Have you found your TONE?

• Thread starter Leuchty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
because i have no need to turn it off :)

i have my neck pickup for cleans, and i have the volume rolled back to 3 instead of 10 - the tubescreamer makes the tone a bit brighter and tighter vs the amp's cleans (which aren't too bad).

may want to try a different cab with that XXL - they're damn nice heads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackout

Reaction score
Oh yeah, i'm definately gonna keep the head. Not sure whether I want a new cab or an axe fx next, but the XXL is definately the best £150 i ever spent. Really looking forward to seeing what it can do through a mesa/orange/vader.

wammy_bar

Reaction score
yes, I run a g-system with a recotverb intergrated in, with the preamp isolated in the lop and such so all the effects are in the right place. then I use the loops with my od pedal which tightens my heavy tone, then I have all that in a rack so that I can have a single cat 5 cable coming out to the controller part of the g-system. I also have a wireless system for less cables.

I love it, so easy for live, just plug in a few cable and go.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
My Mark III into my Recto 2X12 is about as close as I've gotten to what I hear in my head.
Thru a 4x12 recto cab would probably be even closer.
I tend to get a sound vey similar no matter what amp I'm playing thru, so I've got to think a certain amount of tone comes from the player (the way he plays) and the way they dial in an amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
nick, sounds like we are at a similar level of dialing in amps then lol.

im wondering what a cranked boosted recto would do for my tone, because a stock semi-cranked recto wasnt too far from the JSX the way i set it up :shrug:

back to the matter at hand, dialing in your tone on your gear..

i really want to grab an EQ and high pass and low pass my signal to see how much that cleans it up.

Red

Made In The USA
Reaction score
I haven't found my tone yet, maybe the Single Recto I might be acquiring soon will have it

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
I can find my tone through most EL34 equipped amps with a little tweaking. A Marshall is good but I think a Laney is much better (a bit noisey...nothing a noise supressor can't fix) with 4x12 Celestion V30s. Couple this with an alder bodied bolt-on maple neck with a JB or Mahogany bodied bolt-on maple neck with a Super 3, either combo with a vintage pickup in the neck for leads and little digital delay, and VOILA! the rest is all in the right hand technique and phrasing:agreed:

Ostia Man

Contributor
Reaction score
EVH havent find his tone(new 5150 III)
steve vai havent find his tone(new carvin legacy)
SRV always used different apms live(#1 was always there thoug)
satch(new jsx)
john petrucci(switches mesas like under ware)

that the beauty of it we'll never will.
but it's still fun as hell

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
EVH havent find his tone(new 5150 III)
steve vai havent find his tone(new carvin legacy)
SRV always used different apms live(#1 was always there thoug)
satch(new jsx)
john petrucci(switches mesas like under ware)

that the beauty of it we'll never will.
but it's still fun as hell

Gives me a leg up as I'm satisfied and they aren't :D

Now if only I was playing to that many people....

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I've found a tone that kind of works, but it changes whenever I plug a different guitar in.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I don't have the proper equipment to get my tone, but I've come close with what I do have.

Skylark

Giver of Names
Reaction score
The first day i walked into the room where my first guitar teacher gave me an introduction to playing 80 metal (ride the lightning stuff a.s.o) he had that tone standing infront of a full stack (which i saw for the first time) and shredded. Glory 1992

And then it was Nevermore 2003 in Wacken, Germany. Full stop.

AFAIK and thru all these years i only had one amp that was coming close which was a Peavey Roadmaster together with Pro Gap and Digitech FX stuff. With an Ibby RBM 1 tuned to F

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Have i found my tone yet? No. Hell, I'd be happy if i could find someone else's tone i was happy with :lol: Having played relatively cheap solid state amps since the dawn of time, i've had to get every once of tone i could out of my hands, guitar, pick, and strings. I'm happy with that tone, but its missing something -> money for a better amp

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have not. My tone involves way too much money ($20,000?) for a completely new guitar, stereo setup (2 heads, 2 cabs), and fx. Lots of fx. TBH it would probably end up more like $25,000...

Makes me sad. Im pretty close with what i have, but it just isnt 'my tone'... :'(

Reaction score
You know it's funny. I found the tone I didn't know I was looking for. I have indeed found my sound and it just came about naturally. A friend told me that I sound like some hippie guru or something when I describe my sound and what I'm after but understanding every component from speakers to the material of the picks I use, as well as the emotion I want the tone to put across really helps. I always censor myself a bit when talking about it because it really does sound weird but to me your "tone" is in a way, you in audio form and when I came across it I just knew it and everything fell into place. Everything is about feel and emotion to me when it comes to music and I think that's the best way to approach things. When I found the right combination of settings between my amp and OD pedal it just clicked and that feeling and emotion I was looking for was there. Even my cleans have that vibe. I don't like pretty clean cleans. I prefer what I call "miserychord" clean. It's an ambient, ghostly kind of dirty clean and once I really gave thought to the emotion I wanted, not the sound, it just worked. I never thought I'd be done so soon with finding my sound but I have and I'm the happiest I've ever been

ephriamiv7

Reaction score
fucking koch twin tone 50 watt with a marshall mode four mf 450 cab with celets..... with the d activators siiiiiiiiqqqqqqqqq

Tukaar

Bringer of DOOOOOOOM
Reaction score
Here it is:
SG Style Mahogany guitar
Dunlop strings (.11-.50)
(Here's where I'm going to get killed...)
ADA MP-1 preamp (Bass 9, mids 7, presence 12, treble 4, gain 1 @ 5 (maybe), gain 2 @ 7 I think.
Fender FM100 Half stack as a power amp.
Head EQ: Bass @ 9, Mids @ 6, Trebs @ 2.

')