Have you met any famous guitar player ? or musician

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
I met travis miguel and dan jacobs from atreyu back before anyone knew who the fuck they were. It was during the suicide notes and butterfly kisses days. They hung out at the bar and chilled with us for a half hour after their set. It was a lot of fun and those dudes were very nice. They just shot the shit about life and the music biz.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Also had Q&As at school with Don Ross, GGGarth, Greig Nori (singer from Treble Charger/the guy who discovered/produced/managed Sum 41). All nice guys.

Oh, and Fred Penner :hbang:

Luan

Reaction score
I met jeordie white from APC/Marilyn Manson/nin
And Jim Marshall

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
Lets see:

- All past & present members of Dream Theater (except C.Dominici & D.Sherinian)
- From Yes: Steve Howe, Jon Anderson (REALLY weird), Chris Squire, Bill Bruford
- Johnny Kelly (Type O Neg)
- All of Fear Factory (with and w/o Dino). Don't understand some of the hating on COW around here. Definitely doesn't deserve the bad rap he gets based on the few times we spoke.
- Chris Poland: I pretty much broke down into fanboy-mode. This was probably what I looked like when trying to talk to him. ---> :bowdown:
- YJM. Fucktard stunk of some bad cologne and BO. That's all I remember about that encounter.
- Dave Weiner and Rob Balducci.
- Jim Matheos & Frank Arresti (Fates Warning).
- Allan Holdsworth & Chris Broderick @ Winter NAMM last year.
- Jeff Beck (see Chris Poland reaction above)
- B.B. King
- Chet Atkins

There's probably 5 to 10 more I'm forgetting right now.

RiffRaff

Reaction score
sorry for the bump but a few days ago I met Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and David Crosby in a restaurant after their gig :D Really cool guys especially Nash.

Also met Page Hamilton after a Helmet show and that was amazing as he's one of the reasons I decided to pick up guitar in the first place. Really down to earth and a great guy... takes nothing for granted :metal:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Igor Cavalera, back in 2001, I was at a mall here in Santo André, the city where I live in Brazil, and he had a Cavalera clothing store in a mall called Shopping ABC. The ironic thing is that I was actually walking around and reading a magazine with Max on the cover.

I went to talk to him and I asked what he thought about Soulfly, he was kinda serious and said he loved his brother´s voice but didn´t like the riffs that much. And I asked him about his favorite band, he said it was Slayer.

I also met the guys from Angra one time in a concert they didn´t play, but they were watching (back in 1995, I was a 12 year old then).

And I went to a hotel in 2001 where Korn stayed in São Paulo, I saw Munky, but the security didn´t let me and the other guys there talk to him, but he said hi to us. Too bad I couldn´t talk to him.

14strings

UV7+AXE-FX+Mesa= :)
Reaction score
Lets see, grew up playing shows with Brent Smith from shinedown (heard them mentioned in one of the first posts)

Ive met...

John Petrucci

Maynard James Keenan
(2 APC backstage trips)
Josh Freese Paz Lenchantin Twiggy Ramirez Billy howerdale

Incubus (signed happy Bday poster from whole band hung out with brandon for about 2 hours and talked music)

311 ("partied")

deftones (drummers 30th Bday)

Morbid Angel

Crowbar

Hed PE

Sevendust

No doubt (hey Gwen is hot and this was before there first video so... yeah!)

Lady Galore from Lords of Acid (yeah)

I may have forgoten some...

I like to party.

IM Dr Roxo the rock N roll clown....

LOL!!!

Krunch

Krunch SMASH
Reaction score
I met Les Paul when I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My friends and I were alone in the very top room which was filled with Beatles manuscripts and he came in from a side door with his entourage. He chatted with us for a few and then vanished through the side door.

BrianCarroll

Reaction score
- Marcel Dadi, masterclass a very long time ago
- Patrick Rondat, masterclass and few times after gigs
- Al Di Meola and John Scofield, the same night, just a couple of questions
- Vernon Reid, spoke with him for 30mn - really nice guy
- Bumblefoot, 3 days long masterclass
- Christophe Godin, few times for clinics, gigs and masterclass
- Stephan Forte, few times, after gigs
- John Petrucci, met him in a music store before concert
- Shawn Lane, 2 days long masterclass and 4 or 5 times later for gigs
- Jonas Hellborg, during the SL masterclass
- Devin Townsend, after concert 5mn

I probably forget a couple of others...
:scratch:

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Adam, Rob, Ahrue : Machine Head

Jeff Campitelli/Satriani Band: He came by One Way Studios in Concord, Ca in 1994 when we were recording, he and the Owner/Engineer were friends. Nice guy, very quick introduction & that was about it.

Vicious Rumors: We opened for them in Saratoga, Ca on New Years Eve 97/98

Buck Dharma: BOC @ Tower Records 1985

Michael Angelo Batio: @ a clinic at Spitzer Music, Concord, Ca. Summer 1999.

Steve Perry/Journey: Seemed like he had a chip on his shoulder about something.

Ross Vallory/Journey: Complete opposite of Steve Perry, very down to earth, good sense of humor, loves to talk shop as far as instruments go, family guy, very courtious.

Neal Zaza: Great player, down to earth, a great teacher.

Jennifer Batten: She did a clinic in Concord, Ca in 1989, & afterwards sat down with me to teach me the "Beat It" solo from Michael Jackson that EVH recorded. A bit of a geek, but in a good way, very intelligent, very gifted, totally polite.

Papa Roach: we used to gig around the same clubs around 12 years ago

Systematic: " " " "

Troy Lukketta/Tesla: He was taking pics backstage at a show we did with his son's band in 2000.

Frank Hannon/Tesla: We ran into each other quite a number of times, including a funeral for a mutual friend whom was running sound for Great White in NY during the tragic fire. Real nice guy, very down to earth. We've shared some great conversations about family, country living & gear.

Eric Martin: Shared some drinks with him during a solo gig post the Mr. Big days.

Jason Newsted: Lives next door to a friend, nice guy, not big on being noticed out in public, keeps a bit of a low profile, likes his privacy.

Ronnie Montrose: Different kinda cat altogether, flaked & didn't show up for a local show once.

Brad Gillis: Nice guy, definitely likes being in the game, but is mellowing with age.

Stef Burns: Used to be in Alice Coopers band, then Y&T. Another local bay area cat, top notch player, now records & tours with Huey Lewis, has his own projects going as well, one of the most well rounded players around.

John Nady: I interviewed there shortly after the big "pay to play" deal, I ended up not getting the job, & glady so after I discovered some truths about him. He's insanely tall, a bit arrogant.

Pepino DeAugustino: Classical/World guitar player from the bay area, very creative, very eclectic, but a gentleman & a true proffessional.

Les Claypool: We used to be endorsed by ADA, he is actually a former employee, worked in the solder room. When Primus opened up for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour, Les reserved some tickets at will call for me & another friend whom worked at ADA. He's a totally down to earth normal guy, until you put him in front of a camera. During some photo shoots for the bass preamp ads, my friend Chris Keller who worked for ADA said that he'd start "geeking out" & makin faces.

Chris Wootan: another ADA endorsee, this was when Bela Fleck was doing really commercially well. Nice guy, talented bass player, rather shy.

Vernon "Ice" Black: another ADA endorsee, he was a session player, but landed a gig touring with Mariah Carrey in the early 90's, He is very soft spoken, but a very talented, multi styled guitar player.

Russel Means: Lakota activist, Nice guy, very passionate, not one to be screwed around with, very direct, but polite & respectful.

Dennis Banks: another Lakota activist, very similar personality to Mr. Means.

Greg Khin: He was buying his son an instrument in the mid-late 80's at Spitzer Music in Concord. Nice guy, short on words, seems very private.

Glenn Letch: He used to be in Montrose, then Sammy Hagars band pre-VH. He teaches locally, nice guy, very humble & down to earth.

Don Williams: Country artist, most known for "livin on tulsa time" that Eric Clapton re-recorded, then "I believe in you". I did a sound gig for him in Modesto a few years ago. He's very down to earth, humble, very polite. He treats everyone with the utmost level of respect. His crew is tenacious, his musicians are very talented. This guy has his amp & guitar setup so precise and consistent night after night, that it is actually measured at how far he is seated from his amp, the tilt angle of his amp, the settings/volume, etc... He was very easy to work with because he and his band replicated the exact setup at each and every show, which makes him very consistently productive in set up and sound checks.

& Lastly

Lars Ulrich/Metallica: This was at Systematic's record release party at the Cadillac Ranch in Concord, Ca. April 2001. He had a mob of security with him because of the hoopla about him signing Systematic & being executive producer. He wasn't comfortable, seemed a bit preturbed & overwhelmed, so with that in mind he behaved a bit "standoffish". He wasn't ready when the camera flashed, & I think it actually pissed him off a little.

TFS_Lars_April2002.jpg

emguitars

Reaction score
Joe Fucking Perry, autographed a telecaster I built!
Peter Frampton, super nice guy, and really short!
Steve Howe, one of the guys that made me decide to be a guitar player.
Steve Vai, nuff said!
Tony Levin, bass and stick player extraordinaire!
Michael Wilton, Queensryche.
Eddie Jackson,Queensryche.
Trey Gunn, King Crimson Stickist.
Jerry Marotta, amazing drummer!
Brian Bromberg, jazz bassist, played one of my basses once, dug it.
Howard Leese, Heart. Played my mandocello, said" this is swingin'"!
Roger Fisher, Heart. Interesting dude!
Bill Frisell, jazz great.
Davey Johnstone, Elton John band.
John Jorgenson, Elton John, also The Hellecasters.Played my mandocello, dug it!
Adrian Legg, acoustic fingerstyle wizard!
All of Symphony X. We're from New Jersey!
Probably more, but my brain is fried.
Eric.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I met David Silveria of Korn when they came to Lewiston, Maine in April of 1997. They were eating at a restaurant I was working at at the time. I was a line cook and I saw them coming in with their tour bus. :metal:

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
- John Petrucci, at a guitar clinic.
- Pin (from Sikth), relieved guitar lesson
- Michael Angelo Batio, had a good chin-wag with him at a guitar show

AsIAm666

Sevenator/Emo Killer
Reaction score
Lamb of God x2
Necrophagist
Silent Civilian
Steve Vai
Sleep Terror
Symphony X
Mike Portnoy (I know hes a drummer, but still lol)
Megadeth
As Blood Runs Black
I'm probably forgetting a couple.

Latest posts

')