Having a 7-string handmade / custom-built.

• Thread starter petrucci_dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
First off, I'm new here so I'll say HI to everyone.

My name is Scott and I'm from Sydney, Australia and I play in an original Progressive band called Disposition and I also play in an Orchestral Power Metal band called Counterpoint, aswell as doing my own musical thing which goes from genre to genre each song I write. I teach guitar from home and I'm going to a private uni to complete my Bachelor of Music Degree...

That's that outta the way now! On to the good shiet.

So I've been looking around at luthiers to have a custom 7-string (and 8-string down the track) built and just thought maybe there'd be some hardcore 7-string freaks who know EVERYTHING about woods, p/ups, paints, hardware etc that could help me out with my "part list."

Ok, so I'd like the John Petrucci sound, but I also like the Meshuggah dry tone (on albums like Destroy Erase Improve) which sounds absolutely brutal to me.

What woods would be best for the neck and body and what hardware should I look into? Keeping in mind, I LOVE hard tails and string thru etc, none of that Floyd Rose stuff anymore for me!

Thanks HEAPS in advance guys, even if no one feels like posting their opinions up, maybe a link to an old thread would help me. :) - I've searched through the site numerous times and just thought I'd create my own special thread for this purpose.

I've emailed Dan at ONI guitars about having custom 7's and 8's made but I just would like to know what woods and stuff to have the guitar made out of.

Regards,

Scott Davis

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez_fanboy

I want a 1527!!
Reaction score
petrucci_dude said:

I've emailed Dan at ONI guitars about having custom 7's and 8's made but I just would like to know what woods and stuff to have the guitar made out of.

just tell dan what sort of gear you will be playing, and he will set you up :D. dan is awesome and knows his stuff!

welcome to the forums, and damn you were up late. :lol:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
hey bro I'm working with Dan on a Oni quote so I'm just waiting on him to make a few calls. Good to see another Petrucci fan as well, check out bare knuckle pickups they are quite brutal sounding mofo's. I'm thinking about a nailbomb in the bridge and a miracle man in the neck but you gotta hear the user clips.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
Dan's stuff is pretty much beyond perfect dude, one day when I'm up there I'm going to visit and play his guitars (with or withOUT his permission :p).

If you search for threads about it, there will be a review which should include specs etc.

As for another guy, he's called Elysian but I'm not too sure if he's doing any more customs atm. He'll probably visit in this thread.

But man, these two know how to make guitars man, they're both brilliant luthiers.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
actually I tried out Elysian's 6 string and gave it a review I can't wait to play the Sigma 7 or the Superstrat 7

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Mark. A said:
Dan's stuff is pretty much beyond perfect dude, one day when I'm up there I'm going to visit and play his guitars (with or withOUT his permission :p).

If you search for threads about it, there will be a review which should include specs etc.

As for another guy, he's called Elysian but I'm not too sure if he's doing any more customs atm. He'll probably visit in this thread.

But man, these two know how to make guitars man, they're both brilliant luthiers.
i'm just a noob, dpm's the real brilliant one :bowdown:

i don't know when i'll be custom building, but i'm hoping i'll be able to within this year, i'll be doing repair full time and building after hours i think... put in a lot of hours, but its work i love to do, so its worth it to me.

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks guys.

This forum moves pretty quickly which is good too.

I'll most probably have Dan build it for me. Hehe, just need to save up! I have a home recording studio/teaching lab in the works, so that's number 1 on my list atm.

Cheers!

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Dan will build you exactly what you want if you describe it in reletive detail, I doubt you'd be dissapointed.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
ok this may not suit your tastes but heres what id love,

Mahogany body with quilted maple top
Ebony board (blank)
5 Piece maple bubinga neck
Lo-pro 7
Duncan jazz 59 neck and evo 7/x2n 7 bridge

just an idea i will get oen of these days

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking Mahogany. It would be heavy but I was thinking of having it one of Dan's shapes but like the S470 and S520 models how they are thinner on the sides. That looks and feels sick. I know this because I own an S470DX.

Cool I'm really gunna look into these ONI's still. I love Dan's work and designs, althought I'm a fan of his older headstock shape. :)

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
keep in mind that Dan only does oil finishes so you may want some nice looking woods like walnut or ziricote

The Sleeper

Reaction score
Hey there,
Mate we have some great builders on our doorstep here in Sydney. Charles Cilia especially comes to mind. His work is absolutely astounding and can pretty much build whatever you want.

If your after a Petrucci type tone you'd need to have the guitar made of basswood, maple neck & rosewood fretboard. His pickups for the early stuff were a Dimarzio Steve's Special & Air Norton on the 6's and Blaze 7 and Air Norton 7's for the 7 string. The most recent stuff he's been using a Dimarzio DS7 in the bridge position & Air Nortons in the neck position of his 6's & 7's.

Good luck with it!!!!! :hbang:

Catch ya.......Joe :)

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
JPMDan said:
keep in mind that Dan only does oil finishes so you may want some nice looking woods like walnut or ziricote
Actually Dan will have someone out of house do a very nice paint job if you like.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
The Sleeper said:
Hey there,
Mate we have some great builders on our doorstep here in Sydney. Charles Cilia especially comes to mind. His work is absolutely astounding and can pretty much build whatever you want.

If your after a Petrucci type tone you'd need to have the guitar made of basswood, maple neck & rosewood fretboard. His pickups for the early stuff were a Dimarzio Steve's Special & Air Norton on the 6's and Blaze 7 and Air Norton 7's for the 7 string. The most recent stuff he's been using a Dimarzio DS7 in the bridge position & Air Nortons in the neck position of his 6's & 7's.

Good luck with it!!!!! :hbang:

Catch ya.......Joe :)

when it comes to a 7 string guitar alder body is much more balanced than basswood. fingerboard doesnt contribute but its more of what your fingers like. Maple neck would be a great combo with the alder body. As far as pickups if you like his ibanez tone then yes Steve special and air norton but for his newer tone D Sonic and Air Norton pickups. But your stuck with the D Sonic when it comes to a custom 7 string.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
petrucci_dude said:
First off, I'm new here so I'll say HI to everyone.

My name is Scott and I'm from Sydney, Australia and I play in an original Progressive band called Disposition and I also play in an Orchestral Power Metal band called Counterpoint, aswell as doing my own musical thing which goes from genre to genre each song I write. I teach guitar from home and I'm going to a private uni to complete my Bachelor of Music Degree...

I'm guessing you're the same Scott I mentioned this place to on Smyth's forum. Welcome. :wavey:

petrucci_dude said:
So I've been looking around at luthiers to have a custom 7-string (and 8-string down the track) built and just thought maybe there'd be some hardcore 7-string freaks who know EVERYTHING about woods, p/ups, paints, hardware etc that could help me out with my "part list."

Ok, so I'd like the John Petrucci sound, but I also like the Meshuggah dry tone (on albums like Destroy Erase Improve) which sounds absolutely brutal to me.

What woods would be best for the neck and body and what hardware should I look into? Keeping in mind, I LOVE hard tails and string thru etc, none of that Floyd Rose stuff anymore for me!

Thanks HEAPS in advance guys, even if no one feels like posting their opinions up, maybe a link to an old thread would help me. :) - I've searched through the site numerous times and just thought I'd create my own special thread for this purpose.

Personally? Mine's maple neck-thru/alder, ebony board, tunomatic/String thru, but the most common answers I think you'll get here are maple neck/rosewood board/basswood body, and mahogany/ebony. Those seem to be the preferences.

For the Petrucci tone, you could just buy a EB/MM Petrucci - I pretty much nailed his tone with one of those and a Dual Rec once. ;)

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Not to slight the ever popular Dan, as he seems to be the man. But before I joined this site I had one made by Warmoth. Even if you don't use them to build one. Members of this site should always be supported first, but they have a great site to see what options are out there and pretty much every part you can think of. :agreed:

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
Not to slight the ever popular Dan
:lol: this thread is making me feel creepy

Papa Shank said:
Actually Dan will have someone out of house do a very nice paint job if you like.
That's become a bit of a problem as I can't find anyone I'm happy with. Huge expense involved too. Man, I was organising my emails last night - your folder has 200+!

Site's coming asap, I'm going to get some info together and have something a little simpler than I wanted up for a while.

Does Cillia have a website? I know Jeff Mallia has a good reputation, but I think he sticks to basses.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
dpm said:
That's become a bit of a problem as I can't find anyone I'm happy with. Huge expense involved too. Man, I was organising my emails last night - your folder has 200+!
Ahh, that's a pain in the arse :ugh: And I have a folder? I didn't know you felt that way :wub:

')