, it was my birthday and it looked amazing in the photos. It was pretty dinged up when i saw it but the hype on this forum for the rga was correct and it is by far my favourite guitar

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
I wanted a Charvel crackle for......well......ever. Missed a couple then a rainbow crackle came up with a Jackson neck. Description stated 'set up by a luthier', most likely a deaf blind fingerless one. Shouldve known the neck & body scale were no match but the electronics were dodgy & the bridge was all kinds of frankenstein.

I wasn't too bothered by all this as the body & neck are sweet. What jerks my chain is after paying AU $980 for this rarely seen axe, I'd come across a consistent flow of mint crackles for under $700. I'm glad I have it but as time goes by, I become even more disappointed in myself for not waiting a bit longer, I do now feel I was duped.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Nope.
Guitars to me are just tools to make music so I buy them as tools not as jewels.Those who believe in electric guitars Tonewood myths pay over a thousand dollars for guitars that have 25 dollars bodies.Yep, the majority of bodies that wasn't made of ancient haunted Chinese wood cost about 25 dollars.What about signatures? The same 25 dollars bodies but with a famous guitarist name.That's your money so you know how to spend it, I know how to spend mine ;)

Dcm81

Reaction score
Nope.
Guitars to me are just tools to make music so I buy them as tools not as jewels.Those who believe in electric guitars Tonewood myths pay over a thousand dollars for guitars that have 25 dollars bodies.Yep, the majority of bodies that wasn't made of ancient haunted Chinese wood cost about 25 dollars.What about signatures? The same 25 dollars bodies but with a famous guitarist name.That's your money so you know how to spend it, I know how to spend mine ;)

Yup, cause you know.....wood is the only thing that costs money in a guitar. And all those custom shops and luthiers get their super figured, thick tops from the rummage bin at best buy :noplease:

Back on topic: all the time here in Germany!! I'm dying for a KM-7 but a new one here costs $1500 :eek:

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Nope I own shares in one of the larger music stores in the United Kindgom, I pay trade price for all my musical needs and get lots of free samples on everythng from picks to Gibsons, I haven't payed retail or MRSP for any music related product in over five years now.

I must say, buying those shares in that music store was one of the best decisions I have ever made, it's saved me a fortune over the years. I'm actually looking to buy more shares in the company it's proven to be that good for me, and not only that, my girlfriend/wife who is the sensible and smart one in the relashionship approves of it, she has a real job, she works in finance so knows a thing or two about buying shares.

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
in Belgium every piece of gear is overpriced, if they even can get a hold of it... that's why most buy in Germany (Thomann, Musicstore, Session, etc) and even those aren't 'great' deals...

Edika

Reaction score
When I bought my first guitar used I paid a bit too much for todays standards but back then with not having much of a second hand market, internet in it's infancy let alone online transactions and poorly stocked and overpriced stores it wasn't that bad. So I paid the equivalent of €450 for my MIJ Squier with a fender case. I still have that guitar though and don't regret buying it.
I paid €2150 for my Carvin DC400. I bought it new from a store in my hometown searching for my first good guitar. I wasn't aware of Carvin and their model and to add insult into injury at that period of time they were still doing direct sales to Europe. If I knew you could order with your specs I would have gone for something slighlty different and still have paid less even with VAT and import duties.
Tried to play it smart and buy a BC Rich jrV deluxe cheaper than in EU and with case. Didn't take into account the VAT and import fees and ended up paying the same as guitar with no case so about €850. I was really pissed with UPS because the delivery guy said nothing and I received a threatening letter after a month to pay up. In hindsight I could have just ignored it as I doubt they'd have taken legal action for €150. But because I was pissed I asked for a damage refund for the case that came to €150 and got it back.
I paid £205 for a used Jackson KVX10 with a Stagg case. I had put a max bid of £170 as I thought nobody would be crazy enough to go that high. Somebody did and I'm suspecting the seller had a duplicate account to raise the amount. It did have some extras that could count as a plus but all other ads I saw afterwards were about £110-£120 with or without case. Managed to sell it for £160 with the case so it wasn't a total loss.

In general I've managed to keep my cool and not go crazy and buy gear I think are overpriced. For example I'm lusting like crazy for either a Gibson Voodoo Explorer, either a Gothic Explorer or a Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer. The first I find for about £800-1100 all beat up and lately I've seen the Thunderhorse going for $2100 used and with knocks in the US, which if I'm not mistaken is more than the new price it was selling. It seems lately the "collector" guys that buy guitars to only sell in inflated prices further down the line are getting a tad impatient.

mr coffee

Reaction score
Yup, cause you know.....wood is the only thing that costs money in a guitar. And all those custom shops and luthiers get their super figured, thick tops from the rummage bin at best buy :noplease:

Back on topic: all the time here in Germany!! I'm dying for a KM-7 but a new one here costs $1500 :eek:

Lets not even get into shops that actually take the time to select wood based on things like the cut, the grain pattern, the moisture content, etc. because you know, structural integrity and dimensional stability aren't critical to guitar construction or anything. Yeah, I can go to the yard and pick up beautiful bits of lumber all day long but that doesn't make them well suited to luthiery. Ha.

-m

Latest posts

')