Have you ever sold gear and regretted it?

Gmork

Reaction score
i almost sold my peavey 6505 head this past week!!! whats wrong with me!? my plan was to sell it to get the peavey 50/50 poweramp and rockmaster pre. ......but then i wouldnt have my 6505!
im REEEALLY glad nobody scooped it up before i came to my senses. :nuts:
had the price as low as $500 at one point! of course i still want the 50/50 and rockmaster and will eventually get them, no need to get rid of one of the best amps ever.
anyone else have similar (or sadder) stories of close calls or total regret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
My Mesa Triple Rec 4x12 OS recto cab. I was at the point of moving countries and wasn't sure where I'd end up so I decided to bite the bullet and sell it to also get a bit more cash for the move. I ended up using half of the money to buy my Ibanez puzzle top so the blow wasn't as bad since I love that guitar and it is quite unique.

I kind of regret selling my Carvin DC747 but it was mainly for the same reasons as above, as well as my BC Rich JrV NJ deluxe. On the other hand my current guitars are more to my liking so I can't really really complain even though both were really nice guitars.

Reaction score
My old custom finished Washburn N4. Beautiful guitar, loved everything about it, but I just wasn't playing it much at the time so I offloaded it. I regret it every day. Even my wife loved it, which is saying a lot...it's the one guitar she said if I ever come across it again, buy it no questions asked. Here's to hoping lol

oc616

Control Deck Wins
Reaction score
Schecter Blackjack ATX C7. Sold it 5 years ago to pay for a deposit on a flat, and despite owning RG7321s with BK pickups or even a "dream guitar" Jackson COW 7, nothing ever came close to singing like that did. Decreasing budgets for this hobby left me with little hope of grabbing another before being discontinued.

Luckily Andertons had a blowout on some 8 string versions for £400 new a year ago from the same line, so I immediately picked one back up.

vansinn

Reaction score
Yes - though regrets are somewhat useless per se: I make a decision, and that's it..

At times, I do regret selling my Sunn Model T amp.
I should've kept my Höffner 12-string electric (sortof explorer model).

And I should've stayed in a darker part of Denmark, and kept my totallly modded and tuned-up Suzuki GT 750 :agreed:
(and kept the 18yo who ripped my pants off before kissing)

wakjob

Reaction score
Regrets...nope.

I've even gone as far as to re-buy gear that I thought I wanted back some years after the fact, just to quickly realize why I ditched it in the first place.

Sentiment can be misleading, especially with gear.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I had a steinberger rip off that from what I could gather was made by Cort, it was a project guitar as such, electronics were iffy, guitar needed some cleaning etc, but it was still quite cool to have as a portable guitar, unfortunately I sold it for what would be the equivalent of about $50 cause I needed the money at the time. As it stands in my life right now having that guitar would actually be quite convenient.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
Recently repurchased a Tangerine Parker Fly to replace the one I regretted selling some years ago. Next to recover is the Vigier Shawn Lane.

Psionic

three headed monkey
Reaction score
I had a Schecter Blackjack atx V got it for pretty cheap new, was one of the best Guitars i ever owned it felt like it came out of the oven this light it was despite the big body, unfortunately im not a V-Type of Guy so i sold it...

And my White Jim Root Strat now that they dont built them anymore and i want a strat type Guitar to go with my esp Eclipse FT i want it back hard :(

Rawkmann

Reaction score
My Ibanez 540PII. Didn't realize at the time how rare those things would become.

RUSH_Of_Excitement

Reaction score
Yes, I seriously regret selling my Epiphone Matt Heafy Custom 6 string lol. But it is purely a sentimental thing, since I've come to abhor Tune-o-matic bridges and the uncomfortable Les Paul shape. Plus with the money from it I bought my awesome Strat :D It was however the first real guitar I bought with my own money so that's why I miss it.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I regret now, but at the time it was the right choice.

1) MIJ Ibanez 7420, back in 2010. I had no need for a 7-stringer. Now I wish I had it in my rig.
2) ADA MP-2 + Marshall 9100. Sounded amazing, but heavy as hell. I was not gigging at the time. I sold the two for very little money, though.
3) My very first electric, a Yamaha Pacifica 112V. 20 years later, I played only a few Strats-like guitar that sounded better. The new 112V are crap compared to what that was. But I needed a "metal" guitar at the time, and I was broke.

I have more regrets about rig that I bought, didn't like, and did not manage to resell.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I sometimes regret selling my Ibanez Ergodyne EDR470EX, yes it was green, yes it was made out of some sort of compound resin material, yes it just had those "designed by emg" pickups, but for some reason it just felt good.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
My Ibanez TBX150H. Had to sell it to make money for a new computer.

I mean I got one of my dream amps now, but I still miss it. :(

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I sell to my friends like 90% of the time so I can buy my stuff back later

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
For me it's these three.....

Jackson Roswell Rhoads: I bought this new and had to wait about a month for it and didn't stop playing it for several years until I sold it to make rent thinking I'd be able to pick one up again further down the line and boy oh boy was I wrong on that count. :nuts:

Fender Jagstang: People are snobby about these because of the Cobain connection but truth is that once you learn how to deal with that funky bridge you'll find they're great playing versatile guitars with a highly playable neck. Mine was one of the original late 90's run with the alder body in red and just like the Roswell Rhoads I sold it to make rent. :noplease:

Dod Buzz Box: For those that don't know this pedal is a Dod grunge distortion with the MXR Blue Box circuit thrown in but you can't turn off the Blue Box circuit so it makes these weird random noises that veer from sounding like Pacman having a shouting match with one of the droids from Star Wars to slick 80's style synth tones.
This pedal is the sonic equivalent of a lucky dip plus the distortion isn't too shabby so I never got bored of it and used to bring it to jam sessions all the time but I ended up selling it and I've no idea why.

Bonus mention....Marshall JCM800 head: Ok so I didn't actually buy this one but sometime around 1999-2000 I spotted two of these going for £200 each gathering dust in a second hand music store but I was young and stupid so I had zero idea of their tone or their worth and left the store empty handed.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I miss my ESP Horizon in Half Matte Black... Sold it to pay the rent and fund some other gear. It's in the area and I can buy it back whenever though, so that's good.

Dooky

Reaction score
When I was about 18 years old I sold my first ever electric that my parents bought me. They bought the guitar for me when I was about 12 years old. It was a no-name Les Paul copy - but it looked and played quite nice. Not long after selling it I regretted it and couldn't get it back. So I've never sold another piece of gear since - which is why I have about 15 guitars now.

')